Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 10 2010, 02:14 AM   #91
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

Also, I'm now considering when watching any scene with Kazon in it, mentally replacing them with Pakleds.

Can't wait for "Basics" now. :P
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 04:29 PM   #92
kimc
Coffee Mod

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
"We are SMART."
"Brain? What is brain?"

Oops, wrong series...

SRFX wrote: View Post
Can't wait for "Basics" now. :P
My favorite two-parter. Sure, there aren't the kewl explosions of "Year of Hell" and "Scorpion" but there's also no borg or time travel (yeah!), just a good (imo) story.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 11:50 PM   #93
SRFX
Captain

From memory, I think I like Basics too but we shall see how it holds up soon
Old November 13 2010, 01:26 AM   #94
kimc
Coffee Mod

SRFX wrote: View Post
From memory, I think I like Basics too but we shall see how it holds up soon
Watch out for large lizards.

Old November 14 2010, 04:29 AM   #95
SRFX
Captain

RESISTANCE - 2x12 - 3/5

This episode could have been something amazing had the attention been focused on Janeway's relationship with Caylem, a man who has been driven to senility over the denial of losing his wife and daughter through what he sees as his on action/inaction. The exploration of the indignity he suffers every day under this cruel, militant regime and his mental substitution of Janeway as his daughter is where this episode needed to focus its attention.

Unfortunately this gets watered down by the prison bust/rescue stuff and whilst the pairing of BLT and Tuvok is a nice combination, it's not really substantial enough. Again, had there been more detailed scenes between them. There could've been more emotional impact to this episode.

Instead we get some fairly formulaic stuff with Voyager dealing with the bad military guy stuff, though there are some nice touches like the continuing of Voyager's bad reputation spreading throughout the DQ.

This episode is good, but not great.
Old November 14 2010, 04:44 AM   #96
SRFX
Captain

PROTOTYPE - 2x13 - 3/5

First off I REALLY like the opening perspective of this episode and I would've liked to have seen perhaps this whole episode play out through the perspective of 3947.

Anyway, yet again Neelix proves that he should shutup. The problem with Neelix is that I like him when he's being the experienced rogue trader dispensing knowledge and advice to the crew in regards to potential conflicts or dealings with alien races. He annoys the god damn shit out of me as this supposed Wise Sage Galley Chef, which at best comes off as Sesame Street and at worst, makes him appear to be a moron.

Just like the previous episode, 'Resistance', 'Prototype' suffers from being watered down, but this time it's with swathes of technobabble. In fact pretty much every piece of dialogue between the end of the opening credits and when the robot wakes up is irrelevant. They are just sciency words being said which could all be replaced with: "BLAH BLAH BLAH SCIENCE" and you would get the same amount of information and plot development from those scenes. I just want it all be over so we can get onto the story.

Once things do get a move on, I find that the scenes between BLT and 3947 are pretty good and probably the best aspects of the episode. I also like the plot as it's revealed: that both the creator races have been killed by each others creations, which now continue to fight forever.

And the episode ends well, with no solution being found. But the lead up to getting there was fairly dry thanks to technobabble. I finished the ep thinking that some sort of follow up encounter with these robots would've been interesting, but I guess we've got the Borg for that. :P

Also I find Mulgrew's pre-act-break line: "...SOME SORT OF ROBOTIC WAR.", so unintentionally hilarious I had to pause from laughing too much.
Old November 15 2010, 07:33 AM   #97
SRFX
Captain

ALLIANCES - 2x14 - 3/5

The opening to this episode is excellent. Seeing Voyager completely overwhelmed and getting the shit kicked out of it is more of what I want to see. Chakotay's words to Janeway: "I don't think we can afford to keep doing business as usual" are prophetic and it's a shame that these words appear to fall on deaf ears. Janeway's stubborn adherence to protocol is frustrating but at least in keeping with her character (so far).

This episode presents some interesting ideas and makes me wonder if they could've strung out this alliance with the Trabe for a few episodes before realising their real motives.

Neelix once again becomes used for what he's good at. Meeting with alien contacts and getting readings on situations before Voyager commits itself.

Unfortunately everything goes back to the way it was in the beginning and we get nothing out of this experience. I am giving this episode a 3 because the majority of it is really good stuff and what I want Voyager to be about. Unfortunately Janeway ruins it in all in the final scene by saying that the rules and principles of the Federation are the best allies they can have. It's corny, sappy bullshit and doesn't address the fact that they're STILL IN DANGER in the DQ.

I wouldn't blame this crew for mutiny and you'd think that some Maquis at this point would at the very least stage a coup against Janeway. This episode would've been superb had it actually depicted the consequences of the actions of characters in this episode. Unfortunately we get every wrapped up in a smug little package.

Voyager as a series keeps doing "business as usual" and I'm starting to remember why I remember being a Niner in the 90's rather than a Voyagerian.
Old November 15 2010, 07:43 AM   #98
SRFX
Captain

THRESHOLD - 2x15 - 0/5

Threshold or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Salamander

Great, just got into some negativity there at the end of Alliances. Threshold is not going to improve things. I was original thinking when going into this episode, that there's nothing to be said about this train wreck that hasn't been said already.

But I just can't help myself. So I'll just paraphrase the notes I made whilst watching this travesty to Trek.

- Personally, I like the concept of this episode. However it's the fact that they take an interesting scientific concept of infinite velocity and turn it into a bizarre Parisian mutation and then finally a salamander mating fest that just adds insult to the injury that this episode is.

- Neelix once again proves that he should just not talk whenever he's on chef duties.

- How the fuck does the holodeck simulate something that has been a scientifically impossible up until this point? I am all for them simulating what they can up until the point they reach transwarp. But at the stage I would expect the programme to generate an error or just end abruptly. As such, I wouldn't put too much stock in the holodeck's ability to simulate this endeavour like the crew seem to be.

- The crew reacting with incredulity when the shuttle reaches INFINITE VELOCITY still makes me laugh. I mean, they KNEW what was going to happen. So why are they so surprised when Paris disappears from range? THIS WAS TO BE EXPECTED GUYS.

- What gets me is that this episode aside from all the stupid moments, could've been something good (or at the very least passable), if either the plot lines became the focus of the episode. The transwarp breakthrough should've been an episode (perhaps something along the lines of ENT's "First Flight") and Tom Paris's degeneration into a mutant fish monster could've been scary and cool on it's own in a different story (something reminiscent of TNG's "Genesis"). The combination though is just baffling.

- Evolution is a reactionary process to environmental conditions causing a species to change through adaptation. IT IS NOT PRE-DETERMINED!

- No matter how many times I watch this, I can't get over the salamanders. It's just…….wow.

- I am giving this 0/5 because it's worse than bad. Bad would be a score of 1. Threshold takes interesting ideas, ruins them and turns Paris into a fish monster. Not to mention all of the loose ends regarding the gigaquads of information they found and the transwarp info Jonas gave to the Kazon. Although knowing the Kazon, they would be too stupid to figure it out.
Old November 15 2010, 03:02 PM   #99
kimc
Coffee Mod

"Resistance" is actually one of my favorite episodes mainly due to the relationship between Caylem and Janeway. The situation reminds me of regimes like Pinochet's Chile where people disappeared never to be seen or heard from again. To me the best Trek stories are socially relevant - not showcases for the borg, time travel or cgi explosions. The social relevance of this episode combined with the fantastic acting all around make this a winner for me.

As for "Threshold" it's probably the "Spock's Brain" of Voyager. Despite that it's a guilty pleasure for many. For some reason Tom wanting a pepperoni pizza while in sick bay is worth the price of admission.

Old November 15 2010, 04:39 PM   #100
SRFX
Captain

kimc wrote: View Post
"Resistance" is actually one of my favorite episodes mainly due to the relationship between Caylem and Janeway. The situation reminds me of regimes like Pinochet's Chile where people disappeared never to be seen or heard from again. To me the best Trek stories are socially relevant - not showcases for the borg, time travel or cgi explosions. The social relevance of this episode combined with the fantastic acting all around make this a winner for me.
Same for me, which is why when Voyager is poignant and sociological I enjoy as much as any other Trek.

kimc wrote:
As for "Threshold" it's probably the "Spock's Brain" of Voyager. Despite that it's a guilty pleasure for many. For some reason Tom wanting a pepperoni pizza while in sick bay is worth the price of admission.
I actually quite like that the episode tried to give Tom a lot of personality development and explanation of his motivations. Unfortunately it still wasn't enough to raise this ep from the grave.
Old November 17 2010, 01:26 AM   #101
SRFX
Captain

MELD - 2x16 - 5/5

This is definitely one of Voyager's all-time stand out episodes and just a terrific piece of Trek in it's own right. This is a very dark and superbly acted episode that explores some pretty hard issues like capital punishment and the inner-psyche of a homicidal psychopath. If Voyager isn't going to have long plot arcs like DS9, they very least it could do is pump out more of these sort of standalone episodes that explore human nature in great detail and intensity.

Brad Dourif is an amazing actor. I mostly know him from his later role as the doctor on Deadwood - who quickly became my favourite character. His portrayal of Lon Suder is believably gripping and getting to see him play off Tim Russ who finally gets to show his acting range in this episode is a total joy. It's even more interesting that Suder was made a Betazoid. They are a race typically known for their telepathy and emotional empathy, so making him a Betazoid who is completely emotionally detached and dysfunctional adds to the character enormously.

Even the minor B story about the crew setting up an illegal betting pool on the holodeck is cool and the rising tensions between Chak and Paris is interesting in itself.

There's not much else I have to say about this episode, but safe to say I've seen it many times and it's emotional impact is still as intense as when I first saw it. The final scene between Suder and Tuvok gives me goosebumps every time and I believe that is a true mark of a quality piece of acting and storytelling.

I have no qualms giving this episode 5 stars.
Old November 17 2010, 02:44 AM   #102
SRFX
Captain

DREADNOUGHT - 2x17 - 3/5

There's not a great deal to this episode as it is mostly an action piece but that's not to say it isn't a fun episode. It's a dramatic and tense situation with a runaway missile operated by a mind of it's own. The fact it speaks in B'Elanna's voice is also a little creepy

The story also provides some more good character background information for B'Elanna as well as the Maquis in general. Also, even though I know how the Paris Misbehavin' plotline ends up, it's fun to have an ongoing arc in this season. It might be a bit too early to tell, but season 2 may be my favourite season (despite the horrors of Threshold). Plus I dunno, but seeing those Cardassian computer panels just made everything feel familiar.

Mostly shallow stuff in this episode, but there's plenty of action and cool scenes that add to up to an entertaining three quarters of an hour. Plus it's always cool to watch a Captain go down with their ship.
Old November 18 2010, 11:05 AM   #103
NBG011
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's amazing that Meld comes right after Threshold. As if the writers did extra hours to make up for what they have done.
NBG011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 11:24 AM   #104
SRFX
Captain

I needed a big recovery from 'Threshold' and it was 'Meld' that kept my spirits high.
Old November 19 2010, 03:10 AM   #105
SRFX
Captain

DEATH WISH - 2x18 - 5/5

Yet another stand-out episode for this season. 'Death Wish' combines the still relevant and topical issue of euthanasia with the intriguing science-fiction concept of what happens to an omnipotent being who has experienced all there is to experience in the universe.

This is excellent development of the Q, but not character assassination. The Q are still beyond the comprehension of human beings and nothing really changes that by the end of this episode. I am not a huge fan of the later Q episodes on Voyager, but this one is a welcome addition to Q lore.

This is a well acted, funny, dramatic and emotional episode - everything that a good Q episode should be about. I would even say this is on par with TNG's strongest Q episodes (i.e. 'Deja Q' and 'Tapestry') and is much better than Q's token appearance on DS9.

This episode deals with some hard issues and the main actors in this episode all provide stellar performances. Also bonus points for B'Elanna making the call: "This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos!"