Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 10 2011, 06:30 AM   #196
froot
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

SRFX wrote: View Post
- Um, there are non-senior staff present on the bridge whilst they're crapping on about Omega
- …who also transported down to the planet to assist with the rescue
They killed them all afterward, obviously. Well, I mean, that's what I'd do.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 09:31 AM   #197
SRFX
Captain

Well, this is Janeway we're talking about.
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 06:27 AM   #198
SRFX
Captain

UNFORGETTABLE - 4x22 - 2/5

The premise is shaky as hell but at least the pheromone thing is an attempt to explain this episode's dilemma SLIGHTLY. But a shaky premise is okay IF the story goes somewhere amazing right? Unfortunately, the title of this episode is about as far from the truth as you can get.

To it's credit, I will concede the following plus points:

1. At least Chakotay isn't being a gullible dumbass this time, (although Neelix seems determined to change that)

2. Not entirely predictable

But this doesn't help when the story is SO BORING and even goes so far as to create a plot device DESIGNED to enforce the reset button style of so many of Voyager's stories.
Old March 18 2011, 06:34 AM   #199
SRFX
Captain

LIVING WITNESS - 4x23 - 5/5

One of Voyager and Trek's finest. This absolutely stellar premise, is engaging from the opening scene. The historical recreation of Voyager is shockingly fun, and if I may say, features Janeway's best hairstyle ever.

This is one of the few episodes of Voyager that establishes that the Doctor has a backup, and it makes total sense to do this! I won't hold it against this episode for the rest of the series failing to address this point of sense.

Henry Woronicz delivers another great guest performance and Picardo is stellar as ever. Even the ending was a damn fine resolution.

There's some problems with reconciling this species with the Federation's continued expansion of the alpha quadrant (you'd assume they'd make contact some day). But who cares. I'll hand wave this happily because this is such a fine piece of Trek.
Old March 19 2011, 06:09 AM   #200
SRFX
Captain

DEMON - 4x24 - 1/5

This episode is a total mess, but before I get into that, I want to discuss something.

If ever there was evidence that Tuvok is a dick for no reason, this is it. When the crew is funneling themselves into the various areas of the ship for power saving measures, Neelix is intercepted by Tuvok (by the way, Neelix falls over, which I enjoyed immensely). Neelix is dragging a whole pile of crap with him, which Tuvok says he can't do. Fair enough, take only the essentials. However, when it comes down to it, Neelix is taking a blanket, a book and some pillows. Tuvok says they can replicate Starfleet issue ones once he's there. WHY. NEELIX ALREADY HAS HIS SLEEPING GEAR. Why does he have to waste time taking them back, and energy replicating SPECIAL STARFLEET BLANKETS. I mean for crying out loud, not only is Tuvok being a dick for no reason, he's advocating wasting energy, THE WHOLE REASON THEY ARE CORRALLING PEOPLE INTO THE CARGO BAYS IN THE FIRST PLACE! The only non-essential Neelix is taking, is a BOOK. A FUCKING BOOK. Now I'm all for not making exceptions to rules, but really, if every crew member took a BOOK, it really wouldn't affect the problem of space being at a premium. I mean, Neelix could probably pocket it in that ridiculous outfit he has.

Tuvok: get over yourself you dick.

Anyway, this episode absolutely boggles my sensibilities. First of all, they can't send a mining probe down because it will be crushed. Okay, fair enough. But apparently, sending soft fleshy humans in SPACE SUITS IS FINE?! I seriously question a space exploration organisation that can't build a probe to withstand something a SPACE SUIT can withstand.

The episode continues to barrel forward with one nonsensical decision after another. I was thinking that if I turned my brain off I might enjoy this episode, but once my brain was off it just became a sequence of unexplained events leaving me bewildered.

Oh, by the way, the space suits have A BACKUP SYSTEM THAT MAINTAINS VITALS AND THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME IT COMES UP. So really, Tom and B'Elanna's near death confessions of love in "Day of Honor" were really just jumping the gun.

I was about to award this episode Facepalm out of 5, but the resolution wasn't terrible, and saved this from being a total write off. But it's not enough to elevate this beyond a Train Wreck.
Old March 21 2011, 01:44 AM   #201
SRFX
Captain

ONE - 4x25 - 1/5

About 15 minutes in you know exactly what this episode is going to entail. There's nothing really to comment on with this episode as it is boring, predictable and formulaic. The most depressing part is they re-use this episode type in Enterprise - like it wasn't boring enough the first time.

Also, I never get why turning off the life support system = instant evacuation of air. There would be enough ambient air on the ship to last at LEAST several hours.

Last edited by SRFX; March 21 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old March 21 2011, 03:15 AM   #202
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I loved "One" but "Demon" is truly awful, truly freaking awful.
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2011, 02:24 AM   #203
SRFX
Captain

HOPE AND FEAR - 4x26 - 4/5

Things start with more of the usual self righteous Janeway bullshit that keeps getting shoved down Seven's (and the audience's) throat. Fortunately, Seven balances this with a healthy amount of opposition.

The episode is yet another "you know they'll fail to get home" story, but of course, like with Eye of the Needle, if the fail is spectacular enough, I'll bite.

It's a little predictable, with Arturis obviously being too good to be true. But revealing his motives to be the repercussions of Voyager assisting the Borg is great, and I'm glad this was touched upon. It gives him an added dimension and I can't help but feel sorry for him, as sits on his ship, alone, waiting for the end.

There's a couple goofy moments, such as there being this huge obvious button underneath a huge obvious console on the bridge that switches everything to bad guy mode. Clearly Harry and Tuvok didn't check things over closely enough.

Overall, a nice season end-er and an interesting choice to not leave us with a cliffhanger.
Old April 11 2011, 02:58 AM   #204
SRFX
Captain

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 4 - average score: 3.12

Sigh, Voyager. What am I going to do with you?

Numerically, I guess I haven't quantified or reviewed TNG, DS9 or ENT. But I can't help but feel a comparable score for S4 to Voy's own S1 is a little disappointing.

Sure, things have improved upon seasons 2 and 3, but I was hoping for a more marked improvement in quality. And admittedly, season 1 was a very short season with a lot of the sub-par episodes being pushed on to season 2, so perhaps season 4 can stand on it's own in this regard due to it being a full 26 episode season.

There were many top tier (5 star) episodes this season: Year of Hell Parts 1 & 2, Message in a Bottle and Living Witness.

I also awarded plenty of high scores (4 star): Scorpion Part II, The Gift, Hunters, Prey, The Killing Game Part I and Hope and Fear.

The number of 1 star episodes was also far less than previous seasons, and after recalculating, I worked out the season average score improved if we were to ignore these episodes (Demon and One)

So on the plus side, this has been Voyager's best season yet. On the down side, I'm not confident it measures up well to TNG, DS9 or ENT's best seasons.

I'd have to review those series in more detail, but at the moment, this is how I'm feeling. If Season 5 can maintain or improve on Season 4, then so much the better and I remain optimistic.

Anyway, we'll be going into season 5 with a Harry Horror count currently at only 9. Season 4 has been very good to Harry with his worst (and only near death experience) being right at the start of the season.

That said, it hasn't stopped him being Janeway's whipping boy for a year.
Old May 19 2011, 03:44 AM   #205
SRFX
Captain

NIGHT - 5x01 - 4/5

I applaud the writers for this significant change of pace. It's been a long time since a Star Trek season ended and opened without a cliffhanger.

'Night' has a great sense of atmosphere to it. It presents the realities of space travel quite well, and the crew's method of dealing with that.

I am bit a uncertain about how to feel about Janeway though. On the one hand, it's great to see her feeling depressed and feeling responsible for the whole situation. Perhaps Arturis' words about Voyager's selfish desire to get to Earth at any cost are really hurting Janeway, a situation created by Janeway for stranding Voyager in the Delta Quadrant in the first place. On the other hand, it's a bit disturbing to see the Captain of a starship become this reclusive. Though I guess Voyager's situation wasn't really covered at the Academy.

There's plenty of great scenes between the characters and I especially enjoyed Seven's participation in Captain Proton: "I am Borg" *rips out guts of robot*

Although, speaking of that scene I was a little confused at how apparently in this episode, holographic forms persist despite there being no power. Seems in contradiction to previous depictions of the holodeck.
Old May 19 2011, 03:54 AM   #206
SRFX
Captain

DRONE - 5x02 - 4/5

I must have missed this episode entirely the first time I watched Voyager as I don't recall it all and it felt like a brand new episode! That's always a pleasant surprise.

It's also great when an episode you've completely forgotten happens to be really really good as well. It's a bit reminiscent of 'I, Borg" but that's okay, since that was a fairly stellar episode.

This is a little different though, as we're basically witnessing a Borg child taking it's first steps into the world and trying to understand the universe and the people in it. One is portrayed very well and the episode is great to watch, especially the interplay between him and Seven.

The episode also manages to elevate itself with One's heartbreaking sacrifice, which also contributes to Seven's growth as a person.
Old May 19 2011, 04:26 AM   #207
SRFX
Captain

EXTREME RISK - 5x03 - 2/5

Sigh Voyager, you just couldn't keep it up could you and have a third great episode in a row? Oh well, at least I've gotta give them credit for trying with this episode, which is the only reason I gave it a 2 instead a 1. Dawson's portrayal of someone with depression is completely fine. My problem is that this seems to come out of absolutely no where.

My partner suffers from chronic depression and has been for several years. I have lived with and observed his varying emotional and physical states. It's not something that just appears out of absolutely no where. It is an observable and gradual change in mood and behaviour over a reasonably long period of time.

I am very uncomfortable with the scene between Paris, Chakotay and Janeway where they agree to violate Torres' privacy. You cannot confront and betray people with depression like this. Sufferers need to seek professional help and can only do that if they are encouraged by friends around them whom they can trust and again, this can take a LONG period of time to happen.

The scene towards the end of the episode between Chakotay and Torres is very good, however, it don't like where things end up. This could be a precursor to Torres seeking the help she needs, but leaving it at just a conversation with Chakotay and Torres saying she will eventually be fine is not a realistic resolution. Sufferers of depression need to seek the professional help of a psychologist, or at the very least, a counsellor - someone they don't have an emotional investment in. I know USS Voyager is not in an ideal situation, but the Doctor could provide this to some degree.

I am all for Star Trek tackling this issue, but I am not happy with the lip service this serious sociological and mental health issue is given in this episode, especially since it presents some false, simplistic resolutions to an issue that doesn't really come up ever again.

Voyager is notorious for reset button style storytelling. Jeri Taylor has specifically stated that the show needed to be mostly self contained episodes, which as a creative decision, is her prerogative (even if it's a dumb decision). In that case, DON'T tackle issues that can't be explored and given the proper respect it deserves in 40 minutes. At best it comes off as half-assed and at worst, ignorant and arrogant.

The stuff about building the Delta Flyer is fun, but mostly immaterial. I probably would've preferred if this episode was only about that storyline and played out in a Space Race/The Right Stuff kinda way.

I understand I have a vested emotional interest in this issue, and that colours my opinion on this episode. But there is no way I can put those feelings to the side when a franchise I love treats an issue I care about so deeply with such disrespect.
Old June 13 2011, 04:55 AM   #208
SRFX
Captain

IN THE FLESH - 5x04 - 2/5

How the mighty have fallen. Species 8472's appearance as Hirogen prey last season was very effective. This was a lone entity, badly injured and yet it still put up a hell of a fight. More was learned about 8472, but not everything was revealed.

In the Flesh plays out like an episode of Futurama where Chakofry ends up on a planet of aliens who want to destroy us for no reason and are masquerading as humans. Oh, and he makes out with one of them.

Voyager is guilty of causing the Borg's villain decay, but it pales compared to Species 8472's fall from grace. They go from being this unstoppable malevolent force of twisted nature to a bunch of paranoid cowards.

I mean, I'm all for a diplomatic solution but this is just wraps up too neatly for my tastes. Admittedly, this would be an OK concept if the aliens involved weren't 8472, but they are, and this is what's become of them.
Old June 14 2011, 12:19 PM   #209
Mr. Scott
Commander

Gee thanks for all the reviews and storylines SRFX. But I think that 98% of us on here have already seen everything on Trek and if we wanted to find an episode, we can look it up on Wiki.

I have been doing a marathon Voyager watch now myself and I will say that it is probably my second favorite Trek series next to DS9.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 03:45 AM   #210
SRFX
Captain

It's probably my fault for not updating often enough (changing life circumstances), but I'd be doing this regardless of interest. Besides, I've had others asking me to keep it up and I figure since I've come this far I may as well see it through to the end.

Unless a moderator tells me otherwise.