Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 1 2011, 01:08 PM   #151
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

DISPLACED - 3x24 - 1/5

So the crew are being replaced by aliens who don't like the cold and then Janeway threatens to beam them all into a cold climate. Voyager wins.

Moving on...
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 01:12 PM   #152
SRFX
Captain

WORST CASE SCENARIO - 3x25 - 2/5

Hooray, yet more holodeck faux-drama nonsense I'm supposed to care about. Heaven forbid we actually have some real conflict between Starfleet and the Maquis.

Anyway, I may have actually liked this had this episode just solely been a harmless exploration of the crew having fun with the holonovel. Instead we get a bizarre Seska gambit. As a result, I had a hard time caring about the second-half of this episode. Yawn.
Old January 1 2011, 01:27 PM   #153
SRFX
Captain

SCORPION, PART I - 3x26 - 5/5

First of all, can I just say thank GOD for Scorpion. I don't think I could handle yet another bad-to-mediocre entry from season 3. Not only is this terrible season of Trek over, but it is redeemed (almost) by ending in a really exciting and interesting way.

The episode opens with the Borg being fucked over by...something. What better way to open an episode; I am instantly hooked.

Janeway having an interest in Leonardo Da Vinci is much more sensical and appropriate for her than the victorian period drama shit which was boring and entirely out of place. As a woman of science, I can totally get with this association (even if it is a little corny).

There's something about this episode which feels, solid and confident. Like Voyager is finally coming into its own and figuring out what it wants to be about. The use of an existing Trek race but in an exciting and different way is a welcome direction for the series. As for the new species, the concept of Species 8472 is excellent and they are compelling and visually impressive as a villain with the CGI holding up pretty well over the last decade. The main cast themselves all seem to be finally settling on who they are and what they are about. Janeway's stubborn desire to get home at any cost, Chakotay's cautious and non-confrontational nature and Harry's ability to get shit dumped on him at every turn. Even Kes, an oft-forgotten character gets an important (if a little Deanna Troi-ish) role in this episode.

I feel Janeway's reasoning for risking the ship and establishing an alliance with the Borg is a bit shaky, but do agree with her position that it's a worthwhile opportunity. I also agree with Chakotay's idea of playing it safe, but unfortunately he gets lumbered with another boring animal fable so it makes his perspective appear weak comparison. However I am always a fan of pitting Janeway and Chakotay against each other, so yay for that.

In addition to the action and drama, there are many great special effects sequences - Voyager being tossed about by the wave of Borg ships is awesome.

HARRY HORROR #9: Is attacked and being consumed by Species 8472. As the Doc puts it he's being "eaten alive".
Old January 1 2011, 01:43 PM   #154
SRFX
Captain

So here we close Star Trek: Voyager, season 3. This has been Voyager's weakest season to date with my score average being 2.73 out of 5. There were only three real gems of the season (Real Life, Distant Origin and Scorpion, Part I) and whilst there were no Thresholds, there were plenty of 1/5 episode scores to bring it down.

So here we are, about to embark on Voyager, Season 4 where Seven of Nine is introduced (tentative 'yay') and Kes is written out of the show (BOOO!). If I recall, I think this is my favourite season of Voyager, so let's see how things go. God knows I need something to lift my spirits after Season 3.

Comparing Voyager to other ST series at this point, whilst Next Gen and Enterprise came into their own during their third seasons, I have always felt DS9's season 3 was a big stumbling point for the series. Whilst DS9's producers seemed to re-tool the show, the storytelling didn't really change much from the first two seasons and I felt season 3 seemed to stagnate the series. They introduced the Defiant, promoted Sisko and introduced the Dominion - but the show seemed to stall on this last point. I didn't feel DS9 came into it's own until Season 4 and since I happen to rate DS9 as Trek's best series, I will give Voyager the benefit of the doubt.

Voyager, you've got this season to prove to me you're a worthwhile series, so let's get cracking!
Old January 1 2011, 09:54 PM   #155
froot
Fleet Captain

SRFX wrote: View Post
Janeway having an interest in Leonardo Da Vinci is much more sensical and appropriate for her than the victorian period drama shit which was boring and entirely out of place. As a woman of science, I can totally get with this association (even if it is a little corny).
Amen.

Good luck with 4. I feel most or all of 4 is a tad darker in tone than 1-3.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 10:39 PM   #156
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I think it was Kate who suggested Davinci, since Janeway is supposed to be a scientist first, and a Captain second.

I did love the "wet look" after the two had been dumped in the river.
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 09:20 AM   #157
SRFX
Captain

SCORPION, PART II - 4x01 - 4/5

Part II doesn't maintain the same high levels of action and suspense compared to Part I, but is still a satisying resolution and a great season opener.

I remember being irritated by the introduction of Seven of Nine as I saw her as just adding boobs to a show with flagging ratings, but with the benefit of hindsight, I welcome her addition as she became one of the show's best characters.

The conflict between Chakotay and Janeway is great and adds a bit of substance to an episode that could've almost been a bit on the shallow side. An enjoyable resolution to one of Voyager's strongest and most exciting episodes yet.
Old January 10 2011, 06:14 AM   #158
SRFX
Captain

THE GIFT - 4x02 - 4/5

I am so pissed about Kes being written out of this show, even after almost 15 years. But fortunately, in a rare moment for Trek, Kes gets written out appropriately and satisfyingly in a pretty decent episode.

There's a lot of nice juxtaposition between Seven's fledgling days on Voyager and Kes' final days with the crew. Both characters are treated well in this episode. Kes' ascension to a higher plane of existence is in keeping with her development so far. Probably the only niggle is that it feels like it's come too early.

The conflict between Janeway and Seven is excellent and whilst I am unable to ascertain whether we're SUPPOSED to take a particular side during their arguments, I've always found myself siding with Seven of Nine.

One thing I would've preferred is if Seven's appearance became re-humanised over the course of the season, rather than by the end of this episode. Although I suspect TPTB were to blame for this decision.
Old January 10 2011, 06:17 AM   #159
SRFX
Captain

DAY OF HONOR - 4x03 - 2/5

This episode could've been a dramatic highlight of the season but unfortunately, it comes off a bit dry and boring.

The best parts are Seven's interaction with other members of the crew, although her 'lesson' at the end of the episode was pretty hackneyed.

I suppose Tom and B'Elanna's storyline is welcome development for their characters. but the spacesuit scene is just a bit too cornball.
Old January 10 2011, 06:20 AM   #160
SRFX
Captain

NEMESIS - 4x04 - 2/5

I can see what they were going for in this episode, but since an off-topic episode for Voyager needs to be pretty special, this comes off as a reasonable episode, but largely forgettable and irrelevant. Not to mention the moral lesson was a bit ham-fisted.

Chakotay being a soldier was cool I suppose and it gave Beltran some acting time at the very least.
Old January 11 2011, 01:55 AM   #161
SRFX
Captain

REVULSION - 4x05 - 2/5

This episode is odd in that there are lots more interesting things happening in the background and you get the impression that main plot is just not that important. Tom and B'Elanna progress more, Neelix is actually being useful for once, Paris gets recruited as a nurse and Tuvok is promoted. Harry Kim is an idiot, but an amusing idiot. He is hopeless around Seven and it's clearly evident this guy's issues with women are fairly deep seeded.

The Doc and B'Elanna versus a psychotic alien hologram is better than the usual holodeck drama of the week, but it's a little lacking in substance. The alien hologram lacks any real depth or complexity, especially when compared to other holodeck antagonists like Professor Moriarty, making him boring, uninteresting and nothing more than a cliched horror archetype.
Old January 12 2011, 09:17 AM   #162
SRFX
Captain

THE RAVEN - 4x06 - 3/5

I get the impression this was supposed to be Seven's first major character focus episode, but it spends too long setting her up for going crazy and leaving the ship, that not much time is left for exploring The Raven and resolving the episode. As such it's a little on the dull side but a good development and background for Seven nonetheless.

There was also something nifty about seeing a Federation ship crash landed in the Delta Quadrant, although it raises a great deal of questions as to how it got to there in the first place. Did the Borg drag it there and THEN assimilate them? Was it in tow for while as they assimilated the technology and then discarded it?

Anyway, if memory serves, I believe this gets covered later on so I'll leave the pondering for now.
Old January 12 2011, 09:23 AM   #163
SRFX
Captain

SCIENTIFIC METHOD - 4x07 - 3/5

I want to say this episode sucked, but I just can't. This is an episode I remember quite fondly for some reason that I've seen it numerous times overs the years and have sort of a soft spot for it. The idea of using Seven's own ocular implant to detect the aliens is a neat idea, although I am concerned this won't come up ever again. There's a LOT of medico-babble here too.

Paris and Torres get to have fun and make out in various parts of the ship, which is dumb as hell, but can't help but feel it's cute as well. Janeway grills them hardcore which is entertaining to watch.

Janeway's solution to the problem is pretty extreme, but for once, I think I'm with her on this decision, plus it played out in a cool space sequence with Voyager barreling towards the anomaly at full steam.
Old January 12 2011, 10:57 AM   #164
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

I just found this thread and am really enjoying your reviews. Keep it up
Old January 12 2011, 11:44 AM   #165
SRFX
Captain

Thank you