RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,375
Posts: 5,504,256
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 453
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 22 2010, 07:01 PM   #91
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

How about Allison Mack!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:22 PM   #92
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Pretty much right. The Reeves movies, especially 1 and 2, got it right. Unless they have something new to do with the character (just as the Reeve version did new things the Reeves and Alyn versions couldn't), there's no reason to make something new, as Superman Returns proved.

Hell, they're about to "reboot" Spiderman -- why??
Because some of us would be quite happy seeing another team's take on the material.

No one's forcing you to watch these movies. If you don't think there should be any more Supes movies, don't watch 'em.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:28 PM   #93
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Well, can anybody name a strong Supergirl storyline that doesn't involve other major superheroes? That's problem number one, imo.
Why use an existing storyline?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:41 PM   #94
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Sorry, but as beautiful as she is, I don't want anybody from Smallville in any future Superman or Supergirl movie. It's also time for that show to finish up and be done with itself as well.
Well she was only in one episode, and is better known for more substantial roles on Friday Night Lights and Supernatural. Plus the general public doesn't watch Smallville and probably wouldn't recognize anyone associated with the show anyway.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:43 PM   #95
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
Well, can anybody name a strong Supergirl storyline that doesn't involve other major superheroes? That's problem number one, imo.
Why use an existing storyline?
Exactly. Pretty much every big superhero blockbuster has made up an original storyline. Aside from the specific details of the hero's origin, very rarely have the movies just done a straight adaptation of an old comic book storyline. WATCHMEN is the exception to rule.

Just to cite the most relevant example: I don't recall any classic SUPERMAN issues where Lex Luthor tried to drop California into the ocean by launching a nuclear missile at the San Andreas fault. Or a graphic novel where he gave up his powers right before General Zod escaped from the Phantom Zone . . . .

The movies tend to cherry-pick cool images and scenes from the comics, then come up with a two-hour storyline that connects them together. Often this involves boiling fifty years of convoluted continuity into one stream-lined, movie-friendly plot.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:45 PM   #96
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I'm a fan of the puffy sleeves, hot pants/short shorts and choker look.
I loved this costume - it was the one she wore when I was collecting.


Gaith wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Pretty much right. The Reeves movies, especially 1 and 2, got it right. Unless they have something new to do with the character (just as the Reeve version did new things the Reeves and Alyn versions couldn't), there's no reason to make something new, as Superman Returns proved.

Hell, they're about to "reboot" Spiderman -- why??
Because some of us would be quite happy seeing another team's take on the material.

No one's forcing you to watch these movies. If you don't think there should be any more Supes movies, don't watch 'em.
So... I can only express an opinion if I'll engage in the fan-boy circle-jerk.
I think not.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:53 PM   #97
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

^^ Not at all. By all means, express whatever opinion you like. But you asked a question, and I answered it. My friendly advice that you not watch stuff you have no interest in was in no way meant to discourage you from commenting on it in the first place.

But as this thread demonstrates, pretty much all of us would like to see a new Supergirl movie of some kind, so if anyone can be accused of trying to shut down the discussion, well...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 08:03 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Whether or not she was famous wasn't what I was getting at at all.

I am all for picking unknowns for iconic-type roles. My point was Helen Slater, while pretty, was no more different than any of the hundreds of other pretty young blonds trying to make it in movies.
She was different from those hundreds, because unlike 99% of them, she was successful. She's not the failure you're casting her as. She was the lead performer and title character in her first two movies, Supergirl and The Legend of Billie Jean. Not many actresses can say that. She went on to major roles in films like Ruthless People, The Secret of My Success, Sticky Fingers (her third lead role), and Happy Together -- that's six movies in six years in which she was first, second, or fourth-billed. She then had a regular role in a TV series called Capital News the following year, and then had a substantial role in City Slickers the year after that. The year after that, she began a recurring role as the voice of Talia al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series. The year after that, she was the lead in the theatrical feature Betrayal of the Dove and the co-lead in the TV movie 12:01. And she continued to have lead roles in theatrical and TV movies for years thereafter, though they inevitably began to drop off as she got older. But for at least eleven years, Helen Slater was getting leading-lady roles in films and television on a regular basis, and continued to do so on a less regular basis for at least another seven years thereafter. And she's continued to work steadily as a utility player in film and TV to this day, including lead roles in two films coming out later this year, Beautiful Wave and Power & Pride.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000644/

That is a very good career record for any actress. In fact, Helen Slater has slightly more acting credits on her resume than Christopher Reeve did. (And that is a fair comparison despite Reeve's 2004 death, because Reeve started his film career about six years before Slater did, so it's about the same interval. Although it's worth noting that Reeve had nearly twice as many credits "as himself" as he had acting credits, so he was undeniably more famous. But fame isn't the only measure of professional success.) So your dismissal of her career is simply counterfactual.



Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
Well, can anybody name a strong Supergirl storyline that doesn't involve other major superheroes? That's problem number one, imo.
Why use an existing storyline?
I think Snaploud's intent may be to question whether Supergirl is capable of carrying a story on her own as opposed to being a supporting player.

If that were an issue, how about a Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes film?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 08:28 PM   #99
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Whether or not she was famous wasn't what I was getting at at all.

I am all for picking unknowns for iconic-type roles. My point was Helen Slater, while pretty, was no more different than any of the hundreds of other pretty young blonds trying to make it in movies.
She was different from those hundreds, because unlike 99% of them, she was successful. She's not the failure you're casting her as. She was the lead performer and title character in her first two movies, Supergirl and The Legend of Billie Jean. Not many actresses can say that. She went on to major roles in films like Ruthless People, The Secret of My Success, Sticky Fingers (her third lead role), and Happy Together -- that's six movies in six years in which she was first, second, or fourth-billed. She then had a regular role in a TV series called Capital News the following year, and then had a substantial role in City Slickers the year after that. The year after that, she began a recurring role as the voice of Talia al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series. The year after that, she was the lead in the theatrical feature Betrayal of the Dove and the co-lead in the TV movie 12:01. And she continued to have lead roles in theatrical and TV movies for years thereafter, though they inevitably began to drop off as she got older. But for at least eleven years, Helen Slater was getting leading-lady roles in films and television on a regular basis, and continued to do so on a less regular basis for at least another seven years thereafter. And she's continued to work steadily as a utility player in film and TV to this day, including lead roles in two films coming out later this year, Beautiful Wave and Power & Pride.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000644/

That is a very good career record for any actress. In fact, Helen Slater has slightly more acting credits on her resume than Christopher Reeve did. (And that is a fair comparison despite Reeve's 2004 death, because Reeve started his film career about six years before Slater did, so it's about the same interval. Although it's worth noting that Reeve had nearly twice as many credits "as himself" as he had acting credits, so he was undeniably more famous. But fame isn't the only measure of professional success.) So your dismissal of her career is simply counterfactual.
Whoa! Back the trolley up! You are reading waay into my post. Whether or not she has had a successful career has no baring on what I was saying as I was focusing my comments strictly around the time in her casting as Supergirl. Also, in no way did I dismiss her career. Please don't put words into my mouth.

My point, as you conveniently left out of your quoting of me, was she did nothing really to define herself as Supergirl and that she was very pedestrian in her acting as Supergirl. Because of that, I don't find her casting to be "inspired".
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 10:33 PM   #100
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
...she did nothing really to define herself as Supergirl and that she was very pedestrian in her acting as Supergirl. Because of that, I don't find her casting to be "inspired".
Since I used the term first, I'll respond:
Slater was cast with some serious heavy hitters - an all-star cast, really -- picking up the mantle of an extremely successful movie franchise.
She conveyed exactly what the movie required her to convey, and embodied its vision of Supergirl. She had no awkward "bad acting" moments (bear in mind she was a trained actress), and held her own within the contraints of the part opposite the affore-mentioned heavyweights.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 11:16 PM   #101
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

A new Supergirl movie seems like kind of a no-brainer to me-- frankly even more than a new Superman. First, she's got all the powers and abilities of Supes, so you're not going to have a problem making the movie be action-packed and spectacular enough (which seems to be the main drawback with female superhero movies).

And second, she's a hot girl in a freakin mini skirt flying around kicking ass and shooting lasers out of her eyes!! That should appeal equally to both girls and guys, I would think.

Not to mention the fact it actually feels like kind of a fresh idea by this point (and something different from seeing yet ANOTHER buff dude in a leather superhero outfit). If it was done well, I think people would be all for that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 11:19 PM   #102
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
...she did nothing really to define herself as Supergirl and that she was very pedestrian in her acting as Supergirl. Because of that, I don't find her casting to be "inspired".
Since I used the term first, I'll respond:
Slater was cast with some serious heavy hitters - an all-star cast, really -- picking up the mantle of an extremely successful movie franchise.
She conveyed exactly what the movie required her to convey, and embodied its vision of Supergirl. She had no awkward "bad acting" moments (bear in mind she was a trained actress), and held her own within the contraints of the part opposite the affore-mentioned heavyweights.
I thought she was great in the role. Yeah the character was written a bit too naive and love-obsessed, but that certainly wasn't Slater's fault.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 11:23 PM   #103
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Re: A beaker full of death:

I'll grant you that (although, I found her scenes with the love-interest are very awkward and clunky, but that is probably just lousy direction and writing than the actual performances).

However, because she was able to "hold her own" in a movie with a lot of talent doesn't necessarily mean she was an inspired casting choice.

Then again, I guess it depends on what it is meant by "inspired casting". When I think of "inspired casting", I think of an actor that you wouldn't necessarily connect with the role, and not only meets, but exceeds your expectations in what they bring to the character. For example, Heath Ledger as Joker in The Dark Knight I feel was inspired casting as was Tom Cruise as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 11:37 PM   #104
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
Well, can anybody name a strong Supergirl storyline that doesn't involve other major superheroes? That's problem number one, imo.
Why use an existing storyline?
I think Snaploud's intent may be to question whether Supergirl is capable of carrying a story on her own as opposed to being a supporting player.
Yep (particularly a supporting player to properties D.C. will probably be unwilling to use in her movie)


If that were an issue, how about a Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes film?
Good call. I think that would be our best shot at getting either a Supergirl movie or a Legion movie. It would also give D.C. a chance to put out a team movie without having to risk their major properties.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 11:39 PM   #105
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Re: A beaker full of death:

I'll grant you that (although, I found her scenes with the love-interest are very awkward and clunky, but that is probably just lousy direction and writing than the actual performances).

However, because she was able to "hold her own" in a movie with a lot of talent doesn't necessarily mean she was an inspired casting choice.

Then again, I guess it depends on what it is meant by "inspired casting". When I think of "inspired casting", I think of an actor that you wouldn't necessarily connect with the role, and not only meets, but exceeds your expectations in what they bring to the character. For example, Heath Ledger as Joker in The Dark Knight I feel was inspired casting as was Tom Cruise as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.
So, "inspired casting" is the art of casting people that don't look the part normally?

That's a narrow definition.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
supergirl

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.