Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 22 2010, 02:01 AM   #61
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Not my choice for Supergirl, but apparently someone else's:

Up...up...and away....

There is another photoshop floating around online with Elisha Cuthbert as Kara aka Supergirl.....
Old June 22 2010, 03:28 AM   #62
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Oy. How soon they forget.

Last edited by T'Grinch; September 28 2014 at 01:21 AM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 03:45 AM   #63
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Not my choice for Supergirl, but apparently someone else's:

...Again, this would've worked when she was in her teens (around and after she did the show Popular Mechanics For Kids, but before she was on 24 and starred in The Girl Next Door).

Sorry guys, but this is the kind of character that should really be done by a teenage girl and not a twenty-year-old woman. What you all want would be like having Harry Potter be played by a 18-year-old man instead of the 12-13 year old that he started out as.

Gaith wrote: View Post
Waifs, sir. Waifs without the physique of a Kryptonian.
Uh, Supergirl is a waif, most of the time; she looks like most teenage girls, most of the time (and the few times that I've seen her in comic books, her physique isn't any different from other girls her age.) So that point doesn't quite wash with me. Maybe the actress who plays her could be built up a little, but who would really notice or care?
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 03:58 AM   #64
Jetfire

^
I mentioned Taylor Momsen(Gossip Girl) who is 16 going on 17 and is very talented...not to mention a very beautiful young lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0g8fbmMgQ
Old June 22 2010, 04:00 AM   #65
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Yes, we get it. Helen Slater was a very attractive Supergirl (although, what is going on with that wall of hair above her forehead?). However, that movie was terrible. Oh, it had its moments, but it was bad then, and it is bad now.

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that Helen Slater should reprise her role of Supergirl in a potential future movie, but that would just be plain silly.
Old June 22 2010, 06:51 AM   #66
Hermiod
Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Waifs, sir. Waifs without the physique of a Kryptonian.
Uh, Supergirl is a waif, most of the time; she looks like most teenage girls, most of the time (and the few times that I've seen her in comic books, her physique isn't any different from other girls her age.) So that point doesn't quite wash with me. Maybe the actress who plays her could be built up a little, but who would really notice or care?
Even Lex Luthor commented on her chest being "unimpressive" the last time she came back.

Though this may be because he's used to a world where no superheroine can get medical insurance because of their pre-existing back problems...
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 06:59 AM   #67
Hyperspace05
Commodore

How about completely throwing out the Supergirl origin and make her the daughter of Superman? (who is now off in a distant part of the universe for some reason) This could also add some more dramatic tension by dialing her powers down a bit, being half-human.

As for who to cast... Certainly it needs to be someone athletic (no C, D, or E cup needed). Beautiful, but no Megan Fox. Someone who could realistically blend in as a normal person (not a supermodel) when not being Supergirl. And there's no reason why she has to be blonde. Or have long hair.

They simply need to approach the casting process like for the first Superman movie. They need to look at what made Christopher Reeve so perfect for the role.
- He wasn't a star at the time
- He was solidly built, but not a wrester or bodybuilder (looked good in costume, but not out of place in a suit)
- Good looks without being a model

Instead of a Helen Slater type I'd rather go for a Milla Jovovich type. And NO, I AM NOT SUGGESTING HER! Just someone who projects a similar balance of beauty and athleticism.

And the costume needs a serious overhaul as well, but I have probably written enough heresy for one post.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:13 AM   #68
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Yes, we get it. Helen Slater was a very attractive Supergirl (although, what is going on with that wall of hair above her forehead?). However, that movie was terrible. Oh, it had its moments, but it was bad then, and it is bad now.

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that Helen Slater should reprise her role of Supergirl in a potential future movie, but that would just be plain silly.
I'm saying there's nothing more to do with Supergirl. The movie's been done. They're sure as hell not going to find a better cast. They won't have better effects. The script was awful, sure, but are they really going to find a pulitzer prize winner to write the next one?
Supergirl has been done. Let's move along.

Jetfire wrote: View Post
^
I mentioned Taylor Momsen(Gossip Girl) who is 16 going on 17 and is very talented...

Oh dear god someone feed her a sandwich. And then teach her a little poise.

Jetfire wrote: View Post
not to mention a very beautiful young lady.
beautiful, a.
A. adj. Full of beauty, possessing the qualities which constitute beauty.

1. Excelling in grace of form, charm of colouring, and other qualities which delight the eye, and call forth admiration: a. of the human face or figure.
Old June 22 2010, 07:22 AM   #69
Jetfire

^
Whatever.
Old June 22 2010, 07:28 AM   #70
Hyperspace05
Commodore

To further exemplarize what I would like to see with a blend of beauty and athleticism - she is not an actress, but someone like her could sell the part:

(http://karthikhce.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=319&h=425)

and the more famous pose: http://www.whattofix.com/images/AllisonStokke.jpg
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:51 AM   #71
Aragorn
Admiral

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 07:56 AM   #72
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Hmmmmmm....... Not a fan of her music, but not a bad choice.
Old June 22 2010, 07:56 AM   #73
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
How about completely throwing out the Supergirl origin and make her the daughter of Superman? (who is now off in a distant part of the universe for some reason) This could also add some more dramatic tension by dialing her powers down a bit, being half-human.
If any thought is meant to be directed toward getting the fans of the comics to see the movie, this is a bad idea. And the movie Kryptonians have dialed down powers to begin with.

As for who to cast... Certainly it needs to be someone athletic (no C, D, or E cup needed). Beautiful, but no Megan Fox. Someone who could realistically blend in as a normal person (not a supermodel) when not being Supergirl. And there's no reason why she has to be blonde. Or have long hair.
While I agree with the athleticism, regardless of the appearance of the secret identity, Supergirl, to appeal to the aforementioned comics fans, and to refer to past characterizations, still must be blonde. And have long hair.

They simply need to approach the casting process like for the first Superman movie. They need to look at what made Christopher Reeve so perfect for the role.
- He wasn't a star at the time
- He was solidly built, but not a wrester or bodybuilder (looked good in costume, but not out of place in a suit)
- Good looks without being a model
Point for point:
- No, you are correct, he was not a star.
- He needed to work out for several months before shooting began, as he was quite thin. What he was was tall, and handsome.
- You need to do some research. The reason he was considered was his modeling and soap opera career.

Instead of a Helen Slater type I'd rather go for a Milla Jovovich type. And NO, I AM NOT SUGGESTING HER! Just someone who projects a similar balance of beauty and athleticism.
QFT

And the costume needs a serious overhaul as well, but I have probably written enough heresy for one post.
There's nothing wrong with the costume. It doesn't need to be armored or anything, she's Supergirl! And besides, if they go with the bare midriff, the screaming movie fans will die in ecstasy.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 08:52 AM   #74
Gaith
Rear Admiral

@ Greg Cox: I enjoyed reading your thoughts, and while I could quibble with one or two things you wrote, won't... except to ask if (provided you thought it was a good idea in the first place) you'd like to see a ScarJo Supergirl now that she's Black Widow. I would've loved to before that casting, but would now vote against it.

What you all want would be like having Harry Potter be played by a 18-year-old man instead of the 12-13 year old that he started out as.
No, because we wanted the Harry Potter movies to be faithful to the books. But of those who've commented so far, you and the others pushing for a comics-accurate teen girl at the expense of a bodacious babe are in the considerable minority.

Maybe the actress who plays her could be built up a little, but who would really notice or care?
The vast majority of the movie audience that's never seen a Supergirl comic and doesn't give a rat's ass that she's most often portrayed as a teen, that's who.

----------

Here's one vote 100% against a bare midriff... though I would tolerate an exception for battle damage, a la Geonosis Padme.

And yes, she must have long blonde hair. It's just one of those things. IMHO: Supes can be black or mixed-race, but not bald. Lois can be about any race, foreign-born with an accent even, but must be a brunette. Lex Luthor and the Kents must be white. Just one of those things.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2010, 01:26 PM   #75
Plan 9
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You really have an inflated opinion of yourself, huh?

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that sticking to the most common portrayals in the comics is the way to go for most comic book movies. It's sort of the point of adapting comic books for the big screen. Adapting doesn't mean completely rewriting and bastardizing everything from the comics, it means changing as little as you can and still make it as believable as possible. Iron Man has been a very good adaptation for that very reason.

The same would be true of Supergirl in my opinion, as well as most other comic book characters. There's plenty of big-boobed superheroes out there. If you're that shallow of a human being, advocate one of them being made for your masturbatory sessions. Leave more realistically and believable built heroes like Supergirl alone, please.
"Ah, what's the use of makin' a fuss. Last night I saw a flyin' object that couldn't a possibly been from this planet, but I can't talk about it. I'm muzzled by Army Brass. I can't even admit I saw the thing!"
--Jeff Trent, Plan 9 From Outer Space
Plan 9 is offline   Reply With Quote