Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 24 2010, 04:35 PM   #136
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

^Why are you getting so angry about a character called Supergirl being played by a younger actress ?

She's supposed to be what ? 16 ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 07:33 PM   #137
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Plan 9 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^"Bodacious" doesn't mean large-breasted.
Whatever. His intent was clear.
Christopher is correct. I did indeed suggest that the actress should have a nice body, but you twisted that into saying that I was advocating one that wasn't "realistic [or] believable". Well, some completely realistic and believable human females have great and "bodacious" (in the 80s sense of "awesome" and "excellent") figures. To imply otherwise is frankly insulting to statuesque women.

Besides, this is an alien we're talking about; it's not as though I'm demanding that a future Buffy actress be "super"-shapely. Hell, I know an English gal who doesn't have model looks or a large chest, but whom I'd cast as Lara Croft in a heartbeat, because of her personality and dry wit.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 08:18 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

However, I still don't understand Gaith's premise that casting a 16-to-18-year-old actress is in any way incompatible with casting a sexy or well-developed actress. Plenty of women are just as statuesque or voluptuous at 16 or 17 as they are at 22 or 26. As I recall, when Venus and Serena Williams began showing up at major tennis tournaments around that age, they had just about the same physiques they've had ever since, and nobody would call either of them waiflike. I also recall a number of my female high-school classmates having quite well-developed figures at 16 or 17.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 08:20 PM   #139
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

As I recall, when Venus and Serena Williams began showing up at major tennis tournaments around that age, they had just about the same physiques they've had ever since, and nobody would call either of them waiflike.
Yeah, but they're dudes.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 08:21 PM   #140
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Are you talking about Rhona Mitra?

Too late.

She was the original model for the first designs which were made for the first game. The Boobs were an accident/joke that got out of hand and were supposed to be reduced to a realistic size before it was time to show the final product to the customer.

Supergirl shouldn't have boobs YET. What part of "girl" escapes the collective "yous" vision on this subject? Think to catch a predator. Hells bells, could you imagine how pointless hitgirl in Kick ass would have been if she was 18 with boobs the size of breadboxes? It'd've been a lionshate less amazing that she beat the shit out of all those guidos if she wasn't an 1/8th the mass of any one of them when she executed near 50 of the mobster buggers simulataneously. On in the last episode of Buffy seaon 5 when some one says "How did you do that, you're just a girl." That sort of thing.

Supergirl should not have a great body (Jeph Loeb sold out designing the new supergirl inventing a booby nymph for cleavage covers of his comics.), and if you think she has a great body for an 11 year old, then your are either 12 or hinting that you want a jail cell in the near future.

Supergirl with boobs, a driver license and a love interest is the third movie.

Oh.

Jake Lloyd vs. Hayden Christianson.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 09:14 PM   #141
Christopher
Writer

Shazam! wrote: View Post
As I recall, when Venus and Serena Williams began showing up at major tennis tournaments around that age, they had just about the same physiques they've had ever since, and nobody would call either of them waiflike.
Yeah, but they're dudes.
You need to get your eyes -- or your assumptions -- checked. They're two of the sexiest women in tennis. Venus has legs that go on forever, and Serena has got to be the most curvaceous female athlete I've ever seen. Hardly masculine in either case. If anything, Serena makes superheroines like Power Girl more plausible, because she proves that having atypically large breasts is not necessarily an impediment to an athlete's speed or agility.

Old June 24 2010, 11:55 PM   #142
Gaith
Rear Admiral

However, I still don't understand Gaith's premise that casting a 16-to-18-year-old actress is in any way incompatible with casting a sexy or well-developed actress.
It ain't - Emma Watson, for instance, is welcome to let me take her out for a drink anytime - but all other things being equal, I'd rather drool over a 22-24y.o. than 16-18y.o.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Are you talking about Rhona Mitra?
No, I was talking about an English (not American playing English, hem) university friend, early 20s. Good grief: are you suggesting that Rhona Mitra doesn't have model looks?

Supergirl shouldn't have boobs YET. What part of "girl" escapes the collective "yous" vision on this subject?
This point has been brought up and addressed earlier in the thread. Which part of that discussion did you not grok?

Besides, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but women are routinely called "girl" well into their 30s, sometimes even later. When we say "girlfriend", we don't necessarily mean "teenage female partner". Same thing.

Hells bells, could you imagine how pointless hitgirl in Kick ass would have been if she was 18 with boobs the size of breadboxes?
I don't give a fig about that movie.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 12:34 AM   #143
Christopher
Writer

A comparison to Hit Girl seems incongruous, since Supergirl has always been portrayed as a teen or young adult, not a preteen (except in the Tiny Titans comic where all the heroes are portrayed as grade schoolers).

Old June 25 2010, 01:08 AM   #144
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A comparison to Hit Girl seems incongruous, since Supergirl has always been portrayed as a teen or young adult, not a preteen (except in the Tiny Titans comic where all the heroes are portrayed as grade schoolers).

Exactly. From the beginning, Supergirl has always been written as teenager, concerned with boys and dating, etc.

In its defense, the SUPERGIRL movie was actually closer in tone to the original Silver Age SUPERGIRL comics than most "serious" comic book fans might care to to admit.

Watching the movie for the first time, I got the distinct impression that the screenwriter had indeed read a stack of vintage 1960s DC Comics . . . .

Too bad the movie came out in the eighties!
Old June 25 2010, 01:33 AM   #145
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nothing wrong with the 80s.

15 in the 60s is like 7 in the modern day.

The 14 year olds I went to school with were riddled with s.t.d's and barely able to get up past noon on the the week days because of the deathgrip their hangovers fettered on them.

Old June 25 2010, 02:29 AM   #146
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Exactly. From the beginning, Supergirl has always been written as teenager, concerned with boys and dating, etc.

No, she hasn't. The Supergirl of my youth was older and more mature. From 1972 to her death in 1986, hot pants Supergirl was a normal, healthy woman in her 20s, well past the characterization you describe.

Old June 25 2010, 02:33 AM   #147
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

No, she hasn't. The Supergirl of my youth was older and more mature. From 1972 to her death in 1986, hot pants Supergirl was a normal, healthy woman in her 20s, well past the characterization you describe.

Well, what I meant was that she wasn't a little kid like Hit Girl . . . .

But way back when I started reading her, in the sixties, she was just Linda Lee, a teenage girl living in an orphanage, and going to sock hops and things.

"Hot Pants" Supergirl came later.
Old June 25 2010, 02:37 AM   #148
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Supergirl shouldn't have boobs YET. What part of "girl" escapes the collective "yous" vision on this subject?
hmmm.... do you wish to alert Betty White, or shall I?

Oh nuts, and Sue Storm Richards is even married! Must be from Mississippi...
Old June 25 2010, 02:39 AM   #149
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Well, what I meant was that she wasn't a little kid like Hit Girl . . . .
ah. I see I shouldn't just jump into the middle of a conversation.
Old June 25 2010, 03:20 AM   #150
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Who read Peter David's take on Kara Zor-El time ripped from the 60s deposited into the final issues of his comic back in 2002ish? As far as her rack was concerned, i only have two words to explain what eventually made it to the printed page: Ed Benes.

http://maidofmight.net/gallery/album...py_Returns.jpg