Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

New Space Battleship Yamato live action movie trailer

* http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/new-spa...-opera-win.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHXxWg7pw4

Here's the good news—we just saw the new trailer for Space Battleship Yamato, and it looks like director Takashi Yamazaki's 2.2-billion-yen budget was well spent. Space Battleship Yamato could surprise us all by being one of the best sci-fi movies of the year.

But here's the bad news—the film, a live-action adaptation of the original anime TV series, doesn't have a U.S. release date, so for now the only way to see it when it opens Dec. 1 is for those of us who don't already live there to head to Japan.

After seeing the trailer, though, we're ready to book our tickets now. How about you?
CaptainHarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2010, 06:17 PM   #2
John Clark
Commodore

Re: New Space Battleship Yamato live action movie trailer

I haven't seen any of the original, but I think the trailer looks fairly good.
Old June 29 2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Caliburn24
Commodore

I like the shorter teaser that came out awhile ago more, the music and editing was punchier.

This trailer is good, and I definitely want to see it, but it has too much dialogue which I can't understand.

A lot of the space stuff looks very similar to NuBSG.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

CaptainHarlock wrote: View Post
* http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/new-spa...-opera-win.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHXxWg7pw4

Here's the good news—we just saw the new trailer for Space Battleship Yamato, and it looks like director Takashi Yamazaki's 2.2-billion-yen budget was well spent. Space Battleship Yamato could surprise us all by being one of the best sci-fi movies of the year.

But here's the bad news—the film, a live-action adaptation of the original anime TV series, doesn't have a U.S. release date, so for now the only way to see it when it opens Dec. 1 is for those of us who don't already live there to head to Japan.

After seeing the trailer, though, we're ready to book our tickets now. How about you?
Here's the trailer in all of it's glory:
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Is there any hope for American theaters to show it?

I know a local movie theater...who would they need to contactto get this movie at their theater, here in Chicago?
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I wouldn't expect to see this in a US theater but I'm sure a DVD will come out at some point. These live-action anime (and game) adaptations always end up disappointing but it looks to have some promise. I'd certainly be curious to check it out.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

I have no idea what that was or what it was about... but the trailer had some sweet FX!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 01:07 AM   #8
arch101
Fleet Captain

As a "Yamato" fan going back to the '70's, seeing the trailers have been a real hoot! So strange to see it all realized in live-action after all these years. With that budget, I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of international release. It'll probably show up in the same small theaters where you find other foreign films. (a wide release would cost too much) Fortunately, just such a foreign film cinema is right down the street from me
Old June 30 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Holy crap it's awesome. I love the Yamato universe. I try and keep my expectations low, but I'm pretty psyched about it.

And I want one of those officer's coats.
Old June 30 2010, 03:28 AM   #10
Theonethatis
Commander

For Mr Light, Space battleship Yamato was a anime made in 1974. The Gamilus empire bombs the earth with Radioactive Planet bombs. In one year all of life on the earth will cease to exist. However hope comes from far outside our galaxy. Queen Starsha has a machine called the Cosmo DNA cleaner. It will remove all the radiation from the earth.

There are however two problems. There are no starships capable of making the trip since all of them have been destroyed. However enter the Yamato project. The Yamato project seeks to covertly transform the rusting decaying hulk of a WW2 Battleship into a starship. Also Queen Starsha has given earth the plans for the Wave Motion Engine. The first faster then light engine that mankind has ever seen. Also along with the engine Starsha has given plans for a huge frickin gun called the Wave Motion gun. These 2 pieces of alien technology are placed into the Yamato helping to transform the old batteship into a spaceship to be reckoned with. Hence the title Space Battleship Yamato.

The second problem is this." Can the Yamato travel 147,000 light years in just one earth year? Hurry Yamato the Human Race is counting on you!!!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LfHAh0jAY

Last edited by Theonethatis; June 30 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: got the damn light years mixed up!!
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

There's also a new Yamato anime movie/TV show out now:
Space Cruiser Yamato: The Next Generation (it looks like a next generation to me anyway)
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 06:30 AM   #12
Theonethatis
Commander

That came out last year and supposedly did not do to well. I still want to see it though. I will watch anything with my favorite space worthy battleship in it.
Old June 30 2010, 11:23 AM   #13
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Theonethatis wrote: View Post
Also along with the engine Starsha has given plans for a huge frickin gun called the Wave Motion gun.
I seem to remember that the Wave Motion Gun was something the Earth Defense Force created by themselves reverse-engineering the Wave Motion Engine. And Starsha was pissed about it. Typically human.
Old June 30 2010, 11:30 AM   #14
FreezeC77
Commodore

The FX in this trailer are markedly improved from the first teasers of it. Sure it's not going to be Hollywood big-budget quality, but it doesn't look too bad.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Theonethatis
Commander

I don't remember that at all. I just watched it last year and am pretty sure the Wave motion gun was also part of the package. However I could be wrong and would like to know for sure. Will look into it and report my findings.