Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 8 2010, 01:59 AM   #121
JD
Admiral

Re: Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

If anyone's curious, here's the real one:
On a diplomatic mission to the planet Andor, Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E bear witness to the rank devastation resulting from the Borg invasion. With the reproductive issues that have long plagued the Andorian people reaching crisis level, avenues of research that at first held great promise have proven largely unhelpful, and may well indeed be worsening the problem.

Despite the Federation's seeming inability to provide assistance and growing doubt over its commitment to a staunch, longtime ally, Andorian scientists now offer renewed hope for a solution. However, many segments of Andorian society are protesting this controversial new approach, and more radical sects are beginning to make their displeasure known by any means available. In response, President Nanietta Bacco has sent the Enterprise crew and a team of diplomats and scientists to Andor to convene a summit, in the hope of demonstrating that the Federation's pledge to helping Andor is sincere.

But the Typhon Pact is watching, and their interests may very well lead the Andorian people down an even more treacherous path. . . .
As for you're interpretation, I don't really see the Andorian's considering changing their sexes (I'm not saying it's impossible, just doesn't seem likely to me). I do think you're bit about the Tholians might be likely though, that's certainly the impression this description gives me.
Old July 8 2010, 02:17 AM   #122
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I for one am greatly looking forward to this book. The whole Andorian extinction issue is one of the most compelling storylines of Treklit. The fact that such a technologically advanced culture could be placed in such a horrible cultural crisis is intriguing.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 04:36 AM   #123
TerraUnam
Commander

I just expect there to be heaps of jealousy thrown around. Lots of navel-gazing all round about what happened to the Andorians in the Borg Invasion, how Earth got off, and how Humans have managed to reproduce like crazy and mate with so many species.

The Andorians, Humans and Vulcans all signed on to the Federation as equals, but their population curves have been anything but.

And then T'Ryssa Chen walks in the room.
Old July 8 2010, 05:05 AM   #124
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
Six months out from publication. That might be a new record for someone dismissing my work before even bothering to read it.
You get used to it after awhile.
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 05:49 AM   #125
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

One thing I learned from William Leisner in the Best & Worst thread is that you can'tt necessarily count on the back cover blurbs to be even remotely correct. They may. They may not. I assume the same would go for advance information.

When an author says:
William Leisner wrote: View Post
Ignore the backcover copy of Losing the Peace. Please. I don't know who wrote it, but it was never presented to me for comment or approval, and had it been, I would have insisted the entire mess be shit-canned and rewritten from word one.
I'd take it as a good reason to ignore the cover copy.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 08:21 AM   #126
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
On a diplomatic mission to the planet Andor, Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E bear witness to the rank devastation resulting from the Borg invasion. With the reproductive issues that have long plagued the Andorian people reaching crisis level, avenues of research that at first held great promise have proven largely unhelpful, and may well indeed be worsening the problem.

Despite the Federation's seeming inability to provide assistance and growing doubt over its commitment to a staunch, longtime ally, Andorian scientists now offer renewed hope for a solution. However, many segments of Andorian society are protesting this controversial new approach, and more radical sects are beginning to make their displeasure known by any means available. In response, President Nanietta Bacco has sent the Enterprise crew and a team of diplomats and scientists to Andor to convene a summit, in the hope of demonstrating that the Federation's pledge to helping Andor is sincere.

But the Typhon Pact is watching, and their interests may very well lead the Andorian people down an even more treacherous path. . . .
As for you're interpretation, I don't really see the Andorian's considering changing their sexes (I'm not saying it's impossible, just doesn't seem likely to me). I do think you're bit about the Tholians might be likely though, that's certainly the impression this description gives me.
The part about the Tholians is certain - between the posted blurbs and the title.
And the part about the cure via 2 sexes is quite likely - a cure that encounters such opposition from Andorians? Either that or the cure will kill half the andorian people.

MNM wrote: View Post
^^ Man, how whiny does that make the Andorians sound? "Wah, you might have faced down the biggest Borg invasion fleet ever seen, you might have saved the galaxy from an event that killed over 60 billion people, you might have even done it in a way that removed the Borg threat forever and kept the Federation alive as a viable entity. But did you do it quick enough stop Andoria getting a few scrathes?? No you did not!"
Man, that sounds like a really obnoxiously snot-nosed dismissal of a book that won't be out for six months, on the sole basis of an unofficial blurb.

Not a criticism or anything. Just an observation.
Not a criticism? "obnoxiously snot-nosed"?
This IS a criticism, William Leisner. Your disclaimer is contradicted by the rest of your post.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 12:23 PM   #127
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

^ Don't strain your neck looking for my point, dude...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 04:25 PM   #128
JD
Admiral

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post

The part about the Tholians is certain - between the posted blurbs and the title.
And the part about the cure via 2 sexes is quite likely - a cure that encounters such opposition from Andorians? Either that or the cure will kill half the andorian people.
The more I think about the more the more I realize that it could be the two sexes thing, it definitely would upset alot of the Andorians, and would solve the problem.
Old July 8 2010, 04:49 PM   #129
TerraUnam
Commander

The two sexes thing was first seen in World of DS9 Vol. 1, a book which Paths seems to build on.
Old July 8 2010, 05:25 PM   #130
ClayinCA
Commodore

That's a great line. Mind if I steal it?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 05:33 PM   #131
MNM
Captain

Man, that sounds like a really obnoxiously snot-nosed dismissal of a book that won't be out for six months, on the sole basis of an unofficial blurb.

Not a criticism or anything. Just an observation.
You know, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

But hey it's the man who called me unimagitive a while back. Hello!

Alas for you, you used the words "dismissal" and "criticism" about what I wrote. Both of which paint you as wrong about what I said. It wasnt a criticism, just how I felt about some of what I read, which is not even the official wording anyway. But I still stand by it, how Proto worded it makes them sound whiny to me.

And dismissal? Do people on here have a different definition of the word than I do? I didnt dismiss anything. If I had, I would have said "man that sounds crap".
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 06:27 PM   #132
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

Same back to you, William.
Old July 8 2010, 09:10 PM   #133
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I must admit the Andorian 2-genders thing sounds like some sort of reverse version of an insane backup Andorian retcon plot should Enterprise have made it clear they only had two genders during it's run. I could see a TOS-era novel splitting them fourways to line up ENT and DS9R
Old July 9 2010, 02:36 AM   #134
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
That's a great line. Mind if I steal it?
Oh, I'm sure it's not especially original. Use it as you like.

It's nice to see my advice being taken to heart.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2010, 07:33 AM   #135
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

It's nice to see my advice being taken to heart.
You want your so-called "advice" to be taken seriously?
Then follow it yourself, first.