Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 20 2010, 12:37 AM   #61
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Isn't the new Quantum Slipstream drive rendering DS9 and the wormhole moot anyway? The next generation of starships will be able to make the wormhole journey in weeks or months and within a decade or two all the main powers, and eventually all their freighters, will be using the drive.
Old June 20 2010, 01:19 AM   #62
TerraUnam
Commander

I see from trekmovie that "In Shariel's Jaw's" is noted as a Trade Paperback.

I take it from other threads that these take longer to write, do they not?
TerraUnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 01:47 AM   #63
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
I see from trekmovie that "In Shariel's Jaw's" is noted as a Trade Paperback.

I take it from other threads that these take longer to write, do they not?
What other threads are you talking about? More on point, who in these other threads is saying silly shit like this?

No, the format the manuscript is ultimately printed in has no bearing in and of itself on how long it takes to write the manuscript.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 02:46 AM   #64
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

I too am hoping that a DS9 title is eventually announced for 2011. Didn't the relaunch start in 2001? The 10 year mark seems like it's worth a book. But I suppose with so much Trek out there, every year is the anniversary of something. lol

I think I might reread the relaunch soon. I've not reread anything except a few of the Worlds of DS9 entries.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 05:21 AM   #65
JD
Admiral

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about the DS9 Relaunch, we had two books last year and one coming up this year. If you ask me that is pretty good, because with some many series going and all of the new standalone books we're getting not every series is going to get a book every year.
Old June 20 2010, 05:43 AM   #66
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I think some people were expecting that after the delays the line took, there would be some kind of effort to tilt the scales towards giving more DS9 stories, to sort of lessen the image of the line being 'shafted.' And with the DS9 novels taking place behind the rest of the lines, there's probably more than a few who wanted the novel line to rejoin modern continuity the old fashioned way, by having more stories take place there, rather than just a time jump.

This is just my guess, though.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 07:49 AM   #67
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

i would like a non typhon pact titan book/
i will probably get the typhon pact one but i dont know how many of the current story lines will show up in it.
Old June 20 2010, 12:33 PM   #68
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

U was really enjoying the stories Titan was telling before Destiny, a starship exploring far beyond where anyone had gone before. I'm not sure I'l be picking it up with Titan so close to home. It feels like they want it close for doing crossovers.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 12:46 PM   #69
flemm
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about the DS9 Relaunch ...
I don't think there's any big mystery. The DS9 relaunch up through Worlds and Warpath was a great series with a lot of momentum that a lot of people really enjoyed following.

To say it has "lost momentum" at this point is a nice way of putting it. Whatever, these things happen. Now it looks like the series is going to jump forward, meaning it's possible that a lot of the storylines won't be completed, something that is understandably disappointing to some.

Of course it is possible that the DS9-R can get a second wind once it is brought up to date with everything else, which is what I personally am hoping for. However, that's going to take some doing. It would need to be something along the lines of the excellent work that Kirsten Beyer has done with Voyager, except more difficult because you don't really have the option of just sending the DS9 crew off on a mission somewhere. Traditionally DS9 stories involve a variety of worlds in the alpha quadrant, most of which are implicated in other events for the time being.

It's tricky, and I certainly don't envy the writer/editor who has to plan this out, but I hope somebody thinks of something

I think the way to go would be a heavily gamma quadrant-oriented story, since that material is less tied up elsewhere and remains to be fleshed out. What we need is a Deep Space Nine: Fall of the Dominion title added to that list

(That was said in jest, but if that feels too much like a story idea, let me know, and I will delete it )

Last edited by flemm; June 20 2010 at 12:57 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 01:52 PM   #70
flandry84
Captain

TBH,I'm not sure there is any point to 'jumping' DS9 forward anyway.If the series is to be as badly serviced as it is now,then what exactly is the point?
The cynic in me thinks that a DS9 that runs concurrent with TNG etc. is ripe only for the occasional crossover.That may sound unduly cynical but nobody can argue that DS9 has gotten a fair shake recently.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 03:39 PM   #71
JD
Admiral

I'm not going to deny that DS9 has had some bad luck as a series with changing authors then Destiny and then the change in editors, but I really think that the last couple years are plenty give us plenty of proof that the series is back on it's way to where it used to be (at least numbers wise) and just because one early schedule doesn't include it doesn't mean that the series will disapear again.
Old June 20 2010, 04:15 PM   #72
MNM
Captain

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I'm growing a little disappointed with Pocket's scheduling decisions (both this year and upcoming in 2011). Granted, I can understand how the behind-the-scenes editorial shakeups and the abrupt cancellation/delay of the four ST'09 tie-in novels kinda threw a wrench in their plans. Still, I'm a little bummed about the next 18 months or so of Trek lit. I'm eagerly waiting for the four Typhon Pact books to finally arrive. After that? Not much on my radar... VOY: Children of the Storm is the only guaranteed buy. I'm curious about both Indistinguishable From Magic and DTI: Watching the Clock, but I'll wait to hear more about these titles before I decide to read them.
I have to agree. Very little of the stuff that has been mentioned interests me. Ah well, what can you do. Just have to wait and see if the Ascendant stuff actually ever sees the light of day in the DS9 books, and hope for more Aventine and maybe a decent sounding post-Destiny TNG book.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 04:38 PM   #73
flemm
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I'm not going to deny that DS9 has had some bad luck as a series with changing authors then Destiny and then the change in editors, but I really think that the last couple years are plenty give us plenty of proof that the series is back on it's way to where it used to be (at least numbers wise) and just because one early schedule doesn't include it doesn't mean that the series will disapear again.

I think people were hoping that the series would get back on track following Typhon Pact (certainly that was my hope), so seeing nothing on the schedule for the coming year is disappointing. Hence the expression of... disappointment

Obviously, if something is added or if there is a DS9-R book in January 2012 or whatever, that will soothe some apprehension and make people happy. Then there will be expressions of... happiness
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 04:44 PM   #74
captcalhoun
Admiral

is that right, a MMPB version of Blind Man's Buff in August after the HC debuts in January?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 07:21 PM   #75
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

Soooo, does anyone know if there's any chance of "Distant Early Warning" getting reprinted in the VGD novella collection?
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote