RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 388
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 19 2010, 01:58 PM   #46
EJA
Fleet Captain

Re: Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Cast No Shadow sounds good, I too have really wanted to see more of Valeris. But what's happened to those YA Abramsverse books?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 02:04 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

EJA wrote: View Post
But what's happened to those YA Abramsverse books?
Nothing. They're still on the schedule for November 2010 and January 2011. The ST Magazine announcement is for the 2011 schedule, and it does mention the January YA title (as seen here at TrekMovie), but I assume that wasn't mentioned in this thread because it wasn't new information.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 02:28 PM   #48
Jono
Rear Admiral

What is DTI?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 02:41 PM   #49
JAG
Vice Admiral

Department of Temporal Investigation
Old June 19 2010, 02:45 PM   #50
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

Yet again, there seems to be no DS9 relaunch novel.

How the mighty have fallen.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 03:05 PM   #51
JD
Admiral

Well, we did get two last year and one thing year, so it's not that bad.

Oh, and as Christopher pointed out in his post some of the info is now up at Trek movie.
Old June 19 2010, 03:31 PM   #52
Dark Dreamer
Ensign

I'm dissappointed that there is no DS9 on the list. I was hoping that the DS9 relaunch would be back on track and moving forward after Rough Beasts of Empire.
Dark Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 04:37 PM   #53
Reanok
Commodore

I'm glad there's going to be a reprint of the First Romulan war novel.And that comment by Micheal about the next novel delveing into Vulcan Mythology definitely sounds like a continuation of the season 4 Vulcan arc from the tv series.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 04:37 PM   #54
flemm
Fleet Captain

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post

How the mighty have fallen.
Alas, yes, though perhaps we'll feel differently after reading Rough Beasts
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 04:42 PM   #55
Reanok
Commodore

I just read the short synopsis for this book and it mentions Sisko's flashbacks of the Tzenkethi war.It looks like we'll finally get the backstory of the events when Sisko served on the Okinowa.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 04:58 PM   #56
flemm
Fleet Captain

Reanok wrote: View Post
I just read the short synopsis for this book and it mentions Sisko's flashbacks of the Tzenkethi war.It looks like we'll finally get the backstory of the events when Sisko served on the Okinowa.
For that reason I won't be surprised if the story feels fairly insular with regard to what we have seen previously in the DS9-R, while perhaps focusing only on Sisko's past and his current isolation.

The situation is a bit awkward due to the fact that DS9 stories can affect large chunks of the alpha quadrant and the entire gamma quadrant (since that's where we left Odo), thus potentially causing all kinds of continuity issues with everything else that is going on post-Destiny.

Last edited by flemm; June 19 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old June 19 2010, 05:21 PM   #57
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I'm growing a little disappointed with Pocket's scheduling decisions (both this year and upcoming in 2011). Granted, I can understand how the behind-the-scenes editorial shakeups and the abrupt cancellation/delay of the four ST'09 tie-in novels kinda threw a wrench in their plans. Still, I'm a little bummed about the next 18 months or so of Trek lit. I'm eagerly waiting for the four Typhon Pact books to finally arrive. After that? Not much on my radar... VOY: Children of the Storm is the only guaranteed buy. I'm curious about both Indistinguishable From Magic and DTI: Watching the Clock, but I'll wait to hear more about these titles before I decide to read them.

Really bummed that the DS9 relaunch has essentially come to a stand-still. The momentum of a great series is now completely lost, and I really don't think the time jump in Rough Beasts of Empire will do it any favors.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 06:46 PM   #58
Marie1
Rear Admiral

More?!

Goes back to working on FAQ... *typetypetypetype*
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 11:18 PM   #59
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

flemm wrote: View Post
The situation is a bit awkward due to the fact that DS9 stories can affect large chunks of the alpha quadrant and the entire gamma quadrant (since that's where we left Odo), thus potentially causing all kinds of continuity issues with everything else that is going on post-Destiny.
Apropos the gamma quadrant:

The lack of a planned follow-up for DS9 relaunch makes it quite clear that 'rough beasts of empire' will only treat with the the romulan plot. It's a one-shot, essentially. And delving into the dominion situation would only have been done if there were plans for a follow-up.

flemm wrote: View Post

Alas, yes, though perhaps we'll feel differently after reading Rough Beasts
About the book I have not yet formed an opinion.

About the series - nothing in the book can change the neglect bestowed upon DS9 relaunch. Consequently, changing its 'how the mighty have fallen', 'has-been' status is quite impossible.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 12:13 AM   #60
flemm
Fleet Captain

The lack of a planned follow-up for DS9 relaunch makes it quite clear that 'rough beasts of empire' will only treat with the the romulan plot. It's a one-shot, essentially. And delving into the dominion situation would only have been done if there were plans for a follow-up.
I agree that seems likely, though there might be some indication of future plans in Rough Beasts.

About the series - nothing in the book can change the neglect bestowed upon DS9 relaunch. Consequently, changing its 'how the mighty have fallen', 'has-been' status is quite impossible.
I don't think the "season 9" storylines that were taking shape in the Worlds trilogy are likely to come to fruition, but there is always the possibility that the DS9-R will catch a second wind at some point.

Or, failing that, perhaps it is time to break up the DS9 crew and get them involved in the other books, as has already happened in the case of a few DS9 characters. This wouldn't be my first choice, but if it has become impractical to continue telling DS9 stories with everything else that is going on, the rest of the characters at least should be salvaged.

Last edited by flemm; June 20 2010 at 12:25 AM.