February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Another Actor Confirmed For The Hobbit (Spoilers)

Well, I don't want to piss anybody off, so I put this under spoilers. Elijah Wood will be reprising his role as Frodo to set up a framing story for the Hobbit films. I wasn't expecting this and I think it could be cool.

Link
Old January 7 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Re: Another Actor Confirmed For The Hobbit (Spoilers)

Hmm, I wonder where they would set it though? Wood has aged more than 10 years, so towards the ending of ROTK where he's writing down all the stories?

I like it. It's the same actors and same directors, and there was elements within the original story of telling stories, so it's not totally out of the blue.
Old January 7 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Interesting, since the text of The Hobbit was presented as actually existing in-universe as There and Back Again, Bilbo's memoir of his journey. Are the films retconning it to be Frodo's memoir? Or perhaps Frodo is writing an editor's introduction to his uncle Bilbo's memoir.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I think they're doing a prequel framing story where Frodo is hearing the story for the first time.
Old January 7 2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Gaith
Rear Admiral

IMHO, it ain't spoilers if it'll happen in the very first minutes of the movie; word will get out at some point and it'll be all over the trailers...

Huh, interesting. I guess. We'll see.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Well, there will be people who don't want to know ANYTHING. I don't want to be the one to ruin the living under a rock experience.
Old January 7 2011, 08:10 PM   #7
flemm
Fleet Captain

Interesting, though the inclusing of Cate Blanchette as Galadriel strikes me as even more interesting, as it suggests we might see some development of the conflict between the "Council of the Wise" and Sauron in his earlier incarnation as the Necromancer.

This is alluded to in the Hobbit as the reason for Gandalf's extended absence towards the end of the story as I recall.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Well, there will be people who don't want to know ANYTHING. I don't want to be the one to ruin the living under a rock experience.
Yeah, might as well mark it spoilers, some people are extremely sensitive on the subject
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Aragorn
Admiral

Meh. It would be better if he were reprising his Sin City character for The Hobbit.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 09:10 PM   #9
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While it is a nice connection, it seems like they are really reaching to bridge and add stuff that perhaps doesn't belong. I know I've been on a kick but have the confirmation that Fassbender would not be Bard- honestly, he was a good casting option- to find the next the news is that Frodo would be back, is kind of weird.

Will they have a CGI De-aged Viggo Button kid running around Rivendell, too? Will Frodo fall asleep at his chair and have nightmares of Sean Bean, too? I'd rather he just play an ancestor if he's going to be there. Pity John Rhys Davies will never play another dwarf, I think he would be perfect in a familial reprisal.

Is anyone else concerned this news has dropped at the same time with that information about Warners doing the distrubtions and all that? Do you think they required the star of the trilogy make an appearance?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I seriously doubt that. The movies would make a billion dollars apiece just with the name The Hobbit.
Old January 7 2011, 11:21 PM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

At least it's not Fox making the movie. Don't want to see Lord of the Rings Origins: The Hobbit.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I think they're doing a prequel framing story where Frodo is hearing the story for the first time.
That's how I'm assuming they'll be doing it. When I read this story over at TORN, I was surprised how the author went onto to suggest that perhaps this will mean the return of other Hobbits such as Sam, Merry, and Pippin but didn't think of the more obvious implication: if Elijah Wood is returning for a framing sequence, and assuming he's being told the story for the first time, then surely Ian Holm will return, too?

I like to think that my supposition will come true considering del Toro's suggestion (back when he was the director) of having Holm narrate the story.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
At least it's not Fox making the movie. Don't want to see Lord of the Rings Origins: The Hobbit.
Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings IV: The Beginning: The Hobbit
Old January 7 2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral

There's clearly a number of options as to how they'll handle the set-up, but given that they'll be expanding the Gandalf/Dol Guldur side of things (to some degree or another) it would make the most sense to have Frodo recounting the whole thing (to Sam's kids perhaps?) sometime before he left for the west.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 11:56 PM   #15
flemm
Fleet Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
There's clearly a number of options as to how they'll handle the set-up, but given that they'll be expanding the Gandalf/Dol Guldur side of things (to some degree or another) it would make the most sense to have Frodo recounting the whole thing (to Sam's kids perhaps?) sometime before he left for the west.
From that point of view I wonder if the film will beef up Sauron's role in the story, and possibly Gollum's as well, beyond the initial riddle sequence.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote