Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 28 2013, 03:34 PM   #76
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Re: 'Gravity' (2012) dir. by Alfonso Cuarón 3D sci-fi space thriller

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
I notice that this teaser is all one long shot. Cuaron seems to like those long shots. I remember he included at least two of them in The Prisoner of Azkaban and several more in Children of Men.
Old July 28 2013, 05:11 PM   #77
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Am I the only one who thinks the scene would be even more effective without any music?

One of the most breathtaking astronauts in space scenes I've ever seen is the spacewalk from "2010". You can only hear the astronauts breath and talk. And maybe a VERY low key noise for the "environment". But other than that, there's nothing else.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 05:18 PM   #78
Harvey
Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I notice that this teaser is all one long shot. Cuaron seems to like those long shots. I remember he included at least two of them in The Prisoner of Azkaban and several more in Children of Men.
The short film he contributed to Paris, je t'aime was also one long take. It seems to be his preferred mode of shooting, at least when the budget allows for it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 05:26 PM   #79
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
The short film he contributed to Paris, je t'aime was also one long take. It seems to be his preferred mode of shooting, at least when the budget allows for it.
It's theatre, basically. There are no cuts in a stage play.

Getting everything done in one shot without having to make any cuts is a director's greatest achievement.

Okay, today they are fooling you into seamlessness because they create digital transitions between cuts. The behind the scenes of Children of Men pretty much ruins the film in that regard.
Old July 28 2013, 05:46 PM   #80
Harvey
Admiral

Of course, many filmmakers that would disagree with that assessment. Hitchcock chief among them; he viewed cutting as a valuable tool, and saw his experimentation with long takes in Rope and Under Capricorn as failures that didn't take advantage of the medium.

Old July 28 2013, 07:11 PM   #81
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Of course, many filmmakers that would disagree with that assessment. Hitchcock chief among them; he viewed cutting as a valuable tool, and saw his experimentation with long takes in Rope and Under Capricorn as failures that didn't take advantage of the medium.
And still, it was a great achievement of all of the involved. It takes quite a lot of talent and effort to get 10 minute long takes done, and even more to make seamless transitions between several of those 10 minute takes. There are many out there who wouldn't manage to do that.
Old July 28 2013, 07:32 PM   #82
Harvey
Admiral

Oh, there's certainly a sense of technical virtuosity on display in long, uninterrupted takes that's very exciting, and there are a number of filmmakers who make great use of them (chief among them Max Ophuls, Otto Preminger, and Mikhail Kalatozov, who's film I Am Cuba must be seen to be believed), but cutting can be just as impressive.

Old July 29 2013, 01:52 AM   #83
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's theatre, basically. There are no cuts in a stage play.
Theater with all the audience members mounted on technocranes that thrust them right at the actors, then boom around behind them. The change of perspective is a pretty huge difference from theater (and probably why I don't much like theater, because I want a variety of perspectives.)

Though there's something to be said for subtle invisible long takes. You've got that one at the start of TOUCH OF EVIL that everybody goes on & on about, with the car and going through town. But later in the picture, there's a long take in the bomber's apartment that involves only some innocuous lateral movement, and THAT is the one Welles is most proud of.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:56 AM   #84
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Sweet Zombie Jesus. Give me this film NOW.

QFT... I am getting really excited about this, especially since they seem to be taking the science seriously. Perhaps if it does at all well it'll even give some more impetus to the public conversation about space junk, which would be a great thing.
Space junk was one of my TNG pitches, a race and world where they had pretty much cut themselves off from space because they had too much crap up there to be able to fly through.

There's a Ben Bova story about a moonbase [I think it is called MEN OF GOOD WILL, in the FORWARD IN TIME collection] where you have russians at one part of the moon and americans at another. They took some shots at each other at some point, and the bullets just keep going round & round, so at a certain point every month they have to lay down on the floor as the bullets come back to perigee and shoot the hell out of each base. It's pretty funny, as it is the only place in the verse where russians and americans are no longer able to fight each other.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:17 AM   #85
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post
There's a Ben Bova story about a moonbase [I think it is called MEN OF GOOD WILL, in the FORWARD IN TIME collection] where you have russians at one part of the moon and americans at another. They took some shots at each other at some point, and the bullets just keep going round & round, so at a certain point every month they have to lay down on the floor as the bullets come back to perigee and shoot the hell out of each base. It's pretty funny, as it is the only place in the verse where russians and americans are no longer able to fight each other.
I definitely remember this story, had forgotten who wrote it and where I read it...

...and I like that TNG pitch too.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 07:44 AM   #86
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

When I saw the first trailer a while back, I knew I'd heard of this movie before. And there I was. I was full of anger back then. It made me strong.

Loved the new trailer. As of now, after a year that has almost entirely failed to live up to its potential--thanks a lot, Shane Carruth, Shane Black, James Wan, James Mangold, Zack Snyder, Guillermo del Toro, and Nicolas Winding Refn--it's my second-most anticipated film remaining for 2013. Well, that or Wong Kar Wai's Grandmaster.

So will Alfonso Cuaron's new film beat the car chase movie from the director of Dungeons of Dragons? The smart money says yes, but I've never been smart money once in my life. It's pretty rare that I've even been money.

P.S. I would still like to see Solaris II.
P.P.S. Hi everybody.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:03 PM   #87
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how this limited premise has enough content to justify a 90+ minute film. Watching two people float in space as they slowly (very slowly) fall towards the Earth isn't very interesting. I don't get the hype.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:09 PM   #88
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how this limited premise has enough content to justify a 90+ minute film.
Actually, it's exactly 90 min. long - and we don't even really know at this point whether that's ALL the movie is about, do we?

What we (or I, anyway) DO know is that Alfonso Cuarón is an amazing director and that the trailer looks really impressive, and that's enough to get me into the theater.
Old August 16 2013, 09:51 PM   #89
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how this limited premise has enough content to justify a 90+ minute film.
Actually, it's exactly 90 min. long - and we don't even really know at this point whether that's ALL the movie is about, do we?

What we (or I, anyway) DO know is that Alfonso Cuarón is an amazing director and that the trailer looks really impressive, and that's enough to get me into the theater.
Well all I have to go on is the trailer and I thought it looked absolutely awful. I'm honestly not sure what it is that people find so impressive about the trailer. At least with Transformers I understand why people like those films, but with this I've got nothing.

Is it the potential for interesting dialogue between two people near death? The realistic sci-fi setting? The fear of dying from suffocation? The fear of being alone in the vastness of space? The visuals?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 10:38 PM   #90
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

So it's "Open Water" but in space?
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote