IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 28 2010, 10:32 PM   #46
Trek_princess
Lieutenant Commander

Re: DS9: Your Favorite EPISODE Of The Series.

S3CT1ON31 wrote: View Post
Interesting how hardly any of the 1st 2 season stories have been chosen
That's probably because people haven't seen them in a while. I watched the seasons in order on Netflix, so I don't remember the early eps much.
Trek_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2010, 11:57 PM   #47
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Since "Duet" got 3 mentions (plus it's on TrekGirl's long list, which also includes "The Wire"), "Necessary Evil" got 2 and the Circle trilogy was also mentioned, it would make more sense for you to say "it's interesting how hardly any season 7 stories were chosen" - there's just one mention of "Chimera", one of "Take me Out to the Holosuite" and one of the Final Chapter as a whole. Most picks, apart from ITPM, come from season 5 and season 4.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2010, 12:31 AM   #48
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Since "Duet" got 3 mentions (plus it's on TrekGirl's long list, which also includes "The Wire"), "Necessary Evil" got 2 and the Circle trilogy was also mentioned, it would make more sense for you to say "it's interesting how hardly any season 7 stories were chosen" - there's just one mention of "Chimera", one of "Take me Out to the Holosuite" and one of the Final Chapter as a whole. Most picks, apart from ITPM, come from season 5 and season 4.
I mentioned it because a lot of people said they skip season1 and 2 when re watching the series.

Its a weird scenario with the 1st 2 seasons as there was any evidence of a large story arc. The circle 3 parter was really well done. Its almost like a different show when season 3 starts. Its seems smarter, visually better with more good CGI. The new villains are fantastic. The stories have more umph and characters are written really well and the actors get to grips. The show seems to have a direction to follow. Seasons 1 and 2 are just about a station supposedly at a new trade route but never seems that busy or important.

So thats why I asked. I wasn't surprised that many season 7 weren't picked.
Old July 1 2010, 09:52 PM   #49
Bones
Commodore

USS Bones wrote: View Post
These days I think I'd say Hard Time. Though The Visitor and Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast are very close.
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Maybe unconventional... Hard Time.
Not so unconventional that I didn't get there first.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 03:24 PM   #50
Too Much Fun
Commodore

<--- wuss

Apparently you people have stronger stomachs than I! I found that episode really riveting the first time I saw it, but it was so heartbreaking to watch! A favourite episode is one I can enjoy watching over and over again, but for me, once was enough with that one. I just don't think I could take seeing poor Miles be so brutally tormented again.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 03:31 PM   #51
Trek_princess
Lieutenant Commander

Season One, "Babel" is one of my favorite episodes that I had forgotten about. This is the ep where a virus introduced into the replicators causes everyone to talk nonsense before developing a deadly fever. Also, "One Man Alone" is a good mystery episode.
Trek_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 05:51 PM   #52
NKemp3
Commodore

I can't divide "Improbable Cause" and "the Die Is Cast" so they will have to count as one for me.
Old July 4 2010, 06:02 PM   #53
NKemp3
Commodore

flemm wrote: View Post
Duet and Necessary Evil have both come up, as has opening arc of season 2. Those first two are definitely on my favorites list, and I'm a big fan of The Circle storyline, especially when considered as a five-episode arc starting with Duet (which it basically is, thematically speaking).

Season 1 is of course the weakest season, but I think season 2 compares pretty favorably to the later seasons overall and is still among my favorite seasons of DS9. What makes DS9 great (at least for me) at the end of the day is the universe and character building, which season 2 does a lot of, arguably more than any other season with the attention given to both Bajoran and Cardassian cultures, characters such as Garak (Cardassians, The Wire), Dukat (Cardassians and especially The Maquis 1 & 2, where he steals the show), Bareil and Winn (in the opening arc and The Collaborator), along with Odo's Bajoran "father" in The Alternate, not to mention that this season introduced both the Dominion and the Maquis, established the "torture O'Brien" tradition with Whispers, launched Bashir and O'Brien's friendship in Rivals and Armeggedon Game, planted the seeds for Kira and Odo's long and complex relationship, transformed Dax's character in Blood Oath, revisited the MU for the first time since TOS in Crossover (which is brilliant, however mediocre and outright bad the MU eventually became on DS9), flashed back to Terok Nor for the first time, the list goes on.

Season 1 is mostly forgettable. Season 2 has a lot of great episodes, but also lays the groundwork for most of the relationships and storylines that the show will explore for the rest of its run.

I agree 100% with this post. I've been claiming season 2 as one of the series' best for about as long as this forum has been around.
Old July 4 2010, 06:19 PM   #54
flemm
Fleet Captain

NKemp3 wrote: View Post
I agree 100% with this post. I've been claiming season 2 as one of the series' best for about as long as this forum has been around.
I agree that it is, but I can understand why some fans simply prefer the more epic feel of the later seasons (which are, of course, awesome).

What I can't abide is lumping seasons 1 and 2 together as if they were roughly similar in terms of overall quality. This is simply nonsense, there is no comparison.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 02:20 AM   #55
anabolina
Cadet

I also loved Babel from season 1, but it isn't a favorite. If I had to pick one, it would by Way of the Warrior. There are lots of awesome quotes, space battles, and character moments. I've probably got the whole thing memorized, in fact in the line by line thread, I always know the line that comes next. Sad I know, but when I was 15, I got this episode as part of the Greatest Battles VHS set with TOS Battle of Terror, TNG Gambit, and VGR Maneuvers. The only one that got watched enough to be quoted was WotW.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 02:39 AM   #56
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

"The Visitor", hands down. In fact, it's my favorite episode of ANY Trek series.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 02:51 AM   #57
Harvey
Admiral

"Far Beyond the Stars" for me, although "In the Pale Moonlight" is also brilliant and a very close second.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 05:18 AM   #58
SRFX
Captain

The Die is Cast
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 11:53 AM   #59
Ensign Johnson
Lieutenant Commander

The Visitor seems a pretty popular choice but I wasn't really fussed on it. I didn't hate it but I wasn't overly impressed. But I did watch it out of order so I was thinking "what about the war with the dominion?" and "Jadzia lives to be old" so to me it seemed like saving Sisko was murdering a bunch of other ppl including Jadzia. Pretty sure that's not what I was supposed to be thinking during the episode. But even without that it didn't really make me sad because Jake and Captain Sisko have never been my favourites.

I really enjoyed Trials and Tribble-ations and its the sort of episode that is fun to re-watch. Most of the mirror universe episodes are good for a giggle too.
Ensign Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2010, 05:41 AM   #60
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

One of my favorites is 5X02, "The Ship."

I also love the Circle trilogy. Talk about a coup, landing Louise Fletcher (Winn) and Frank Langella (Jaro) for recurring roles certainly was. Not the regular cast wasn't good as well, but those two brought something special to their scenes, both separately and together.

Also, "Treachery, Faith and the Great River," two Weyouns for the price of one, LOL!

"Crossover," solely because it introduced sexy Intendant Kira! WOO!
DS9 Gal AZ is offline   Reply With Quote