Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 18 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Evil Ezri
Lieutenant

The flaws of Ezri Dax

Was it the character flaws of Ezri Dax because of the writers, or, was it the woman herself that produced flaws about her character. If it is about her flaws because she was unsecure about herself then that is the flaw of the writers. If it was the flaws about herself, as she was short as a woman at 5’ 5” tall when the rest of the cast members were taller except for Quark and Ron.

Sure, Ezri Dax could have been more secure about herself and be much taller. Then, would she not really be a copy of Jadzia Dax.
Evil Ezri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: The flaws of Ezri Dax

What flaws are you talking about? If it's just that she was short, how is that a flaw at all?

I loved Ezri. In my opinion she was much better than Jadzia. The fact that she was unsure about herself and emotionally vulnerable is what made her such a great character. How often do we see a character like that on Star Trek when those traits aren't played for laughs?
Admiral Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 07:40 AM   #3
happydave
Lieutenant Commander

Evil Ezri wrote: View Post
If it is about her flaws because she was unsecure about herself
This isn't really a flaw as it's one of the most endearing qualities about her and the best story thread she had.
happydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
JoeFromEarth
Lieutenant Commander

The only "flaw" I can think of is she didn't have as much time to develop her character...
Old November 18 2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Evil Ezri
Lieutenant

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
What flaws are you talking about? If it's just that she was short, how is that a flaw at all?

I loved Ezri. In my opinion she was much better than Jadzia. The fact that she was unsure about herself and emotionally vulnerable is what made her such a great character. How often do we see a character like that on Star Trek when those traits aren't played for laughs?
I like you man
Old November 18 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Jono
Rear Admiral

An actor can only do so much with the material they were given. She was written as a whiny, annoying, vacant character. Some found her endearing I did not.

I'm of the opinion that it was a mistake to add her as a full time character back into the show for the last season and that they could have dealt with her Trillness and old feelings in two or three episode arc if they wanted to bring back Dax.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Evil Ezri
Lieutenant

Jono wrote: View Post
An actor can only do so much with the material they were given. She was written as a whiny, annoying, vacant character. Some found her endearing I did not.

I'm of the opinion that it was a mistake to add her as a full time character back into the show for the last season and that they could have dealt with her Trillness and old feelings in two or three episode arc if they wanted to bring back Dax.
Do understand your point. It was a rush to develop the character of Ezri Dax in a single season and I feel it did not really work. Just thinking about it, I feel the reason that Ezri Dax became so important to have her character developed as everyone that started the series was only thinking that Deep Space 9 would last only six seasons and not seven. The other reason, Jadzia Dax was the center of attention during the first six seasons. Sisko was first, then Jadzia and Kira shared the number two position with Odo and Basher the third tear of the series.
Old November 18 2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Jono wrote: View Post
Some found her endearing I did not.
Count me as one who found her endearing. I especially liked how she was the polar opposite of Jadzia. She was shaky, nervous, and emotionally unsure; whereas Jadzia came off quite often as arrogant, supremely self-absorbed, and at times downright rude.

I think it's fair to say that I'm no fan of Jadzia Dax.
Admiral Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 04:03 AM   #9
Fencer
Fleet Captain

WIf it was the flaws about herself, as she was short as a woman at 5’ 5” tall when the rest of the cast members were taller except for Quark and Ron.

What the hell does Nicole's height got to do with any flaws in the character Ezri Dax?
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Evil Ezri
Lieutenant

Fencer wrote: View Post
WIf it was the flaws about herself, as she was short as a woman at 5’ 5” tall when the rest of the cast members were taller except for Quark and Ron.

What the hell does Nicole's height got to do with any flaws in the character Ezri Dax?
Have no problem that she is 5'5". Just that the majority of the characters of Deep Space 9 were taller then her. Think everyone was looking for someone like Jadzia Dax that was almost 6'0" and large busted.
Old November 19 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I liked Ezri, and liked that the writers wrote her as a less than perfect, if not flawed person. I like the you could have those sorts of characters on DSN. I'm sure that if Ezri had shown up on TNG, they would have had her fixed or cured in about two episodes and she would have been just as boring as the rest of those people.

And it didn't hurt that Nicloe Deboer is very cute, either.
Old November 19 2009, 04:30 AM   #12
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Love Ezri. Also love Jadzia. I think the difference between them helps, like others have said.

BTW, if you'd like to see Ezri grow more comfortable in her skin, I highly recommend Pocket's DS9 Relaunch.
Old November 19 2009, 04:30 AM   #13
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Flaws? The woman is a goddess.
Old November 19 2009, 04:50 AM   #14
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

5'5 is not short for a woman. It is quite average.

As for her other flaws, though she was never a favorite of mine I kind of like them. Made her seem more human than Jadzia ever did (yes I know they are Trill)

If you want to see how incredibly smug and annoying an Ezri with NO flaws is, read some of her more recent Trek novels. She is now the Mary Sue of the galaxy who can do no wrong, no matter who writes her. Very stupid and annoying.
Old November 19 2009, 04:55 AM   #15
Klaitu
Commodore

The last time I talked about Ezri Dax, I called her the female version of Mr. Mackey because of her giant head and tiny body. There was much consternation on the internet.

This time I will just say that I liked Jadzia a lot better.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Klaitu is offline   Reply With Quote