RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,907
Posts: 5,477,757
Members: 25,051
Currently online: 518
Newest member: GrammaticalFict

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Is RedLetterMedia the Best Online Critic?
Yes 22 55.00%
He Makes a Few Good Points Amongst the BS 7 17.50%
No 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 19 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
TedShatner10
Commodore
 
TedShatner10's Avatar
 
Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

While RedLetterMedia has created a storm with his tearing apart of The Phantom Menace, does anybody else think he's not really all that? And not just with his deconstruction of movies and opinions, but with his presentation? Which has progressively moved into abject tastelessness (mock imprisoning of young women, etc).

Like the Nostalgia Critic, Linkara, and Spoony, he's successful enough to have his own website. I haven't seen his review of Attack of the Clones, but I have seen all the way through his critque of The Phantom Menace, which was bang on the money in some instances, but didn't really make sense in others.

I actually think his reviews of TNG movies are better (Insurrection and Nemesis are dreadful) but even then my bullshit-o-meter pinged ture from time to time.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

No. I'm not pissed off at RLM in any way, shape, or form. Why should I be? They never attacked me personally. They are just critiquing a film. Why should that piss me off?

The thing about RLM is that if you agree or disagree with their viewpoints, they make valid arguments and explain why they didn't like something. This is, of course, in contrast to many other "online reviewers" who just go "This sucks!" without explaining why they think it sucks.

Beyond that, the reviews are simply entertaining given the character they have giving the reviews.

Whether you like RLM's reviews or not, it is just a review and not gospel truth. If people are getting pissed off over it (like the so-called Star Wars Prequel Appreciation Society), then something is off-kilter.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Smiley
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I haven't bothered to watch any of his reviews. I seriously doubt that any point he raised in his reviews of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have not already been made several times over on the official SW message boards. Even if he has come up with something a little bit different, it's not really worth 70 minutes of my time. If people are finding his reviews funny or offensive, good for them.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 09:55 PM   #4
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

He's just giving his opinion about movies. He's being critical of art, it's impossible for him to be wrong and it's absurd to be upset about him having a differing opinion about a movie.
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 10:43 PM   #5
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I think the only thing he's done that might be considered tasteless is the Star Trek Reboot review because he basically had the "movie" rape a woman and the woman sort of enjoying it.

That said, I think it was tasteless enough that I found it funny... mostly because people like to say George Lucas or JJ or Michael Bay or whomever raped their childhood.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I think the only thing he's done that might be considered tasteless is the Star Trek Reboot review because he basically had the "movie" rape a woman and the woman sort of enjoying it.

That said, I think it was tasteless enough that I found it funny... mostly because people like to say George Lucas or JJ or Michael Bay or whomever raped their childhood.
Which that was clearly going off of.

I kinda find the reaction to that ironic. People online throw the "[insert name] raped my childhood" so often that they probably don't fully get what they are actually referring to. However, that video said the same thing visually, and it causes the ire of the internet.

Perhaps that was the point.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Anthony Sabre
Commodore
 
Anthony Sabre's Avatar
 
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I enjoy the RLM reviews. Their take on the SW prequels are pretty much spot on. I also liked the reviews of the TNG movies. Granted the kidnapped women bits get old but even those had some laugh out loud moments.
Anthony Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 04:27 AM   #8
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I think the only thing he's done that might be considered tasteless is the Star Trek Reboot review because he basically had the "movie" rape a woman and the woman sort of enjoying it.

That said, I think it was tasteless enough that I found it funny... mostly because people like to say George Lucas or JJ or Michael Bay or whomever raped their childhood.
Which that was clearly going off of.

I kinda find the reaction to that ironic. People online throw the "[insert name] raped my childhood" so often that they probably don't fully get what they are actually referring to. However, that video said the same thing visually, and it causes the ire of the internet.

Perhaps that was the point.
The thing is, a couple of seasons ago South Park had either George Lucas or Steven Spielberg raping the town... it must have been when Indy 4 came out. I don't remember people having much of a cow because of that though.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 04:28 AM   #9
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I'm not a fan, myself. I don't find him terribly entertaining, and his reviews really seem to plod along. I much prefer the Nostalgia Critic: he's wittier, the character is a little more likeable, and the 20–25 minute format works much better, IMO.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 05:50 AM   #10
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I think the only thing he's done that might be considered tasteless is the Star Trek Reboot review because he basically had the "movie" rape a woman and the woman sort of enjoying it.

That said, I think it was tasteless enough that I found it funny... mostly because people like to say George Lucas or JJ or Michael Bay or whomever raped their childhood.
Which that was clearly going off of.

I kinda find the reaction to that ironic. People online throw the "[insert name] raped my childhood" so often that they probably don't fully get what they are actually referring to. However, that video said the same thing visually, and it causes the ire of the internet.

Perhaps that was the point.
The thing is, a couple of seasons ago South Park had either George Lucas or Steven Spielberg raping the town... it must have been when Indy 4 came out. I don't remember people having much of a cow because of that though.
Well, that's because it's cool to bash Indy 4 because it was an easy mark. I'm not saying that's why Parker and Stone did it, but it was easier for fanboys to accept. If Parker and Stone did the same episode, but centered it around the new movie, I feel hell would have broken loose here. And this is coming from someone who liked both Indy 4 and the new Trek movie.

Canadave wrote: View Post
I'm not a fan, myself. I don't find him terribly entertaining, and his reviews really seem to plod along. I much prefer the Nostalgia Critic: he's wittier, the character is a little more likeable, and the 20–25 minute format works much better, IMO.
I like the Nostalgia Critic as well, but I feel that he doesn't nearly go in depth as RLM does. Most of NC's gags consist of dumbfounded looks or him screaming "arrg" and "what?!" Not that that's bad, but he just attacks the surface of a film. Then again, those are two different personalities with two different styles.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain
 
Silent_Bob's Avatar
 
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

Not pissed off at all by RLM either. I doubt i'll be watching any more of their reviews after viewing their Attack of the Clones review, given that i found the way they chose to do it exceedingly tasteless, but i'm not angry about it at all.
__________________
"Does the cold of deep space make your nipples go pointy Bowie? Do you use your pointy nipples as telescopic antennae to transmit data back to Earth? I bet you do, you freaky old bastard you"
Silent_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 10:28 AM   #12
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I thought his review of TPM was amazing. He did a good job, not as good though, with AOTC. And I thought he did a good job ripping apart Nemesis. Haven't seen the one for Insurrection, but I thought he was reaching a bit with First Contact. I also think he did a ROTS review that I thought he was grasping straws with, but I can't remember if that was someone else's link. I watched his reviews on youtube a while back.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Tulin
Vice Admiral
 
Location: With the most wonderful man in the world!
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

RLM has not done RoTS yet.

Personally I think he's a genius(he was SPOT ON for Avatard and I mean S P O T on)and youtube and the net could do with more original stuff like this.


VERY much looking forward to his RoTS review!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

By 'storm' do you mean guys on the internet listening to his reviews?

: |
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: Pissed Off by RedLetterMedia?

I don't think the guy is funny or insightful. He's just another guy on the internet expressing his nerd rage.

But pissed at him? Why? He's just guy on the internet. His opinion doesn't matter one bit to me. He's irrelevant.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.