Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What's your verdict?
Excellent 100 63.29%
Good 45 28.48%
Average 4 2.53%
Meh 6 3.80%
I'd rather cut off my ear 3 1.90%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5 2010, 11:51 PM   #46
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: 5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Wow. An Excellent from me. Not only best of season so far, but one of the best stories the shows done in a good long while. I haven't seen all of the Hartnell's, but I think that was DW's first ever 'character studies'. Plus it goes back to why the show came about in the first place. To try to teach kids a little something. And dammit, who hasn't dreamed that they had a time machine so that they could go back and show some historic 'not appreciated in their lifetimes' person just what their accomplishments really meant.

Lovely performances all around. And who cares if it wasn't yet another 'Doctor defeats monster and saves the world' story. C'mon, those are a dime a dozen. Props to Moffet for doing something different. (now time to sit back and wait for Bone's obligatory "Well that was a load of crap." post).

Really hope this episode has some awards in its future.

I admit I'm not much of an 'art' person, but I still loved Vincent as just a regular guy in pain, especially since I've had my own issues with depression, and feeling like nobody really gives a damn. Hell, now I want to find out more about him. If it makes others feel the same, then I'd say its a win all around.

Not sure about about next weeks premise, but that Next Time got a chuckle out of me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go clean up in here a bit. During those last few minutes of the story museum I noticed my rooms gotten a bit dusty.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; June 6 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 11:56 PM   #47
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The first time Victor showed some keen interest in Amy, the back of my mind wiggled, but the more and more he expressed his love for the girl, I wondered how exactly she was going to end up with his ear? I thought possibly he's not too insane and it just gets ripped off by the monster, and then he gives it to her, and because she's such a "fan" well of course she's going to take it, because that makes her a huge part of his story and even a huge part of the world more so than just the Doctor being a ponce about the importance of little people.

Despite those wishes, I was still crying and laughing at the same time becuase I'm going a little soft with age.

Besides, he could still mutilate himself for her at a later date.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 12:11 AM   #48
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Heh, this really is a marmite ep, not a single average vote yet.

Personally, I voted Good. This may have had the most emotionally effective moments of this series, but I think there have been better overall written eps.

EDIT: Oh look, an average vote.

Last edited by Rowan Sjet; June 6 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Rowan Sjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 12:48 AM   #49
wamdue
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
the actual Doctor Who part of it, was just awful.
Go on.
see my initial review.
Old June 6 2010, 12:52 AM   #50
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Its a very polarized world we live in.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 01:14 AM   #51
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Hartnell or Troughton cameos yet. I know we've been getting them a lot of Doctor cameos this season, but they're still worth mentioning.

Anyway, fantastic episode for all the reasons everyone else has already mentioned. Unfortunately the crappy monster, bad story, and dull beginning drops it down a rank.

I went with Good. Or, as I prefer to think of it, 4/5. We really do need a rank between Good and Excellent.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 01:30 AM   #52
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I thought the first ten minutes were smashing.

The next twenty-five were good but perhaps a little shallow in their treatment of Van Gogh and his illness, and dull on the monster front. The episode could have deemphasized either storyline in favor of the other and gotten away with it, but I thought that it offered a subplot's worth of both. And "Vincent can see invisible monsters because he's mentally ill" is a bit close to the unfortunate modern tendency to romanticize Van Gogh's tragic and destructive illness as part of his talent. On the plus side, the episode avoided the worst "tortured genius" excesses of popular portrayals of Van Gogh.

The final ten minutes had maybe four minutes' worth of incident mercilessly stretched in a way that diluted the effect of Tony Curran's performance. If they'd cut some of that, they could have shown more of Van Gogh's mental illness than a thirty-second attack that ends abruptly when the plot requires it. (And really, I think Van Gogh learning that his work survived and was highly valued would have been enough; did we need the brilliant and underused Bill Nighy declaring that he was "ONE OF THE GREATEST MEN EVER"?)

But questions of execution aside, that was a more substantial idea for an episode than anything else we have had or are likely to have this series, and I'm very glad it was made.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; June 6 2010 at 01:54 AM.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 01:37 AM   #53
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fantastic episode, largely for the reasons previously posted.

I can understand some people not going oveboard with it as the middle section was weaker than the rest, but Bob's right, anyone voting this as 'awful' really shouldn't be allowed to watch television anymore.
Old June 6 2010, 01:37 AM   #54
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Excellent! My favorite of Eleven's outings yet and possibly my favorite of all. Van Gogh was touchingly treated and Curran brought warmth to his character. Even the Krafayis was worth a few shed tears.

That bit at the end, bringing Van Gogh to his future and letting him hear what other people thought of his work was just amazing. It's one of those things that should happen in a just universe. The elation the man must have felt! But was this ultimately the kindness that did him in? Did the Doctor's reward drive him into such a manic state of pride and joy that the inevitable return of depression would be so much worse?
Old June 6 2010, 01:55 AM   #55
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
There were so many wonderful moments in the episode. I really loved the moment when Vincent thanked Bill Nighy's character was wonderful for Nighy's reaction. Did he know who he had just met? It's a fabulously ambivilent moment for me.

I thought I'd got it all figured out at the beginning of the episode: oh, the monster will represent Van Gogh's madness, I thought. I'm so glad I was proved wrong. I don't really like "message tv" and Richard Curtis has pissed me off big time in the past for it, but I thought it was well done here.
Me too, and I don't think that "If you're effected by the issues raised in this episode" message at the end was part of laying it on thick with the message, either, it's just something PSB TV does with anything like that. I thought it was nice to actually have someone with mental illness not be portrayed as wacky, or very strange... especially in a family show.

next season I nominate Sylvia Plath as our required historical figure

The Doctor and Sylvia with their heads in the stove
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 02:10 AM   #56
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't know what to think here. I was really enjoying the episode and the portrayal of Van Gogh was awesome but those last five or ten minutes were just so out there. The "For Amy" thing was really over the top (it seemed funny to be in English -- I know, Tardis Schmardis...). It also kind of left a bad feeling of telling kids that there is no hope for turning around depression.

I liked Bill Nighy and the bow ties and the Doctor's whack device. I thought the Starry Night scene was nicely done, even just the holding hands and lying out part. Like I said, I enjoyed it, even with the goofy alien chicken monster but I'm just not sure about that ending.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 02:20 AM   #57
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The ending really worked for me.

For me, it was that 'so out of character' behaviour of the Doctor in actually taking VG to the future that made it all the more touching. Even though he knew it was futile to try and prevent his suicide, he did what he could, to at least ease the self-doubt that plagued VG, and send him on his way with the knowledge that his work would endure for as long as art is appreciated.

It's the kind of thing that you'd have wanted him to do for Dickens back in season 1, but Dickens wasn't plagued by the same demons that VG was, hence he just got the pep-talk.
Old June 6 2010, 02:31 AM   #58
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't know if they do this in the UK but if that mirror had one of those "Objects in mirror are closer they appear" on it I think that would have been fantastic.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 02:38 AM   #59
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

That one really got to me, I'm still crying.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 02:40 AM   #60
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The ending really worked for me.

For me, it was that 'so out of character' behaviour of the Doctor in actually taking VG to the future that made it all the more touching. Even though he knew it was futile to try and prevent his suicide, he did what he could, to at least ease the self-doubt that plagued VG, and send him on his way with the knowledge that his work would endure for as long as art is appreciated.

It's the kind of thing that you'd have wanted him to do for Dickens back in season 1, but Dickens wasn't plagued by the same demons that VG was, hence he just got the pep-talk.
I wonder if that contributed to his depression, though. Showing VG that his works would endure, but he may feel that the man behind the paintings isn't worthy of that praise. Or maybe he felt a sense of futility, since he wouldn't be appreciated very much until after death. Maybe he killed himself precisely because he felt that was the only way he could receive recognition. So it is possible the Doctor's actions contributed to VG's suicide.