RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,582
Posts: 5,515,146
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 555
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 12 2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
>>All I'm asking is what exactly about this production are you objecting to?<<

I'm not objecting to anything. I'm trying to classify independent productions so people can find the fan films that they're more likely to enjoy.
But how can you "classify" something you haven't even seen? I went and watched "Reclamation" today (it was slow at work), and I didn't see anything that I would define as "mature content." If you're claiming it's got "mature content," then you should be able to back up that claim, and frankly, Randy, you can't.

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
>>I just want to know for my own edification what exactly do you find worthy of the "mature content" warning in "Reclamation." I'm asking because we're about to start filming, and I want to know if something we're planning to do would result in such a warning label to be placed on our fan film.<<

What I said above seems to be a pretty good definition: "One of the best definitions I've heard about that term is that it's something adults don't want children to see or hear. It includes but is not limited to nudity, vulgarity, extreme violence, things like that."
But you've labeled a production you admittedly haven't seen with the loaded (and negative) description "mature content" -- how am I to know whether or not you're going to slap that on my fan film, especially if you don't see it?

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
Also, I haven't sampled either "Frontier" entries, but if I take out everything I haven't seen myself, then I wouldn't have to worry about the "Adult" classification. Stupid me for putting in some productions I haven't seen before putting up the list. Next week's list is very likely to be much shorter....
That's an odd and off-putting threat/remark. I've not asked you to do that. I've asked you to explain why you think "Reclamation" has "mature content." You've defined "mature content" as having" nudity, vulgarity, extreme violence, things like that." You admit that you haven't seen "Reclamation," but rather than correct the matter and remove this "mature content" warning, you threaten simply to remove all the productions that you haven't seen.

Frankly, that's just an unwarranted response, but then so is labeling a production that you haven't seen as having "mature content." Is there some sort of agenda you're pushing? I'm honestly curious...
OK, you win. I'll take that entry off the list until I get a chance to look at it myself. I thought I was giving fan films free puiblicity, but I should have known better, I guess. I'll let you know once I've done that and take it from there.

Randy
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 08:26 PM   #17
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore
 
Location: Southwest Georgia
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
OK, you win. I'll take that entry off the list until I get a chance to look at it myself. I thought I was giving fan films free puiblicity, but I should have known better, I guess. I'll let you know once I've done that and take it from there.
No one asked you to take "Reclamation" off the list. I'm asking you to explain why you place the notice for it in your "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" section.

Geez, dude, take a chill pill, and admit you screwed up. Put it in your regular section unless after you review it personally, and decide and explain WHY it has "adult content."

Deleting it only hurts fan films such as this, perhaps more than you hurt them from labeling them as having "adult content" when you simply don't know the facts. EDIT: And it hurts your reputation and this "service" you're providing.

Your actions suggest you have some sort of agenda, giving favorable recognition to some while disregarding others or mislabeling them with the off-putting "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT."

Don't you see that?
__________________
Randy
--------------------
Project Potemkin
http://www.projectpotemkin.com

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; June 12 2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Another thought...
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
>> I don't understand. Someone in the independent production field who you trust told you "Lost Frontier" was a mature content show? If so, how do they know? Have they listened to it? What constitutes 'mature content' anyway?<<

They checked it out and told me about it with the proviso that it would likely be offensive to children. They’ve recommended other projects in the past and were right on. As for “mature content,” check out the post above this one.
Who is "they" ? And why do you have such an issue with confronting the fact that because you have not listened to any episodes of Lost Frontier, you are unable to make an informed qualification about its content? I personally don't see what could be construed as 'adult content' in any of the shows we've done, but I'd be willing to bow down to your preferential opinion on the matter had you actually taken the time to listen to any of our shows. Right now, you haven't done that, and have mislabled the podcasts. All I've done is say "Hey, I don't think that's a fair qualification."

>>Up till now, my only positive suggestions had been to request that one fan film I am associated with be included on your list, despite your childish and reactive behavior anytime someone has the gall to suggest something you don't like, or disagree with you.<<

And you accuse ME of overreacting? Sigh.
Dude, anyone reading your responses in this thread can tell you are overreacting.





>>You know what happened? A dear friend's father died, and I've been dealing with the fallout from that, made doubly worse by the fact that my friend's younger sister had passed away as well, not three months ago too. So don't get on your high horse about "life being too short" or some other platitude when you can't be held accountable to answer a single question.<<

Judging from what’s going on in your life, I’d think that would resonate with you.
Clearly it did resonate with me, hence my earlier reply.

I’m sorry for your losses, but as they say on DS9, there are only 26 hours in a day, and I’d rather use as much of that time as possible looking for new projects to review than haggle with the same people over and over again about one entry in the list.
So, rather than argue this point you'd rather look for new projects to review. Excellent. There's one I'd like to recommend. It's called "Star Trek: Lost Frontier."
OK, same here. I'll take that item off the list, too, until I have a chance to peruse it for myself because some friends I've met whille covering fan films (and audios) still say it's going to offend, so with people on either side of the issue, I can't really post it until I've had a chance to look into the projects.

This is becoming a colossal waste of time. Again, I thought I was giving fan projects free publicity, but don't worry. I'll remove the "Adult Content" subhead tootsweet.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
OK, you win. I'll take that entry off the list until I get a chance to look at it myself. I thought I was giving fan films free puiblicity, but I should have known better, I guess. I'll let you know once I've done that and take it from there.
No one asked you to take "Reclamation" off the list. I'm asking you to explain why you place the notice for it in your "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" section.

Geez, dude, take a chill pill, and admit you screwed up. Put it in your regular section unless after you review it personally, and decide and explain WHY it has "adult content."

Deleting it only hurts fan films such as this, perhaps more than you hurt them from labeling them as having "adult content" when you simply don't know the facts. EDIT: And it hurts your reputation and this "service" you're providing.

Your actions suggest you have some sort of agenda, giving favorable recognition to some while disregarding others or mislabeling them with the off-putting "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT."

Don't you see that?
First off, my only agenda is to include as many fan projects as I can, with the understanading that I can't check every last film or audio before I put them in the list even though I do my best to check them all.

But let's be honest here: One side tells me it's inappropriate for family viewing, while you folks say it's as pure as the wind-driven snow. After all this forth-and-back, I simply CAN'T post your and Double's programs until I have the chance to cast the deciding vote.

And at home, I only have a dialup connection, which means I have to trudge over to the main library (because the auto accident I was in last year totaled my car), which has super computers as long as I can meet their schedules. Such is life.

I'm sorry if this hurts your project, but it's the only way I can be really sure I'm referring items that are appropriate for the various folks who read this thread.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore
 
Location: Southwest Georgia
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Randy, first of all, "Reclamation" is NOT my project. I happened to have watched it yesterday at work, and didn't find anything in it worthy of the notation "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT."

I simply wanted clarification to see what was so "adult" about "Reclamation" so that my fan film when it's released won't be labeled "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT."

You admittedly didn't watch the movie, but based on hearsay from "one side" you decide it's "inappropriate for family viewing," thereby impugning it without evidence.

Now, in a huff, you've decided to remove the listing for it altogether until you "have the chance to cast the deciding vote." Now you're further punishing a fan film project you've never viewed based on whomever you're getting your information from.

Frankly, this whole situation has sullied my view of you, your "service"/efforts, your posts and "SciFiPulse" in particular. You've been called out for making an error, and rather than correct the problem by removing the "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" label from "Reclamation," you're going to punish the producers by removing its listing.

I don't understand why you don't admit the error, make the correction, and move along...
__________________
Randy
--------------------
Project Potemkin
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 10:17 PM   #21
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
doubleohfive's Avatar
 
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Oh for crying out loud! Captain Randy Hall, why are you being such a crybaby about all of this?

One simple question has been posed to you over and over again yet you seem completely unwilling to answer:

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
I simply wanted clarification to see what was so "adult" about "Reclamation" so that my fan film when it's released won't be labeled "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT."
Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
No one asked you to take "Reclamation" off the list. I'm asking you to explain why you place the notice for it in your "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" section.
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't quite know how Captain Randy Hall can qualify Star Trek: Lost Frontier as 'mature content' if he hasn't listened to a single episode yet...
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I never suggested that. I merely asserted that I didn't understand your logic in qualifying "Star Trek: Lost Frontier" as 'mature content' when you had yourself admitted you hadn't even listened to a single show.
Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Can someone explain what "Mature Content" means? I just watched "Reclamation" and didn't find anything worthy of such an off-putting label.
Barbreader wrote: View Post
I have no idea where Randy got his opinion about the audio show. Lost Frontier. It is not classified as "adult content" at my website, and it won't be unless somebody says it should be, and justifies that, or I listen to it myself and conclude that.
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Who is "they" ? And why do you have such an issue with confronting the fact that because you have not listened to any episodes of Lost Frontier, you are unable to make an informed qualification about its content? I personally don't see what could be construed as 'adult content' in any of the shows we've done, but I'd be willing to bow down to your preferential opinion on the matter had you actually taken the time to listen to any of our shows. Right now, you haven't done that, and have mislabled the podcasts. All I've done is say "Hey, I don't think that's a fair qualification."
Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
No one asked you to take "Reclamation" off the list. I'm asking you to explain why you place the notice for it in your "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" section.
...yet each time, Captain Randy Hall, you ignore our question, you change the subject, or you throw a temper tantrum. I have to admit, I don't understand why.

I'll additionally add to this --for the record-- that I never once asked Captain Randy Hall to remove Star Trek: Lost Frontier from his list. It was difficult enough to get on the list to begin with, and being removed seems to fly in the face of the list's raison d'être.

I simply would like to know WHO these people are who have qualified Lost Frontier as 'adult content' and why, as I am a writer for that series, Captain Randy Hall feels he has to resort to such passive-aggressive tactics and behavior when confronted with such a query.

There's no need to remove Reclamation or Lost Frontier from your list. We are only asking for you to remove the "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" label from them. Our reasoning is simple: We have seen/heard these productions and can tell you with full authority the content therein does not constitute adult content.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 04:44 AM   #22
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral
 
MikeH92467's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

I think it's about time for someone to step in and send you guys to neutral corners...(no intent to upstage the mods here). As someone with no ax to grind with either party I'd like to make a modest suggestion: Randy, before putting the "adult content' or 'mature' label on a show, why not simply contact the producers and ask whether they think such a label is warranted? I think the intent to flag possibly offensive material is fine, but of course, one person's meaty content is going to be another's indigestably outrageous content. Double OH, I think you really could cut Randy some slack. Trying to keep track of the fan production universe isn't easy and if Randy isn't doing perfectly, well, he's making an effort to fill a void that I think we can all agree needs filling.
I know it's easier said than done, but I really would like to see you two do a 'reboot' and let whatever happened fade away.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 05:44 AM   #23
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

OK, let's start off with the title of this thread:
Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

My poor little dialup wouldn't even let me download an audio file, but I did look over the Web pages for both Lost Frontier and Dark Frontier.

Regarding Lost Frontier, their website at http://www.darkerprojects.com/lostfrontier.php states that the last episode the group has produced was released on September 22 of last year. I've looked through their site, but I don't see any sign of another episode being in the works.

Again, I started this thread to let people know when new films or other projects are coming out in that three-month period (right now, June, July and August). I'd have been happy to post about LF if I knew about it and had started this thread last September. Even without the debate over "Adult Content," it's way behind what I think should be the timing of this thread. I don't mind having given them some free publicity, but I need to know if or when a new project is coming out from those folks. Feel free to start a thread to discuss that project as you wish.

On to Dark Frontier. The latest release from them was about a month ago, so I don't mind including that effort for a while. However, I went to their site at http://www.triple-fictionproductions...dex.php?p=1_10 and found that their synopses of two episodes start with these two words:

(EXPLICIT CONTENT)

I'll be happy to remove the word WARNING but if they say their material is "explicit," who am I to disagree? Again, if you guys want to start a thread about this, fire away.

As for a definition of "adult," I recommend you refer to the Dark Frontier site and follow their lead.

I hope this settles the problem.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org

Last edited by Captain Randy Hall; June 13 2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 05:46 AM   #24
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I think it's about time for someone to step in and send you guys to neutral corners...(no intent to upstage the mods here). As someone with no ax to grind with either party I'd like to make a modest suggestion: Randy, before putting the "adult content' or 'mature' label on a show, why not simply contact the producers and ask whether they think such a label is warranted? I think the intent to flag possibly offensive material is fine, but of course, one person's meaty content is going to be another's indigestably outrageous content. Double OH, I think you really could cut Randy some slack. Trying to keep track of the fan production universe isn't easy and if Randy isn't doing perfectly, well, he's making an effort to fill a void that I think we can all agree needs filling.
I know it's easier said than done, but I really would like to see you two do a 'reboot' and let whatever happened fade away.
Thanks for your support, Mike. I think we now have the situation well in hand.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 06:29 AM   #25
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore
 
Location: Southwest Georgia
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
I think we now have the situation well in hand.
So, let's get this straight. I asked you why you listed "Reclamation" as "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" and you explained that if it had "nudity, vulgarity, extreme violence, things like that," it would be classified as such.

I then asked you to present evidence from that episode that justified such a rating, and you admitted that you hadn't seen the episode.

However, you now suddenly claim it's rated that because the website, http://www.triple-fictionproductions...dex.php?p=1_10 said that the first two episodes in the series have "EXPLICIT CONTENT" warning labels, and I will readily concede that point. However, you didn't originally link to that obviously outdated website (which only lists TWO of the FIVE episodes in the series). No, in your listing you linked it to the up-to-date site http://vimeo.com/11731801 which clearly states:
(GENERAL CONTENT)The final episode of the 5 part mini-series. After regaining control of the Sudrian, the away team prepares to return to Terok Nor. But they are not alone. Dr. Carter and her team are discovered attempting to depart. Sparking a firefight below decks. Contact is made with a mysterious race of alien beings, who have come back to reclaim those they had lost.
Didn't you even bother to read the website you linked it to? Those two words: GENERAL CONTENT are quite different from the EXPLICIT CONTENT that you're continuing to insist that this fan film has.

The fact of the matter is that you have committed several errors, and have now compounded those errors with duplicity.

Yes, you really have the situation "well in hand."
__________________
Randy
--------------------
Project Potemkin
http://www.projectpotemkin.com

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; June 13 2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: edited for clarity and to remove a stray HTML code of some sort
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 08:22 AM   #26
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
doubleohfive's Avatar
 
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
OK, let's start off with the title of this thread:
Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

My poor little dialup wouldn't even let me download an audio file, but I did look over the Web pages for both Lost Frontier and Dark Frontier.

Regarding Lost Frontier, their website at http://www.darkerprojects.com/lostfrontier.php states that the last episode the group has produced was released on September 22 of last year. I've looked through their site, but I don't see any sign of another episode being in the works.

Again, I started this thread to let people know when new films or other projects are coming out in that three-month period (right now, June, July and August). I'd have been happy to post about LF if I knew about it and had started this thread last September. Even without the debate over "Adult Content," it's way behind what I think should be the timing of this thread. I don't mind having given them some free publicity, but I need to know if or when a new project is coming out from those folks. Feel free to start a thread to discuss that project as you wish.
Again you have managed to not answer any of the questions I asked.

Putting that aside for a moment: As I have stated before, I am one of the writers for the Lost Frontier podcasts. Work has been underway since last fall to get our new, 18 episodes ready for release.

Problems we had prior to prepping our new season were numerous. The gentleman who originated the series decided several times to just hang up his hat and end the show. Others, like myself volunteered to take on the writing, post-production and casting duties to continue the series because we felt there were enough people interested that it would be worthwhile. Work continues to this day on this set of 18 episodes. However, as you pointed out, the last released episode was in September.

In an effort to avoid the long gaps between episode releases (where once it had been one episode per month, it suddenly became several months between releases), our new "showrunner" elected to make sure we had a nice batch of episodes ready to go before we start releasing them.

As he is in graduate school, his time is limited. I'm still working on my allotted three scripts, however much work is required even after said scripts are written. Some of which I assist on, some of which I am unable to.

This is just a sampling of what's going on behind the scenes over here, however I felt it was important to address your point that we haven't had a new show out since September. The reason we don't advertise our premiere dates anymore is simple:

There are too many fans out there who cry foul and raise a shit-storm if we don't meet our deadline. So, rather than deal with naysayers and complaining on top of our regular daily lives, responsibilities, joys and frustrations, we don't advertise our release dates till we're absolutely certain we're ready for them. This could very well be in June, July or August. I am unable to say so with any certainty right now because I just plain don't know if it will.

What I don't understand is the seeming bias being shown against us. Starship Exeter is still working on their second episode, and no release date has been officially given for their final act, yet they are still listed "NO RELEASE DATE GIVEN" on your list here. Why can't we be shown the same courtesy?

But back to the original subject issue: None of the above has anything to do with what's been going on in this thread. It does not answer my question nor my request.

If you can't listen to one of our shows, for whatever reason you decide to offer up -- lack of time, or technological inability, that's fine. I understand. However, in the interim, as one of the writers and producers of the series for whom I am arguing this point I would respectfully ask that if you can't listen to the show, take my word that it is NOT quantifiable for the WARNING - ADULT CONTENT label.

I hope this settles the problem.
I would very much like to settle the problem. Especially as mature adults. I'm certainly willing to work with you if you are with me. As I've said, I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but you have to understand that being the point man on this means you're going to get all the praise and all the criticism.

As someone who has, admittedly stumbled through trying to offer constructive criticism (and I fully admit I've probably not done the greatest job at it 100% of the time), it makes it very difficult to take this all seriously when we're not meeting each other halfway. Asking questions, pointing out errors, or raising an issue does not equate to my not appreciating your work here, nor should it give you reason to become so incensed.

I think if we can both agree to this, to respecting one another and to recognizing that we both have the same interests in mind, this whole little melodrama will fade away. I haven't felt like that's something you're very interested in though, and it's made it rather difficult to reason with you, particularly when you ignore the questions I ask and threaten to remove us from your list. There's very much a feeling that it's being done out of spite. I hope that's not the case, as I do --again-- appreciate what you're trying to do here.

I'm all for neutral corners and playing fair. I'm all for respecting each other's opinions and points of view ... but we all need to be adults about things and not take it all so personally.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 09:58 PM   #27
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
I think we now have the situation well in hand.
So, let's get this straight. I asked you why you listed "Reclamation" as "WARNING: ADULT CONTENT" and you explained that if it had "nudity, vulgarity, extreme violence, things like that," it would be classified as such.

I then asked you to present evidence from that episode that justified such a rating, and you admitted that you hadn't seen the episode.

However, you now suddenly claim it's rated that because the website, http://www.triple-fictionproductions...dex.php?p=1_10 said that the first two episodes in the series have "EXPLICIT CONTENT" warning labels, and I will readily concede that point. However, you didn't originally link to that obviously outdated website (which only lists TWO of the FIVE episodes in the series). No, in your listing you linked it to the up-to-date site http://vimeo.com/11731801 which clearly states:
(GENERAL CONTENT)The final episode of the 5 part mini-series. After regaining control of the Sudrian, the away team prepares to return to Terok Nor. But they are not alone. Dr. Carter and her team are discovered attempting to depart. Sparking a firefight below decks. Contact is made with a mysterious race of alien beings, who have come back to reclaim those they had lost.
Didn't you even bother to read the website you linked it to? Those two words: GENERAL CONTENT are quite different from the EXPLICIT CONTENT that you're continuing to insist that this fan film has.

The fact of the matter is that you have committed several errors, and have now compounded those errors with duplicity.

Yes, you really have the situation "well in hand."
So let's see. You apparently want me to link to the part of the site that has general content but not the part of it that has explicit content.That would be a nice trick. Or is it that only partially explicit content makes the site AOK? Do you really think that people won't wander into the explicit stuff when they've gotten to the site? And that I won't receive fiery email complaining that I'm sending people to a place that comes right out and says it has "Explicit Content?" Were they kidding or lying when they said at least some of their content was explicit? Once I saw the word "EXPLICIT" at least two times describing items in the site, that was the end of the debate for me.

My big error in all of this was thinking that everyone understood what this thread is for. It also seems that folks think generating enough heat will make me change my mind on things. Do they get this kind of thing over in the Trek Lit area? Would they think a book that is only partially explicit is AOK for all readers?

I'll still put this project in next Friday's list, but it will still have an "Adult Content" title.

This continues to be a colossal waste of my time. If you like the project, go start a thread so you can discuss it all you want.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 11:15 PM   #28
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
doubleohfive's Avatar
 
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
So let's see. You apparently want me to link to the part of the site that has general content but not the part of it that has explicit content.That would be a nice trick. Or is it that only partially explicit content makes the site AOK? Do you really think that people won't wander into the explicit stuff when they've gotten to the site? And that I won't receive fiery email complaining that I'm sending people to a place that comes right out and says it has "Explicit Content?"
I think that if people reading your reviews come back to you and complain, you (and they) should be adult enough to recognize --and be responsible enough-- that as adults they have the choice to view or not view the film in question. It's not your job to dictate what's objectionable to everyone. Not everyone shares your outlook on what qualifies as 'adult content.' If the aforementioned project has warnings on their site, leave it at that. Why involve yourself any further after all this sturm and drang?

Further, I would still like to know who told you Lost Frontier was full of adult content, and what they found objectionable. Your consistent refusal to answer this question leaves me wondering if it's just a stubborn ploy to not give an inch so you can be "right" when all is said and done. Prove me wrong.


My big error in all of this was thinking that everyone understood what this thread is for.
I thought this thread was for listing all the current fan films in production and due to be released. As the podcasts I write for are currently in production, I wanted to have them listed and to keep our name 'out there.' I assumed this meant our interests were one and the same, but your continued erratic behavior leads me to suspect otherwise.

If anything, your big error, Randy, is how much you have been overreacting to everything.

It also seems that folks think generating enough heat will make me change my mind on things. Do they get this kind of thing over in the Trek Lit area? Would they think a book that is only partially explicit is AOK for all readers?
Again. We're all adults. I don't see why you are taking on this burden. Let me break it down for you.

The two productions in question -- Dark Frontier's "Reclamation" and "Lost Frontier" have been erroneously qualified by you as having mature content, despite your never having seen them. A writer from one production (me, from Lost Frontier) and a viewer who has actually watched the other (Potemkin_Prod, re: "Reclamation"), have explained -- numerous times-- that

a) There isn't any mature content therein.

b) We have requested that you remove the warning label.

Yet you seem to be incapable of seeing these points or considering these requests.

Your logic, thus far, and as near as I can determine, is flawed.

I'll still put this project in next Friday's list, but it will still have an "Adult Content" title.
Again -- why? Have you watched the program? If so, and if you've determined there is adult content contained within, fair enough. I'd love to know what constitutes adult content in either production.

Again -- why are you so dismissive of us when we tell you there's not any adult content? I mean, how can you expect any production to take you seriously when you are so fundamentally rude to any of us who dare speak out or explain a mistake?

This continues to be a colossal waste of my time. If you like the project, go start a thread so you can discuss it all you want.
Translation: "My way or the highway." That's swell, Randy, really. Throw another temper tantrum.

On top of that little pearl, you are, effectively saying "your opinions don't amount to jack shit."

Now, I don't know if you'd have that same reaction to say James Cawley or Jimm Johnson, but for what it's worth I personally don't appreciate your shitty attitude.

I don't know if you even bothered reading my last post, but I tried really, really hard to come around and meet you half-way on this issue and mend the fence with regard to our interaction so far.

I'm realizing now it may just flat out be impossible to expect you to act like an adult here. For all your altruistic intentions, you're being a big crybaby about all of this.

Frankly, your warped perceptions on what's going on here, your inability to answer questions posed to you, and your immature, passive-aggressive approach to myself and Potemkin_Prod and our queries, critiques, and issues we've raised has truly soured me on you and your ability to promote our productions.

Honestly, really makes it damn near impossible for me to believe you aren't just plain out to screw us and our productions because we dared stir the pot in your sandcastle.

Nobody will ever agree on everything. You yourself are being a colossal hypocrite, asking for people to submit productions to your list, to make it as complete as possible. But the minute someone dares to tell you you have made a mistake, such as mislabeling a production you are not familiar with, you kick up the sand and say "Screw you guys, I'm not playing with you anymore!"

This isn't first grade. We're all adults and should be able to reason with each other.

You are not being reasonable.

Being that you have not yet answered my questions about what is so objectionable in Lost Frontier, and being that despite my complete and total familiarity with the entire series --both released episodes and not-- and you still discount and dismiss my very much more well-informed opinion than your own and yet still refuse to remove us from your 'adult content' section, I don't know what else I can say or do to reason with you.

Mike from Excelsior, thanks for trying to get us to play fair, I appreciate you trying to send us to our respective corners of the ring, but Randy just doesn't seem to want to play fair here and frankly, it's an embarrassment that this entire melodrama has been going on this long.

I pity the next fan film production that dares to try to question, critique or reason with Randy because he has thus far proven in my estimation that he is incapable of handling anything other than blind praise.

And that's the biggest disservice he can do for these fan films because just like the guys at Exeter, Farragut, Potemkin, and now (likely) Lost Frontier, he's just going to keep driving us all away from his sandbox.

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 14 2010 at 01:55 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 01:39 AM   #29
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore
 
Location: Southwest Georgia
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
So let's see. You apparently want me to link to the part of the site that has general content but not the part of it that has explicit content.That would be a nice trick.
How so? You already did it in your link for "Reclamation." There's no "explicit stuff" on that webpage, nor in the video that's there: http://vimeo.com/11731801. This is YOUR link. It clearly states "GENERAL CONTENT."

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
Or is it that only partially explicit content makes the site AOK? Do you really think that people won't wander into the explicit stuff when they've gotten to the site? And that I won't receive fiery email complaining that I'm sending people to a place that comes right out and says it has "Explicit Content?" Were they kidding or lying when they said at least some of their content was explicit? Once I saw the word "EXPLICIT" at least two times describing items in the site, that was the end of the debate for me.
Red herring. There's no explicit content on the Vimeo webpage you've linked. There's no explicit content in episode 5. I guess you don't know or understand that, or are you simply refusing to believe the visual evidence? Or have you not even visited the site you linked?

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
I'll still put this project in next Friday's list, but it will still have an "Adult Content" title.
Then you are doing the equivalent of a small child sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la-la-la-la-la" rather than simply admitting you're an adult who made a mistake, and correct the error.

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
This continues to be a colossal waste of my time. If you like the project, go start a thread so you can discuss it all you want.
As many people as you've alienated and continue to alienate, and as faulty as your information appears to be (either by intent or negligence, it matters not), then I would agree that this thread and your project is indeed a
"colossal waste of time."
__________________
Randy
--------------------
Project Potemkin
http://www.projectpotemkin.com

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; June 14 2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: goofy html and reiteration of the obvious for someone who can't seem to accept it
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 05:28 AM   #30
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore
 
Captain Randy Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Columbia, Maryland USA
Re: Upcoming Productions for June/July/August

I simply don't have the time to read through the phone book's worth of personal insults and put-downs you guys have spent the last day or so posting. I'll just say "Likewise, I'm sure" and leave it at that.

So let's start with Dark Frontier. My understanding was that the series started out with "EXPLICIT CONTENT" for its first couple of episodes. Then at some point, everything seemed to go from EXPLICIT to GENERAL. What did they change to make that transition? I hope they didn's simply change the word and pllug right along.

So they've apparently made a change in the content. Then why haven't they taken down the posts online that still have the EXPLICIT label? No chance of confusion there, right?

I will bump their entry to the RECENT RELEASES section, even if it's just so people who come to this thread can actually find what they're looking for: a list of fan films instead of a barrage of fiery put-downs.

But I will file away for future use just who did what in this little fire-go-round.
__________________
Randy Hall
Captain of the U.S.S. Chesapeake Star Trek Club
http://www.usschesapeake.org

Last edited by Captain Randy Hall; June 14 2010 at 05:57 AM.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
animation, fan film, live action, star trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.