Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 31 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile
Phase II shutting down?

Anybody got any information about this? James Cawley evidently Facebooked last night that it's being shut down, but I haven't seen anything else.
syberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Phase II shutting down?

That'd be too bad if true.
Old August 31 2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I just looked at the facebook page, but didn't see that it said anything specific. There was one post about him "loving being stabbed in the back" and another about being "done," but I don't know if this pertains to Buck Rogers, Wild Wild West, Star Trek Phase II or something personal. We should wait and see before we jump to conclusions.
Old August 31 2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I see no indication on Facebook. Wonder if it's a prank?

Edited to add: Now that I've seen his actual page, it still doesn't mean Phase II is done or that he is done. Much of the stuff on his wall has been about WWW. Wonder if that's where the problem is?
Old August 31 2010, 06:13 PM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

It would be really weird for them to suddenly shut Phase II down after giving Cawley a little background role in STXI.
Old August 31 2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

I think more people than just Cawley would know, and people would be talking about it on the Phase II forum if this were the case.
Old August 31 2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Cawley has been upset because of personal attacks some Trekkies have directed at him. There has been a group at TrekMovie.com which have taken to attacking him at every opportunity. Even when some post isn't related to Phase II at all, they start attacking him if they can think of some weird way to bring him or Phase II into the subject. These attacking people seem to be idiots, but the world is full of idiots.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...&v=wall&ref=ts
Here is his wall. He doesn't lack people consoling him. Patty Wright decided to treat it as 'done packing' for the Con.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Picard Alpha
Commander

It would be a true shame if Phase II ended. They've been cranking out some excellent material lately and hit a good stride.
Picard Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:31 PM   #10
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I really doubt the entire production would shutdown overnight, unless it was due to tax evasion or something.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I doubt Cawley is going to shut down production over bashing on the internetz. If you're going to tackle anything iconic, from Superman to Star Trek (as well as the mundane, like online erotica), you're going to get bashed by people who don't like what you're doing.

And anyway, the real Trekkers whose opinions matter post here, not at Trekmovie.com.
Old August 31 2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Maestro wrote: View Post
And anyway, the real Trekkers whose opinions matter post here, not at Trekmovie.com.
That's so far from true it's not funny.

Which is a separate issue from James and whatever's going on at Facebook...and as others have noted, he hasn't posted a word to indicate that his current frustration involves Phase II or his other movie projects.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'm still wondering if that "stabbed in the back" line might have something to do with a stunt that went bad and he wound up getting poked by accident.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 09:00 PM   #14
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

This isn't the first time there's been a shake-up with the New Voyages/Phase II people that gets made public but without any explanation. Back when Jack Marshall left, a big pomp and circumstance was made about how he was leaving but no explanation offered publicly. When posters inquired why, Jack got super defensive about it.

On a somewhat related note, I wish fans and friends would stop going nuts every time an obscure Facebook status appears. Clearly Cawley is having some issues with some people, and if it's because of the a-hole Trekkies out there, that's unfortunate. He's been doing this show for all these years as a labor of love and he's been kind enough to share it with us. That people are unable to offer their commentary in a constructive way is saddening and it's why I find myself hating Star Trek. Not because of the productions but because of the many, many assholes that call themselves 'fans.' Besides, even if Cawley were shutting down production, I have no doubt that there would be a PR announcement from him or at the very least a (lengthy, informed) post from GSchnitzer about same.

However, I will also agree with Maestro's point and expand it further: Cawley is re-interpreting a famous, beloved franchise. This isn't Exeter or Farragut or Hidden Frontier where most of the characters are all original creations, Cawley specifically resurrected the original big boys from the show. And more power to him for doing it successfully... but people disagreeing with your take on things, people not liking what you do, from Elvis hair to goatees to modern visual effects ... it's part and parcel for the entire endeavor.

But this same issue is also why I'm a little irritated that Cawley is trying to do same with the Wild Wild West and to a certain, lesser extent, Buck Rogers. Certainly I'm not against the guy doing what he wants to do, and I love that there will be new product out there ... but if the negative fan reaction is to the point that it's getting him down (and I admit I am totally filling in the gap there) then I kind of have to wonder why he'd be setting himself up for even more of it? I mean, clearly the resources are there to do pretty much anything the P2 guys want to do ... and licenses and rights aside, while Buck Rogers is at least something they can make some money off, it's not exactly venturing in to original territory for them.
Old August 31 2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
That's so far from true it's not funny.
I am arrogant enough to disagree, however wise enough to know that you would have been insight than I. Would you be kind enough to explain to me. And, PM would be fine.