New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

The next Discworld TV mocie is: Going Postal...

Trailer...

In the latest installment to the adaptions of Terry Pratchett's award winning Discworld series, Sky One and The Mob return to Ankh-Morpork. Moist von Lipwig, the Big Wahoonie's newest civil servant, has been granted a stay of execution by Lord Havelock Vetinari. However, running the Ankh-Morpork Post Office is more dangerous than Moist bargained for. Joined by Mr. Pump, Junior Postman Tolliver Groat and his assistant Stanley Howler, Moist sets out to restore the Post Office to its former glory. His way is barred, however, by the infamous Reacher Gilt, chairman of the Grand Trunk Company. Moist also finds love, in the unexpected personification of Adora Belle Dearheart.

Starring:
Richard Coyle - Moist von Lipwig
David Suchet - Reacher Gilt
Charles Dance - Patrician Havelock Vetinari
Claire Foy - Adora Belle Dearheart
Marnix Van Den Broeke - Mr. Pump
Steve Pemberton - Drumknott
Andrew Sachs - Tolliver Groat
Tamsin Greig - Miss Cripslock
Ingrid Bolsø Berdal - Sgt. Angua
Adrian Schiller - Mr. Gryle

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The next Discworld TV mocie is: Going Postal...

First part is tonight on Sky One.
Old May 30 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
23skidoo
Admiral

This looks great! I'm surprised there's been absolutely no buzz about these productions. I greatly enjoyed Hogfather, but even with that one I heard about it when I found the DVD! Both it and, it seems, Going Postal look like they could have easily been theatrical releases. I'm surprised they're "slumming it" on SkyHD.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^If I recall Going Postal had a budget of £6m.
Old May 30 2010, 08:10 PM   #5
John Clark
Commodore

I've read a few of the books, but not this one.

Overall I enjoyed the first part
Old May 30 2010, 08:16 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

who was playing Horsefry? cuz they bloody squished the credits and i couldn't read it....

and Angua was HOT!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
John Clark
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
who was playing Horsefry? cuz they bloody squished the credits and i couldn't read it....

and Angua was HOT!
Madhav Sharma I believe.

And yes, I liked Angua too. I was wondering if it was her when she first appeared. Less than a moment later, that question was answered in her own fashion
Old May 30 2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

I think this was the best yet with Colour slumming it at the bottom under Hogfather. I can't wait to see the enxt part. Didn't forsee any of the casting with no one looking wuite how I thought they would be I'd say them all playing them perfectly so that when I re-read I'll defiantly be seeing them in future.
Old May 30 2010, 08:43 PM   #9
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the first part, so far this is better than Hogfather or TCOM. Then again, I prefer the novel of Going Postal to the other two (three) novels, so it's not hard for the film adaptation to interest me more. Richard Coyle makes a good Moist von Lipwig, which is good because David Jason being horribly miscast as Rincewind really hurt TCOM for me. In fact, all the main characters were casted well, my only problem is that they didn't bring back the guy who played Ridcully in Hogfather because he fit that role quite well, the new guy acts too wise to be Ridcully. But that's only a minor part in this story, so it's okay.

I've heard that they've already begun work on the next adaptation which is to be Sourcery. That sounds good to me (so long as David Jason doesn't return), Sourcery is one of my favourite novels from the early part of the series along with Mort and Guards! Guards!.

John Clark wrote:
I've read a few of the books, but not this one.

Overall I enjoyed the first part
I'm going to state the bleedin' obvious here, but the novel is better. You should read it if only to read the sequel, Making Money, which was my favourite Discworld novel since Night Watch. Pratchett also has plans for one more Moist novel called Raising Taxes.
Old May 30 2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm going to state the bleedin' obvious here, but the novel is better. You should read it if only to read the sequel, Making Money, which was my favourite Discworld novel since Night Watch. Pratchett also has plans for one more Moist novel called Raising Taxes.
Thank you for that snippet of information TheGodBen, i've been wondering if Sir Pratchett was going to revisit Moist and co. in the near future.
Old May 31 2010, 02:04 PM   #11
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I also really enjoyed it and am looking forward to part 2 later. Going Postal is my favourite Discworld book so I'm glad they've done it justice. That cast was never going to hurt of course, and 4 hours of this plus another hour of Pulse is a very suitable amount of Claire Foy to have in my week!

And yeah, Angua was hot. Turning into a werewolf in public isn't something she'd do though, surely? Unless it's hyperbole, the account of the arrest coming as it does in Moist's letter to Adora Belle? I know he finds out she's a werewolf in Making Money though so it's not too big a deal.

Is Sourcery really next? I haven't even read that!
Old May 31 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Defiantly better than 'Colour of Magic', but that's not saying a whole lot. I like the little cameos of Angua and Otto. The watch books are my favourites so I got a real kick out of the former...still I can't help but feel her characterisation is a little too "sexy". I've always pictured Angua as being...well not tomboyish exactly but certainly not quite so feminine. Still for such a brief appearance it's understandable, if it was 'Men at Arms' or one of the others then she'd get a more faithful portrayal.

I'm surprised to hear that 'Sourcery' is next, I'd have thought they'd be doing one of the witches books, but Sourcery is still a good choice.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Angua is definitely gorgeous in the books. Dangerous but gorgeous.
Old May 31 2010, 03:59 PM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Oh sure, but I didn't mean physically. I was talking more about personality and demeanour.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 04:04 PM   #15
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Is Sourcery really next? I haven't even read that!
That's what I've read, I think they revealed it at the press screening, just like they revealed that they were working on TCOM at the press screening of Hogfather. They certainly are choosing the adaptations in an odd order.

Sourcery is my favourite Rincewind novel, it did the best job of making him into a relatable character rather than a cowardly caricature, and he comes away from that novel as a sort of heroic figure that was willing to stand up and fight for the things that matter to him. He even cried at one point. Without spoiling it for you, it doesn't have a traditional happy ending, but it's very touching. It will be interesting to see how the TV adaptation will handle that without Eric following it up.

Reverend wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that 'Sourcery' is next, I'd have thought they'd be doing one of the witches books, but Sourcery is still a good choice.
I would have thought Mort would be next, but I've been thinking that since Hogfather was announced. For years beforeHogfaher, Mort had always seemed like the obvious choice: it was the first Death-centric novel, it was early enough in the series that it didn't have a complicated back-story, and it's a good story in its own right. Pratchett was even in talks with a Hollywood studio many years ago about doing a film adaptation of it, talks that fell apart when they insisted on getting rid of the Death angle from the story. I still don't know what drugs those guys were taking, but they must have been good.