Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2012, 09:55 PM   #1426
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Dan Slott confirms Superior Spider-Man is NOT Peter Parker.

And just like that, a good chunk of my interest is gone. I don't want to read about a grim and gritty Spider-Man.
Old October 11 2012, 10:10 PM   #1427
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

And here's a formal statement from Marvel that I hadn't seen before but was apparently released yesterday:
"Peter Parker has spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ends dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700," Marvel said. "NOW! the new Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger... Superior."

"This is still very much the world of Spider-Man. There may be a new Spider-Man here, doing things in a new and different way, but you're going to see the Spider-cast reacting to this," Slott. "You’re going to see how this Spider-Man will deal with our Spider-Man's villains. How will he react to this Spider-Man's supporting cast? That is clearly the world of this book. The world hasn’t changed, just the hero."
Most of the benefit of the doubt that I expressed just two posts ago was predicated on Slott's handling of Peter Parker. Seeing now that Parker won't be Spider-Man has decreased my interest somewhat, because Ultimate Comics Spider-Man already provides a non-Parker Spidey. I'll still give this a try when it comes out in January since Slott is a damn good writer, but I'll be more willing to be ruthless in culling it out since it won't have Parker.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 11:09 PM   #1428
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Dan Slott confirms Superior Spider-Man is NOT Peter Parker.

And just like that, a good chunk of my interest is gone. I don't want to read about a grim and gritty Spider-Man.
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
And here's a formal statement from Marvel that I hadn't seen before but was apparently released yesterday:
"Peter Parker has spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ends dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700," Marvel said. "NOW! the new Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger... Superior."

"This is still very much the world of Spider-Man. There may be a new Spider-Man here, doing things in a new and different way, but you're going to see the Spider-cast reacting to this," Slott. "You’re going to see how this Spider-Man will deal with our Spider-Man's villains. How will he react to this Spider-Man's supporting cast? That is clearly the world of this book. The world hasn’t changed, just the hero."
Most of the benefit of the doubt that I expressed just two posts ago was predicated on Slott's handling of Peter Parker. Seeing now that Parker won't be Spider-Man has decreased my interest somewhat, because Ultimate Comics Spider-Man already provides a non-Parker Spidey. I'll still give this a try when it comes out in January since Slott is a damn good writer, but I'll be more willing to be ruthless in culling it out since it won't have Parker.
Assuming this lasts, I mean this isn't the first time Marvel tried this and it didn't stick then.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 12:26 AM   #1429
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i'm gonna guess 616 Miles Morales.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 12:32 AM   #1430
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Maybe it will be Ben Reilly, back from the dead? That is the only way I think I'll find this interesting, I really don't want a Spider-Man thats not Peter, and I doubt it will last very long, Marvel isn't going to let probably their biggest character (Peter Parker's version of Spider-Man) be gone/dead for very long.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 01:58 AM   #1431
JD
Admiral

I'm going to start by saying (like usual) I haven't read any current Spider-Man comics, so I don't know exactly what's going on with Peter Parker, but it seems weird to be getting rid of him as Spider-Man, when they already have Miles Morales in the Ultimate Universe. I know the universes are different, but I would think they would want to keep at least one version of Peter Parker as Spider-Man since he is one of the most popular and well known characters. It just seems strange to have two heroes named Spider-Man appearing regularly with neither of them being Peter Parker.
Old October 12 2012, 02:06 AM   #1432
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

My guess is also 616 Miles Morales given the ending of "Spider-Men".

Remember folks, this is the aftermath of what happens in Amazing Spider-Man #700 in December, which we know pretty much zip about, except that it will be a "game changer" for the entire Marvel Universe and that Dan Slott expects to get death threats from a whole lot of pissed off Spider-Man fans. He's actually stated this a few times over the plotting and writing of the issue.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 02:31 AM   #1433
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Wow. I almost wish that I still read ASM so I could drop it again.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; October 12 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 02:34 AM   #1434
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Maybe it will be Ben Reilly, back from the dead? That is the only way I think I'll find this interesting, I really don't want a Spider-Man thats not Peter, and I doubt it will last very long, Marvel isn't going to let probably their biggest character (Peter Parker's version of Spider-Man) be gone/dead for very long.
I had that thought as well as soon as I read it's not Peter Parker.

Is Marvel finally giving us Ben Reilly...finally?

No one demanded Kaine back, let alone as Scarlet Spider.
Readers wanted Reilly.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 02:47 AM   #1435
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Maybe it will be Ben Reilly, back from the dead?
Hmm, maybe. Two years, editor Tom Brennan apparently stated at a convention that Reilly's return was "being worked on."

I'd be pretty happy to see Reilly back. As lengthy, convoluted, and downright confusing as the Clone Saga ultimately turned out to be, I was a big fan of Reilly as a younger comics reader back in the '90s.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 03:08 AM   #1436
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Hmmm. What if this is all misdirection? It's been said that...

What if Peter has to take on a new ID, ala witness protection? He'd still be Spider-Man, but Spider-Man would no longer be Peter Parker.
Old October 12 2012, 03:16 AM   #1437
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Wow. I almost wish that I still read ASM so I could drop it again.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 05:19 AM   #1438
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Next weeks previews courtesy of CBR...
Big week for me--Avengers Assemble 8, AvX: Consequences 2, Captain Marvel 5, Daredevil 19, Hawkeye 3, The Mighty Thor 21, New Avengers 31 and Uncanny X-Men 20.

This will be my last issue of Assemble, Thor and of course, Uncanny. Will be dropping Captain Marvel after #6. It just isn't "wowing" me, and when I started with it, I didn't realize that it was twice monthly.
Old October 12 2012, 08:15 AM   #1439
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

-AVX Consequences #2
-Captain Marvel #5
-Ultimate Comics Iron Man #1
-Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16
-Uncanny X-Men #20 (final issue I believe)

Small week after the last couple of big weeks.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 12:45 PM   #1440
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dark Avengers #182 is my only book for next week, from Marvel.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote