Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2012, 04:51 AM   #391
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

you guys see the Secret Avengers Return of Captain Mar-Vell cover? looks like it will be the future Hulkling version of Mar-Vell.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 03:20 PM   #392
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Venom #13.1 - Every week this month the Circle of Four story goes on. Each cover seems to feature a lead character on the cover. This issue had Ghost Rider(Alejandra). This issue starts with guest appearances by Dr.Strange and Damian Hellstrom. Dr. Strange mentions the talisman that is "holding hell back" as last seen when he gave it to Hawkeye to subdue the new Ghost Rider. This took place in GR #7-8, this story is very clearly a Ghost Rider story. I don't see yet why this shouldn't be taking place in a GR title. The other characters serve their purpose for what Blackheart needed I suppose but it's a story about raising Hell and GR is the character clearly tied to that type story.

Now the good news for a GR fan is that at the end of the issue it had a listing for Ghost Rider #9!! I'm excited about that. Marvel allegedly had cancelled the book, anyone heard about a reprieve? I'll take as many more issues as they give me.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 07:50 PM   #393
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Captain Craig...this is an interview/article with Rick Remender that you might find interesting and should address any concerns/questions you might have regarding the current Circle of Four arc and "Venom" in general. This was from early December.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=35762

As for Ghost Rider...I believe the original cancellation notice came just prior to the law suit being settled. I don't know if this changed things or not since Marvel won it. It's possible they rescinded the cancellation after it was settled. I really don't know. I haven't seen anything about it being continued. Also with the film coming out...it makes sense for them to push out a couple more issues.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 08:50 PM   #394
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Nice read about the Venom series. Still not likely to pick it up but the part about Eddie as a background supporting cast member is interesting. Is he no longer Anti-Venom? I've lost track. Hasn't the idea of a Symbiote Infestation been done before? Granted he says invasion in that interview but is feels like semantics to me.

I did some googling since I posted and it seems Ghost Rider #9 is the final issue. But hey, it's Giant Sized!!! And it comes out on my birthday.
Final Giant-Sized Issue! • The Ghost Rider Declares War On Hell To Save The Souls Of Those She Has Damned, No Matter The Consequences! • Will Jonny Blaze Take On The Curse Of The Ghost Rider
Old February 9 2012, 08:53 PM   #395
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Eddie is still Anti-Venom and Marvel has just teased (I wanna say a few days ago, but I can't remember now) an upcoming arc with Venom.

Old February 10 2012, 12:47 AM   #396
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
you guys see the Secret Avengers Return of Captain Mar-Vell cover? looks like it will be the future Hulkling version of Mar-Vell.
I didn't even think of the Hulkling version, but I can see it. I guess it all depends on how Childern's Crusade ends. My first reaction was, "What again? Is the copyright up already?"
Old February 10 2012, 05:34 AM   #397
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Venom #13.1: Yeah I agree with Captain Craig this is clearly a Ghost Rider story, my guess is that due to the cancellation of GR they shifted this story to Venom and included a bunch of guest stars. It's strange since this is considered a Venom event, yet features Ghost Rider villains and GR and Blaze. What it does do, is make me want a Rick Remender written Ghost Rider mini-series or going. Another thing is that these point one issues are supposed to be mini-previews/teasers for the upcoming years story lines. This is just a continuation of an arc. The art is fantastic in this book as usual.

Old February 10 2012, 02:51 PM   #398
Mr Light
Admiral

Wow, they cancelled Ghost Rider just as the new movie is coming out?! They weren't hoping for a bump?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 02:57 PM   #399
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

They cancelled the book back in November I believe, along with X-23's ongoing series. The lawsuit was going on at the time still, don't know if that had anything to do with the decision but yeah it just turns out the final issue is out around the same time the film comes out lol.

Old February 10 2012, 03:05 PM   #400
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I know that legitimately the sales were mediocre at best after the first 6 issues. The cancel news came just as or just before issue #7 hit the stands. I think they really missed an opportunity to promote the book to new fans as well as try to convince other Marvel readers the current direction was going to be intriguing. If nothing else get the GR fans who took the last series into the 30's back. The Circle of Four story crossing over with Venom, Red Hulk and X-23 AND being a story featuring Blackheart one of if not his dominant foe. Then cross promote with the movie opening next weekend.
It's a shame cause while I admit the first few issues were rocky in establishing who the new GR was, her background etc. that by issue 4/5 it was moving pretty good and issues 7-8 were part of showing how she(Alejandra) and Blaze were going to work together as well as set up a key element seen in Circle of Four, the talisman holding hell back.

The lawsuit is a non-issue as it's been on going for some time. Was in place while the last GR title went well into the 30's.
Old February 10 2012, 03:12 PM   #401
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Rick Remender is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. As I have mentioned in the past, I'm not a huge Ghost Rider fan and know only maybe the basics of his mythos, but what I have read in the past two issues...Remender is the writer who should handle the character next. Another theme that I think is being explored that the four characters being used all have checkered/dark pasts that haunt them. Flash with his constant ongoing struggle against alcoholism which the symbiont has slowly started to use to corrupt him, Red Hulk...we all know about Thunderbolt Ross, X-23 has had to deal with being a killer clone, Ghost Rider of course and they're issues, so I think that is why all of these characters kind of gel in this book. I really have enjoyed Red Hulk's development since he was first introduced by Loeb...it's amazing how other writers have handled him. He actually has started to become a favourite character of mine...

Old February 10 2012, 11:04 PM   #402
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Meant to mention I also read last night-

Scarlet Spider #2 - Good read. Despite not knowing the full ins/outs of what happened during Spider Island yet I feel I'm getting enough snap shots via flashbacks to carry me. From a "chicken/egg" argument it's nice that there is a meta human bad guy running around as an assassin in Houston before our hero decided to make it his home. Sometimes the narrative by characters is "We didn't have super villains before we had a super hero". I'm going to keep playing this out as I suspect our rescued young lady has more to reveal about the situation and even herself. While I wish the costume were a bit more throwback with obvious ties to the 90's outfit this one is growing on me.

Incredible Hulk #5 - Well now that we know who split Banner from the Hulk I'm a bit disapointed I didn't see it coming. I was thinking it might be The Leader, seemed a cliched enough angle but it really was
. Not that either would be a good choice but you just know his "fee" is going to play out as crucial in some story down the road. I don't even look for him to call the marker in anytime soon.
I'm still hoping that Banner can turn into A Hulk and hope that Hulk is Gray!! That while the surgeon separated out Green from Banner that another psyche still lingers. All 3 flavors of Hulk fighting in one scene that isn't imaginary or inside someones mind would please me.
Old February 10 2012, 11:23 PM   #403
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I like the fact that Kaine's new costume isn't just redesign of Ben's, as much as I wanted the actual costume to be used myself. While he is inspired by his "brother" and wants to redeem himself, he really isn't the sentimental type. One of the reasons why I love what has been done with Kaine recently is that he is so different in character to Peter or Ben, yet still has similarities.

@Captain Craig...I scanned your Hulk review and saw the spoilers(as the thread title says though spoilers are allowed in here)...damn. I wish I hadn't read that LOL Interesting though and yeah I didn't see that either. Doom has been less "Evil" since joining the Future Foundation.

Old February 12 2012, 05:21 AM   #404
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

So I popped into my LCS late this afternoon and I noticed this homage cover of Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 9 #6. I did not see this on Wed and I had to buy it just for the cover, something I very rarely do.

The Marvel Zombies should recognize this as Tomb of Dracula #10, the first appearance of Blade.

I didn't want to start a thread just for this but since it has Marvel ties thought the readers of the thread might get a kick out of it, I did.
Old February 12 2012, 05:25 AM   #405
JD
Admiral

^That's awesome. Is there stuff with Nikki in the issue or is that just a joke variant cover?