TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 20 2012, 10:20 PM   #331
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
I found some enjoyment in the other 4 issues but I don't argue the pacing was a bit slow.
Ironically I'd say you quit reading as the narrative was starting to tighten up. Issue #6 wrapped up the initial explanation with Adam. Then 7&8 were the Hawkeye issues where Blaze, at the conclusion of 8, is accepted by Alejandra has a new mentor. Thus replacing Adam which proved he only had used her and was not of noble steed like she had thought.
i thought some stuff was silly, like Mephisto giving Johnny a giant spaceship shaped like a motorcycle. but if you say the last few issues were good then i may go back and read those eventually.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 11:02 PM   #332
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Yeah, the spaceship ride shaped like a motorcycle was a bad artistic choice. I really think the artist was more suited to drawing Alejandra, maybe why they chose that artist. I thought the portrayal of Johnny was a bit skinny and that the renderings of him lashing out, like when he was trying to kick down the metaphysical door to Mephisto's realm just looked off. I think the script for that read well but the art applied to it gave it a sillier feel.
Johnny still is drawn too thin for me but I feel the story does sharpen up through issues 5-8. The first four though, yeah I think they were still getting their footing.

Read Avenging Spiderman #3 last night.
Overall a good issue. Yes, I know it's a Spidey title but I was bummed Hulk was out of commission for half the issue. Thought that at this point JJJ should start acting like an adult and just accept Spidey is a hero. Some of that dialogue was just OTT silly imo. A grown man on the downside of the age curve holding onto that type grudge ends up destroying himself...ask Ross. I agree with, I think it was Admiral Young, that they dropped a few nuggets for Mole Man to reappear with a grudge later on, but soon most likely.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 12:15 AM   #333
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The stuff with Jonah bothered me. Slott has Jonah in a kind of truce with Peter after the death of Marla. He still yells and acts like a crazy man but he's not as pompous as he was written in this book which was over the top. There was some amusing moments between the two though. I really liked Peter's speech to him.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 04:14 AM   #334
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the Mole Man plot will be picked up in a future issue of Daredevil. Avenging Spidey has been a lot of fun so far.
Old January 23 2012, 10:27 PM   #335
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I may have been the only one in this thread reading it but after Bendis is done with Moon Knight at issue #12 and wraps his story the book is cancelled.
Sales were falling they say but that runs contrary to how the numbers look in the Previews Top 100 from issues 6-8. Rank was, if I recall, 92-->87-->78.

I think they just wanted to cut another book.

A poster at comicbookresources ponders if this move could be incoming EIC Alonso cleansing the board of outgoing EIC Quesada ideas of which Bendis on MK with this "hook" was one.

Anticipating a new MK hopefully coming out of A vs X this summer.
Old January 23 2012, 10:32 PM   #336
Saga
Rear Admiral

i've been reading Moon Knight...but i really don't like the way Bendis has been writing him. the whole Spidey/Cap/Wolverine personalities doesn't make sense to me...even though MK is crazy.
Old January 23 2012, 10:35 PM   #337
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yeah, agreed. I didn't like the idea of the premise when I heard it. It reeked of Bendis not being able to think outside the "Avengers box". He didn't embrace what made MK, MK.

I read it in hopes of once Bendis left a new writer would get us back to a more familiar Marc Spector. *Sigh* Maybe next series.
Old January 23 2012, 10:43 PM   #338
Mike Farley
Commodore

So, that's what? The third dead Moon Knight series in the last five years or so?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 11:06 PM   #339
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i've been reading Moon Knight...but i really don't like the way Bendis has been writing him. the whole Spidey/Cap/Wolverine personalities doesn't make sense to me...even though MK is crazy.
Dare I ask?
Old January 23 2012, 11:14 PM   #340
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ You may ask...sorry little joke Yeah I haven't been a fan of Bendis' Moon Knight, or the created personalities. I'm sure there will be a writer that takes up the challenge for yet another volume. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a mini-series or something for later this year.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 24 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old January 23 2012, 11:59 PM   #341
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
So, that's what? The third dead Moon Knight series in the last five years or so?
If you count the Shadowland mini then yes.

Someone on the Marvel board, I think that's where I read it, commented how even though he didn't agree with the Captain Spiderine version of MK he supported it hoping for a change. He chastised "true MK" fans for abandoning the book cause this was 3 strikes and your out and we aren't likely to get an MK book for some time now.
Old January 24 2012, 12:58 AM   #342
Mike Farley
Commodore

People should absolutely abandon a book they're not enjoying. At the end of the day low sales is the only message that gets through to Marvel (or DC).

I have never understood the people that complain about, oh, say Wolverine's over-exposure, but continue to by every book with his name on it. Every book you buy is a message to the company to continue to produce more of the same.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 01:03 AM   #343
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I agree about abandoning books you're not enjoying. I have done this all my life. I consider myself a "hardcore" comic fan as well, but I'm not going to continue to buy books/trades that aren't entertaining me or that I no longer find interesting.

Speaking of abandoning books and interesting...I've got a question. Is anyone still reading Invisible Iron Man? I haven't for a long time. I think since Fraction was on the book. I know they're kind of doing Fear Its Self aftermath stuff right now...seems kind of interesting that all of a sudden Tony isn't the central figure of the Marvel Universe like he was two or three years ago for obvious reasons maybe. I'm just not interested in stuff going on in that book or the War Machine one.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 24 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old January 24 2012, 11:49 PM   #344
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

My last Marvel read from last week- Legion of Monsters #4

This concludes the mini with Elsa Bloodstone, Morbius, Jack Russell/Werewolf by Night, Living Mummy and Manphibian trying to stop a monster targeted virus, of demonic origin?, from spreading and causing the monsters of Monsteropolis, under Manhattan, to go to the surface.
Issue 3 guest starred Son of Satan and this one had Dracula himself. Overall I enjoyed the series. The art wasn't totally to my liking but due to the nature of script, with it's tounge in cheek humor at times the art style fit. If the tone was more hardcore I'd have had issue with the art.
I'd like to see more with the Legion of Monsters as a team, toss in Man-Thing and the line-up is perfect. Just as DC is mimicing Mignola's BPRD with it's Frankenstein Agent of SHADE(which I'm also enjoying) Marvel should keep this up with Legion, imo.

With their Monster city underground it seems another plot could link to the Mole Man. Having just read Avenging Spiderman it seems he needs stopping sooner than later. Also the race, whose name I forget, that Hulk had taken up with in Hulk's new book. Plenty going on underneath the NY area.
Old January 31 2012, 12:48 AM   #345
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I wondered why Fantastic Four and FF shipped on the same week this month, when usually FF comes out the week following. Upon reading them, there was a specific story reason for this to be the case, although it was not really specifically spelled out in either book (Hint: You should read FF first).

As for the story itself-- Johnathon Hickman is firing on all thrusters on both books. I'm really surprised at how much I still like FF post-Fantastic Four 600, as it is now essentially the Fantastic Four's sub-plot book. But with the sub-plots being as good as they have been, who can complain about them?

I can't wait until next month's issues, which are supposed to wrap the majority of Hickman's running plot-lines, and I'm glad that Hickman has decided to stay with both books moving forward.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; January 31 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote