Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 26 2011, 02:02 AM   #271
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JD what era are you looking at for those characters you listed?
Past decade or 80s through now?

For good solo or Silver Surfer-centric stories you need to hit the 90's. His solo title has The Herald Ordeal which is a great read. As are the Infinity War events. Danny Ketch Ghost Rider in the 90's, up through about issue 50 is good material. Moon Knight is fairly good up through about issue 40/45 if memory serves in the early 90's.
For Nova you're going to have to read New Warriors. He hadn't yet regained a solo book in the 90's after having one in the 70's. I don't think you go wrong with the first 25 issues of that for sure.
Guardians of the Galaxy 90's really doesn't resemble the one Marvel has tossed at us currently. Some overtures but it's different. I really loved the first 25+ issues of that as well.
Runaways I don't know.
Thor in the 90's was a mess. I dropped it, the art got bad and the stories very bizarre...even for Thor.

This decade though both the long running Ghost Rider (36 issues) and Moon Knight (30 issues) were both good imo. I even liked the shorter lived Vengeance of MK (10issues + Shadowland 3ish-mini) but admit some thought it uneven.
For Thor start with the JMS material when he brought Thor back after Dissasembled in 2007. The title then goes back to the old numbering for an issue #600 gala.
Surfer hasn't really had much. He had a recent mini but it was nothing to say 'must read'.
I've not read any of Nova but understand his part in the Annihilation War was crucial and a good character piece. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 02:17 AM   #272
JD
Admiral

I'm using Comixology, and most of what they have is stuff from the past decade or so, so I'm pretty much sticking within that time frame. Unless I really love some of the stuff I read and decide I want to get some older stuff that's not digital yet. They do have few some of the characters' first few appearances, and some older stories like Age of Apocalypse, the Dark Phoenix Saga, and maybe one or two others, but other than that they don't have much from before 1998.
Old December 27 2011, 01:24 AM   #273
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JD, do you get everything thru Comixology? Marvel.com is having a post X-Mas sale on much of what Captain Craig and I just recommended to you. 99 cents per issue!
Old December 27 2011, 05:31 AM   #274
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I saw that, but I decided to hold off for now. I have a ton of novels, and Star Wars and Buff comic trades that I wanted to get through before I buy anything more. But, I definitely will use you're list when I start buying stuff again. So thanks for the help.
Old December 30 2011, 06:02 AM   #275
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Bryan Hitch's time with Marvel has expired. Not sure where he will end up or what's next for the superstar artist but some interesting speculation here.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...ade-at-marvel/

I must say that the possibility of a Bryan Hitch drawn Batman has me salivating.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 06:54 AM   #276
Mr Light
Admiral

I find Bryan Hitch to be highly over-rated, personally. I don't get it. The Ultimates I & II don't look that good.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 07:53 AM   #277
Mike Farley
Commodore

Hopefully no-one will be stupid enough to put Hitch on a monthly book.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 01:58 PM   #278
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Read Alpha Flight #7

The art in the book is really good and finally the story has kicked up.
They sure did showcase Heather in a red bikini quite nicely in the book. Not used to that with her character. Amped her sexy factor.
Wolverine shows up, finally after being teased at issue 4.
I've not been wowed by the book as hoped. Feel this arc was too padded and that may be due to having been tied up in Fear Itself for the first 4 issues. Maybe the book could've had a tighter opening arc and started to explore the characters back in the MCU. I think they mishandled AF's intro back from the dead and fully assembled.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 08:52 PM   #279
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Being a Canadian I find the plot of Alpha Flight absolutely stupid. Politicians and politics in the Marvel Universe don't really seem to be portrayed as being very competent. After all this is the same universe who's version of Barack appointed Norman Osborn head of National Security! Yeah I'm kind of glad this incarnation of AF is cancelled. Or will be soon.

Old December 30 2011, 08:55 PM   #280
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Actually Obama didn't make him head of SHIELD/HAMMER. That was the previous guy.

Obama just thought Osborn was alright after the stunt Osborn pulled with the Blunderbolts.
Old December 30 2011, 08:56 PM   #281
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Ah that's right. I forgot. He was riding high after defeating the Skull Queen as well.

Old December 31 2011, 02:17 AM   #282
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I got, but haven't read Annihilators: Earthfall #4 today. I did open it to check to see if it had a hint of more Abnett and Lanning cosmic stuff, but alas, as I feared, it only mentioned to check out Marvel: Point One.

I was really hoping for more DnA cosmic Marvel. I did not read Marvel: Point One, but I did see that there was mostly negative reviews of it on the 'net.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 02:21 AM   #283
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Point One had negative reviews but it served it's purpose as a 2012 primer. I think the biggest thing people had a problem with was the price. I'm looking forward to the return of Nova who is supposed to be a major figure in the upcoming Avengers Vs X-Men. Since he's kind of warning about the return of Phoenix.

Old December 31 2011, 06:22 PM   #284
shivkala
Rear Admiral

But is it the 616-Richard Rider or another Nova? And if it is 626-Nova, then where is Starlord?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 06:44 PM   #285
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's Richard Rider. Star-Lord's status is unknown to me. Last time I saw him was in the Annilation Wave story. In Point One Richard was shown fighting someone (I've forgotten who now) only to abandon the fight and the planet when the Phoenix appeared in all it's white glory. The last panel of his preview story was of Nova warping away to warn everyone that the Phoenix is returning. Marvel has since stated as I said that he'll be playing a major role in Avengers Vs X-Men and the prelude. We don't know what yet though.