Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2013, 12:22 AM   #1951
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I don't know about anyone else...but I really enjoyed "Nova #1". I thought it was a solid first issue. Maybe a sign of the old Jeph Loeb? The Ed McGuiness art is terrific as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 12:43 AM   #1952
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I tend to avoid Jeph Loeb's stuff these days. He's fallen far from the guy who wrote Long Halloween. It's nice to hear that maybe he's bouncing back. Nova has always seemed like a poor man's Green Lantern to me, though, and I've never had much interest in the character.
Old February 23 2013, 01:04 AM   #1953
Mr Light
Admiral

I never would have guessed Loeb wrote Nova #1, it actually had a heartfelt character story! Also, there wasn't a mysterious murder in the opening scene!

And the only good Cyclops uniform is the Jim Lee 1990s uniform

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:06 AM   #1954
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm a Nova fan so I had to check this out...I miss Richard Rider, but Sam Alexander seems interesting and for once Loeb has made me care about characters he's writing again.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 02:12 AM   #1955
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Nova #1 was surprisingly good.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 03:01 AM   #1956
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

I might check out Nova if it's supposed to be good, though it really annoys me we have another Jeph Loeb character named Sam.
Old February 23 2013, 03:33 AM   #1957
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the Sam Alexander/Nova character in Ultimate Spidey is beyond annoying. i picked up Nova #1 cause i love Marvel cosmic stuffs. i expected it to be more of the same Loeb garbage but like i said, it was pretty good.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 04:47 AM   #1958
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well I didn't like like Nova.

It reminded me of Spider-Girl less the whimsy.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 05:32 AM   #1959
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I have all 25 issues of the original Richard Rider series (as well as the issue of Fantastic Four that tied up the book's plotlines). I would have liked to have picked this up, but decided against because, well, I need to trim books from my budget, not the reverse. It's the same reason that I elected not to buy Guardians of the Galaxy on a monthly basis. Although, as I know that GotG will be crossing over into All-New X-Men and the Infinity event, I imagine I might pick up a few issues down the line.
Old February 23 2013, 06:08 AM   #1960
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
I might check out Nova if it's supposed to be good, though it really annoys me we have another Jeph Loeb character named Sam.
FYI, his son's name is Sam Alexander Loeb. It's a tribute like Stargirl in DC Comics is suppose to be an analogue to Geoff Johns sister.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 06:24 AM   #1961
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Oh, I am well aware. He names pretty much everyone Sam. It was the worst in a issue of New Ultimates in which Tony Stark thinks about how he met Jeph Loeb's son in a cancer ward, and muses about how Jeph Loeb's son was even better then sex with Carol Danvers. Ever since then, I hate it so so much.
Old February 23 2013, 04:29 PM   #1962
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
And the only good Cyclops uniform is the Jim Lee 1990s uniform
That's the one they used in the 90s animated series right?

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
It know they're supposed to be the more militant team, but the whole Uncanny team look like a bunch of super-villains. It's kinda off-putting.
Aren't still the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants with delusion of grandeur still. Becuase if they are they probably look that way becuase they kind-of ARE super-villains.
Maybe it's just because I was out of Marvel for so long, but to me: Cyclops, Emma, Magik, those are all good guys! X-Men! I know that a lot has happened to shift this, but to see these characters acting and dressing like villains, while in the book titled Uncanny X-Men (you know, THE X-men book) it just doesn't feel like something I want to read.
Basically some time ago the X-Men split into one team following Xavier's philosophy lead by Wolverine (yeah that was odd) and another team following Magneto's philosophy led by Cyclopes and seeing as Magneto's team was the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants hence why I consider them the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants with delusions of grandure.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #1963
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Indestructible Hulk #4: was good, the assembling of Team Banner R&D was nice to see together. Curious about where this group goes and who's a mole etc etc. Hulk under the ocean, Attuma, what's not to like.

Savage Wolverine #2: While I found this to be an issue that did nothing to move the plot forward another look at the mountain convinces me that somehow Man-Thing may be involved. For that I stick around. However, next issue I need answers on who is dropping people out of the sky. My guess is SHIELD. I then need to know why it took 8 months to do so. Also, Cho seems to have aged quite a bit. He looks almost 20yrs old now. Not the 14-16yr old I recall. They aged him quick or just artist variation? So over at CBR forums in this issues discussion thread someone posted uncolored art from upcoming issue....that sealed it for me on Man-Thing. I doubt I'll get answers as it relates to end of Thunderbolts but I'm reading this arc.

Next week, just Punisher War Zone #5
I've also thinned out my reading stack since summer also. Cost being an issue and funds needed elsewhere. I'd like to check out Nova in TPB but I like Richard so not sure how I feel about this concept.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 09:44 PM   #1964
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Maybe it's just because I was out of Marvel for so long, but to me: Cyclops, Emma, Magik, those are all good guys! X-Men! I know that a lot has happened to shift this, but to see these characters acting and dressing like villains, while in the book titled Uncanny X-Men (you know, THE X-men book) it just doesn't feel like something I want to read.
It's funny, I think I've been away from the X-books LONGER and having Emma as the villain is perfectly natural to me. She's never been a good guy as far as I'm concerned.

Proof of how valid the phrase "to each their own" is!

And I'm loving the x-stuff now. First time I've ever had their books on my pull list and I've been collecting regularly for well over 20 years now.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 05:57 AM   #1965
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm amazed to hear myself say this, but I think I've grown tired of Deadpool. This opening arc has stretched on beyond the point where the joke stopped being funny. Deadpool is being written as a total clown here, without any of the depth that Kelly or Nicieza gave him. Yeah, Deadpool is supposed to be funny, but that's not the only thing that he's about.