RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,464
Members: 25,790
Currently online: 577
Newest member: magnoliamanor

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 27 2015, 05:29 AM   #1
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW

deadline.com

DC Comics superheroes are uniting in a potential new drama series at the CW, a spinoff from hits Arrow and The Flash that will feature several fan-favorite recurring actors/characters from both shows. I have learned that the network has teamed with Arrow creators Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim for a project eyed for next season toplined by Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller and Caity Lotz.
Suicide Squad or Justice League? Whatever it is it sounds more interesting than just an Atom spin off. It's about time we had a team up show...yay.
Old February 27 2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Re: Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW

Atom, Firestorm, Captain Cold, and currently dead Canary. I... have no idea.

Brave and the Bold?
Old February 27 2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Mike Farley
Commodore

The Outsiders is a team name yet to be exploited.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Kind of Bizarre group. Sara is dead, I wonder if Lotz could play another character? Plus I do not see the point of Captain Cold being on another show while the Flash is still on the air.

Teaming up the Atom and Firestorm makes sense though. I am curious where they go with the Atom's powers. At this point he is The Atom in name only. I have always thought shrinking is going to hard to pull off. But I would rather that be tried than being a knockoff of Iron Man.

Flying while he is shrunken seems a logical step up from the comic book character. He could transport via phone and electrical lines. Perhaps the White Dwarf meteorite he found could allow him to create mini wormholes. At least that would be distinct from just another flying guy in a suit. Plus with this being a team show it would be a transportation means for the whole group.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

It's interesting that they've mentioned Victor Garber but not Robbie Amell. Perhaps Firestorm's two halves in the spinoff will be Martin Stein and Jason Rusch?
Old February 28 2015, 01:50 AM   #6
JD
Admiral

I love the idea of a team up show, but that is a really weird combination of characters. But, I did have idea, what if instead of a team up show it's an anthology type thing. That could explain why we only have half of Firestorm, a bad guy, and a dead girl.
Old February 28 2015, 02:22 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

I don't know if there's a market for an anthology series these days, when everything seems to be geared toward serialization.

I think the combination is just weird if you compare it to the comics. But the shows are their own entities, and actors can bring characters to life in unexpected ways, or prove disappointing. It's logical that Berlanti and The CW would be focused more on which actors and characters are most likely to be able to carry a show, rather than which characters might have teamed up in the comics. It's no weirder than Marvel building a show around Agent Coulson, a character who never even existed in the comics (until recently).

In other words, what's driving this isn't a desire to do a show about Martin Stein, the Atom, Captain Cold, and Zombie Sarah Lance; it's a desire to do a show headlined by Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Wentworth Miller, and Caity Lotz, all actors who are proven draws. Comics precedent and continuity are secondary to that.
Old February 28 2015, 02:25 AM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'm with you all. Love the idea of a pseudo league show, but the casting seems odd. I'm going to go with the assumption that it's meant to be a prequel, but then having Routh doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm still holding out for a Lotz, Fukushima, De Gouw series.
Old February 28 2015, 02:38 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

^Rila Fukushima has just been signed to co-star in an NBC pilot, so if that goes to series, we probably won't be seeing any more of Katana in the Berlantiverse.

As for Lotz, it seems to me that the reports are just about possibilities The CW and Berlanti are talking about, rather than a solid series premise. I mean, there isn't even a name for it yet. Maybe they're just at the point where the execs are asking, "Hey, we liked Caity, is there a way you could give her a spinoff?" Whereupon the producers are left with trying to explain that her character is dead, and/or trying to figure out a way to resurrect her.

And let's remember that we're in a comic-book universe, so resurrections are always an option. It occurs to me that The Flash has established the reality of time travel. And it could always turn out that the Sarah who died was a clone.
Old February 28 2015, 02:52 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

Well, we also kind of got confirmation that Ra's is immortal on this week's Arrow, and I think it was Steven Amell who said we've seen a Lazarus Pool, so they could always go that route with Sara. I believe Jason Todd was already dead when he was brought back, so if we go by the comics, Lazarus Pools can revive people who are already dead.
Old February 28 2015, 03:06 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Well, we also kind of got confirmation that Ra's is immortal on this week's Arrow, and I think it was Steven Amell who said we've seen a Lazarus Pool, so they could always go that route with Sara. I believe Jason Todd was already dead when he was brought back, so if we go by the comics, Lazarus Pools can revive people who are already dead.
Actually, no -- Jason's resurrection happened in a much more insane way than that. In the Infinite Crisis event, DC did a semi-reboot of their continuity in an infamously stupid way; Superboy-Prime, an alternate-reality character who'd been trapped in a pocket universe since Crisis on Infinite Earths had erased his home reality, escaped by "punching the walls of reality," which somehow caused time to be rewritten, which somehow caused Jason Todd to have spontaneously woken up in his grave shortly after his burial, emerging with no memory. Talia later used the Lazarus Pit to restore Jason's health and memory.

Still, looking over the Wikipedia article, I see there are instances where the Pits have been used to resurrect people who've been dead for some time -- which I think is exaggerating their power, since originally they only worked on someone on the brink of death. That's why I resisted suggesting the Lazarus Pit as a way of reviving Sarah, since Team Arrow had her corpse in their possession for a few days, I think, before burying her.
Old February 28 2015, 03:13 AM   #12
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Since this is from the Arrow team, maybe the show will feature flashbacks and Lotz could play Sara in a time period before she resurfaced in Starling City.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't know if there's a market for an anthology series these days, when everything seems to be geared toward serialization.

I think the combination is just weird if you compare it to the comics. But the shows are their own entities, and actors can bring characters to life in unexpected ways, or prove disappointing. It's logical that Berlanti and The CW would be focused more on which actors and characters are most likely to be able to carry a show, rather than which characters might have teamed up in the comics. It's no weirder than Marvel building a show around Agent Coulson, a character who never even existed in the comics (until recently).

In other words, what's driving this isn't a desire to do a show about Martin Stein, the Atom, Captain Cold, and Zombie Sarah Lance; it's a desire to do a show headlined by Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Wentworth Miller, and Caity Lotz, all actors who are proven draws. Comics precedent and continuity are secondary to that.

I think the Anthology would make a lot of sense.

While serialization is the new hip thing...i can see it's life span on a massive scale being burned out...or at least appetite for something "new", and anthology would be it.

Hopefully they've learned from Metal Hurlant, and the Twilight Zone revivials...that good writing is needed, as well as good actors (which they have)

They can be more creative (i.e. not having to tie the stories together, unless they really want to), stars have freedom to do other work, and they can see which characters are really buzzworthy, and which aren't. So for Dead Canary, they might have seen how she's more well liked that Laurel...so they plan a few shows about her (i.e. her Canary past at year 3, 4 or 5 of Oliver's disappearance, and plant some seeds that Laurel can take over later.

This would also be a great opportunity to showcase characters that have appeared briefly in these & the Supergirl show.

My only issue is that i starting to get oversaturated with genre shows...but if this is a between-season filler, and/or Netflix bait (i.e. viewers can choose to watch either 1 episode, or a bunch)...that might be pretty smart. An anthology would be perfect to fit in between crazy times (like the holidays), so if they miss an episode of "Brave and the Bold" or whatever they call it (maybe "Outsiders", but not as a team, at least at first), no biggie. People won't be confused as much as disappointed.

If they get really desparate, they can always do a Prison break reunion...but with the actors exchanging roles. A whole season of Super Villain Prison Break! (though i think an Arrow-Flash crossover, with the Prison Break reunion is what they'll go for -- and create huge ratings and bigger buzz)
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2015, 03:49 PM   #14
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

But if the pit could revive Sara, don't you think Nyssa would have done so already?

The mere fact we do not see Nyssa as a potential character on this show suggests to me Caity will be playing someone else.

I really like the actress, but I love the Black Canary and her father and her relationships with Oliver, Felicity, Cyn, and Nyssa.
Old March 1 2015, 05:05 AM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

It's definitely an interesting idea, although the thing that has me most curious is who these three other "major DC Comics characters who've never appeared in a TV series" might be. That obviously rules out Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, so I guess that just leaves Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and Martian Manhunter?

Seems like most of the other major ones have already appeared at one time or another on Smallville, Superboy or some other series...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote