Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread I thought I'd start one up. This is for all major Heroic Age topics but mainly is an Avengers discussion thread. I read Avengers#1 last week and thought it was great. Interesting new arc with the "kids" and the time traveling along with the reveal of the Hulk in the final panel. Who's daughter was that supposed to be though standing to him? For some reason I want to say Peter and Jessica's (Drew) but that is just my own personal guess. It could be also Hawkeye and Mockingbird's daughter too from the attitude.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 07:40 PM   #2
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Loved the kid's response when one of his friend said the guy they killed talked too much. "Really? Wasn't even listening."

I liked Avengers but I have to admit I liked Secret Avengers and Thunderbolts better.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The kids, of course, are the Next Avengers, previously seen in their own direct-to-DVD animated movie. This is their first appearance in a comic.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 31 2010 at 08:44 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I thought they looked familiar but Kang also said they were THE Avengers kids and I think Peter had a line like "our kids?" anyways I think it was meant to be the Young Avengers or whatever too. Also I agree on "Secret Avengers" i loved every single panel of Secret Avengers!

Old May 31 2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^I think that the girl standing behind the Hulk at the end of the issue is called Spider-Girl (but obviously not May-Day), who was not in the movie. She's probably Pete's kid (with Felicia Hardy?). She's seen on the cover of issue 3 hanging from a web.

I also loved Secret Avengers #1. I think that the Avengers franchise as a whole in the best place it's been in years.
Old May 31 2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Okay that does make sense...I'm buying both of these arcs when they're out in hardcover.

Old May 31 2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I think that it's interesting that they are picking up plot points from an original movie and continuing it's story, making the movie "canon". Outside of just bringing in original-to-TV characters like Firestar or Harley Quinn, I think this is the first time I've seen it done.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 31 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I was thinking about of the Secret Avengers and how it doesn't really have any of the classic Avengers elements, but manages to echo them all in an "almost-but-not-quite" kind of way. You have Steve Rogers, but not Captain America, you have an Iron Man but not Tony Stark, and you have an Asgardian Warrior, but not Thor. For that matter, there's even an Ant-Man that's not Pym.

It seems like there was a real effort to make SA a radically different book than Avengers (undercover ops, espionage, pre-emptive strikes), yet still have a familiar Avengers "feel" to it. Having classic characters like Beast and Black Widow certainly help in that regard as well. I think a cross-over with Mockingbird's WCA in the Hawkeye and Mockingbird book would be a natural.
Old June 1 2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Agreed on your points and I'm pretty sure that was the intention behind Secret Avengers...an espionage black ops team willing to deal with the threats before they happen or that haven't revealed themselves to the Avengers. Indeed the first page and Steve's narration on the first couple of pages explains the concept of the book perfectly. I'm really stoked for the rest of SA.

Old June 1 2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm kind of glad that Steve Rogers isn't going to be Cap again. It's about time that a character that died, was replaced by another character, didn't just go right back into the old role, leaving the new guy to either come up with a new ID or retire or die.

Plus the new suit's kinda cool actually. I'm still thinking that Steve will be running SHIELD soon though. By the way... whatever happened to SHIELD/HAMMER anyway? Was it just entirely dissolved or what?
Old June 2 2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Here's a quick unlettered preview of Avengers #2. It looks like Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy/Captain Marvel is the final member alluded to last issue.
Old June 3 2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Regarding HAMMER I think it was dissolved when President Obama appointed Steve "America's Top Cop" I took that to imply that Rogers would assume the Directorship of SHIELD probably after his little mini-series that Brubaker has him in. Speaking of SHIELD Directors, was that a Hydra Nick Fury at the end of "Secret Avengers"? Nor-Var does indeed seem like the final Avengers recruit. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Old June 3 2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D. supposed to be UN/International?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

It was never made clear.

Nick Fury on separate occasions was made accountable to both the UN Security Council and to the White House.

It probably makes more sense for it to be a NATO taskforce.
Old June 4 2010, 12:25 AM   #15
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Originally it was UN, then after it was reformed later they made it US exclusive.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote