RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,223
Posts: 5,438,030
Members: 24,957
Currently online: 530
Newest member: zanejc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 2 2010, 07:49 AM   #31
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

O look. It's a mirror.

ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 09:51 AM   #32
Flavius
Vice Admiral
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Location: Flavius in Eternal Spring
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

ST-One wrote: View Post
Did any of you write these posts on your iPad?
The virtual keyboard was a concern because of the promise of real usability, and it works well enough (not great) in landscape mode. The auto correction facility is quite clever. So, the aforementioned post was not written on the iPad, but many others are, on this and other sites.
__________________
My Blog at Tumblr.com
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 10:27 AM   #33
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

Flavius wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
Did any of you write these posts on your iPad?
The virtual keyboard was a concern because of the promise of real usability, and it works well enough (not great) in landscape mode. The auto correction facility is quite clever. So, the aforementioned post was not written on the iPad, but many others are, on this and other sites.
Why didn't you write it on the iPad?

I mean, if laptops 'stink' and the iPad 'doesn't stink', I'm sure it must be a blast to always use it post here with it.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 02:30 PM   #34
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

Arrqh wrote: View Post
For reading books where color isn't required, eInk still is the superior screen technology over LCD. I'm not really sure how anyone could dispute that.
Refresh rate. Absolutely terribly on eink - better hope you don't ever want to check something from a few pages back, because it'll take you a few minutes to find it.

(There's also the size; I first read ebooks on my PDA which I used as my music player, and now I read them on my iPod Touch. There's no pocket-sized eink reader that I'm aware of, even if I was willing to carry around a third device in my pocket.)
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 07:55 PM   #35
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

ATimson wrote: View Post
Arrqh wrote: View Post
For reading books where color isn't required, eInk still is the superior screen technology over LCD. I'm not really sure how anyone could dispute that.
Refresh rate. Absolutely terribly on eink - better hope you don't ever want to check something from a few pages back, because it'll take you a few minutes to find it.
Not with the Kindle.

ATimson wrote: View Post
(There's also the size; I first read ebooks on my PDA which I used as my music player, and now I read them on my iPod Touch. There's no pocket-sized eink reader that I'm aware of, even if I was willing to carry around a third device in my pocket.)
Who wants a pocket-sized ebook reader anyway?
Personally I'd much rather like to read on a book-sized device than squint at the tiny display of something like a PDA.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 12:31 AM   #36
Flavius
Vice Admiral
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Location: Flavius in Eternal Spring
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

ST-One wrote: View Post
Why didn't you write it on the iPad?
Leute wie Du, lieber Landsmann, sind schon eine Zierde!
__________________
My Blog at Tumblr.com
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 12:36 AM   #37
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

Flavius wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
Why didn't you write it on the iPad?
Leute wie Du, lieber Landsmann, sind schon eine Zierde!
Sorry for getting the way of your iLove...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 12:44 AM   #38
Flavius
Vice Admiral
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Location: Flavius in Eternal Spring
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

ST-One wrote: View Post
Flavius wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
Why didn't you write it on the iPad?
Leute wie Du, lieber Landsmann, sind schon eine Zierde!
Sorry for getting the way of your iLove...
Is that supposed to be English? Appel Schnaps zurueck in den Kuehlschrank, marsch, marsch!

__________________
My Blog at Tumblr.com
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 06:57 AM   #39
BigFoot
Admiral
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Location: Slovenia (EU)
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

^ I'm glad I know enough German to understand that.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 06:58 AM   #40
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

Flavius wrote: View Post
No kidding.

I just finished playing my favorite (flash-based) face book game on my iPad while walking around the house. Before that I went to hulu.com and watched the trailer of Prince of Persia. On the iPad.

Here's how you do it. Go to the app store and buy 'Air Display'. Once the app has loaded follow the instructions on the screen and install one other piece of software on your computer. Restart and configure your iPad as a second or third display for your computer.

Drag your browser with the facebook flash game session to your iPad display. Enjoy 'touching' the game.

Limitations: high quality flash based video is more like a slide show. The movie trailer ran fine.-
Cool work around! If only it worked with windows and my ipod touch.
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ipad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.