Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the NFL's decision?
Yes - the better team will win no matter what the weather is like 16 88.89%
No - the championship shoudl always be played in optimum conditions 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2010, 08:48 PM   #31
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: 2014 superbowl goes to NJ!!!!

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Although I just checked, and under current regulations, Chicago wouldn't be allowed to host a Super Bowl -- the NFL requires a minimum capacity of 75,000, and Soldier Field seats somewhere in the low 60,000 range (62k?).
I don't understand why the stadiums in the NFL are so small (relative to the public interest) anyway, wouldn't the more popular teams at least - Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, etc. - be able to sell out 150K arenas too?
That's a good point. And I don't have an answer for you there.

Gillette Stadium (where the Patriots play) has a capacity of about 68,000 I think, and tickets are tough to come by. They could sell out wayyy more seats.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 02:58 PM   #32
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 03:40 PM   #33
clint g
Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Although I just checked, and under current regulations, Chicago wouldn't be allowed to host a Super Bowl -- the NFL requires a minimum capacity of 75,000, and Soldier Field seats somewhere in the low 60,000 range (62k?).
I don't understand why the stadiums in the NFL are so small (relative to the public interest) anyway, wouldn't the more popular teams at least - Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, etc. - be able to sell out 150K arenas too?

Gillette Stadium (where the Patriots play) has a capacity of about 68,000 I think, and tickets are tough to come by. They could sell out wayyy more seats.
I think they do it so they can charge a premium and hype up the game. If tickets were easy to get they start to lose their value
Old May 28 2010, 04:43 PM   #34
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

But if you had 100,000 seats for a popular team, they'd still sell out every week. Even in lean years, certain teams still pack the house. The Jets traditionally suck but always sell out.
Old May 30 2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post

I think they do it so they can charge a premium and hype up the game. If tickets were easy to get they start to lose their value
Yeah, if they played in a huge stadium, they'd almost have to charge less (at least for some seats). By keeping a sort of artificial shortage going, they can justify charging the big bucks.

And even some of the most successful teams go through periods where they have a hard time selling out. Avoiding a blackout with a 100,000+ stadium might be difficult.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 08:21 AM   #36
drychlick
Captain

VERY bad idea the superbowl is specal and need to be play in weam weather! love dr
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 09:03 PM   #37
Scout101
Admiral

Why is it special, though? More specifically, why should it be played in artificial conditions (dome, or warm weather only) when most of the games are played outdoors, in cold conditions? The championship game should at least moderately resemble the conditions of the rest of the season, no?

Baseball is always screwy like this, too, although just because of the calendar, not artifically selecting warm places to play. You play 6 months of baseball in warm conditions, and then play the championship games in 30 degree weather!
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 09:11 PM   #38
clint g
Admiral

Yeah, I always felt like they should start the baseball season a month earlier. At least this way, the world series would have a bit warmer weather
Old June 17 2010, 03:51 AM   #39
Caligula
Vice Admiral

I'd like to hear what people think the odds are of either the Giants or the Jets actually playing in that Super Bowl since no city, in the year that it hosts, has ever gotten its team into the Super Bowl.

Which, if we stay true to form through the 2010 season, means that Dallas will be shit out of luck.... and that's just fine by me.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 04:50 PM   #40
Scout101
Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
Yeah, I always felt like they should start the baseball season a month earlier. At least this way, the world series would have a bit warmer weather
Problem with that is that games are already at risk of snow-outs in early April, putting them in March would guarantee it. Never made sense that they don't intentionally rig the schedule so that all of the early April games are played in the southern states, or out west, or at least in domes. Let the northern teams play on the road the first 2 weeks of the season...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 05:52 PM   #41
Smiley
Rear Admiral

For football, I'm happy to see that non-domed northern stadiums are being considered. All of the teams have played in those conditions many times, so it's not a big change for the players. If actual blizzard conditions occur, then the SB becomes a logistical nightmare, but a little light snow is not a bad thing.

Regarding baseball weather, I've always wondered why there are so many games in the season to begin with. Would anyone have serious issues if the season (including the World Series) only ran through September? There would still be more than enough time for every team to play each team in their league at home and on the road. Some series would be shorter, but you'd still see the same matchups.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 07:04 PM   #42
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

How is chilly baseball in October any different than chilly baseball in October?
Old June 18 2010, 02:03 AM   #43
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Smiley wrote: View Post
If actual blizzard conditions occur, then the SB becomes a logistical nightmare, but a little light snow is not a bad thing.
Speaking of which, I wonder how long it will be before we get one in Green Bay, Wisconsin?
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 02:14 AM   #44
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Football is meant to be played in the cold. And if New Jersey can get a Superbowl then Denver has a chance.
A funny thing is a few years back when the game was in Miami, Denver had clear skies and higher temps that day.

If actual blizzard conditions occur, then the SB becomes a logistical nightmare, but a little light snow is not a bad thing.
Not significanly more than any other game. Especially if you consider play off games often see quite a bit of snow.
Old June 18 2010, 03:59 AM   #45
clint g
Admiral

For football, I'm happy to see that non-domed northern stadiums are being considered. All of the teams have played in those conditions many times, so it's not a big change for the players. If actual blizzard conditions occur, then the SB becomes a logistical nightmare, but a little light snow is not a bad thing.

Regarding baseball weather, I've always wondered why there are so many games in the season to begin with. Would anyone have serious issues if the season (including the World Series) only ran through September? There would still be more than enough time for every team to play each team in their league at home and on the road. Some series would be shorter, but you'd still see the same matchups.
The season actually used to be shorter but with more games comes more money.