Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 26 2010, 06:34 AM   #31
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: 'Mass Effect' scifi videogame In Film development deal

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
For example, it's probably why JJ didn't want to invoke the 60s Trek in any real meaningful way because seeing Kirk pull out a communicator the size of a brick or watching Sulu push giant square illuminated blocks on his screen-less console would have made it all seem like a big joke.
Except Abrams did invoke the 60s Trek all over the place. The visual and auditory design of the movie took 60's Trek and combined it with a dollup of retro futurism. Which isn't so far off from ME, which takes 80's scifi and does the same. If the movie looks and sounds like the games, then it isn't a risk at all because it's a very effective and distinctive art direction. The fact that it works in the games pretty much proves it. From a visual design perspective, television and games are close enough that if something works in one it'll work in the other.
Old May 26 2010, 07:10 AM   #32
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Hrm, maybe it's my memory but in my mind the Enterprise looked neo-modern and I really didn't notice any references to 60s futurism.

And certainly visual design can translate over. I suppose it's just general skepticism/pessimism on my part more than anything else.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the Lost in Space reboot from several years ago and I don't remember that looking good at all.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 09:26 AM   #33
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

The Mass Effect universe would work well for a movie. I hope it's an orginal story that doesn't include Commander Shepard. Adapting a 20-30 hour game into a movie is never going to work, and the Mass Effect universe is large enough and rich enough to support an original story and characters.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 01:49 PM   #34
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I'm not a big gamer, but having played both Mass Effects, I think it's one of my favourite sci-fi "franchises". If it was a TV series, for me it would be in my top 3 shows easily.

Not sure about a movie though, for various reasons:-
1. I'm afraid they'd treat it like any other video game adaption.
2. There seems to be just too much to squash into a movie. Without any filler stories, Mass Effect 1 would be enough to do 13 episodes easily for a TV series.
3. I get the feeling EA or whoever was involved with this decision, aren't remotely bothered about the quality of the resultant movie.

Anyway, fingers crossed it isn't a total screw up.

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
The only exceptions are when you take the universe and tell a different story.
No, those suck too. In fact, those are the ones that suck the most.

Heck, if you read the summary for the King of Fighters movie, you'd think it was Mortal Kombat.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 02:05 PM   #35
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Blamo wrote: View Post
3. I get the feeling EA or whoever was involved with this decision, aren't remotely bothered about the quality of the resultant movie.
Bioware does care, since they picked a studio that has put out well regarded movies for other franchises. However, having heard mixed things about Avi Arad, I'm not sure having him on the project is a good idea.
Old May 26 2010, 02:26 PM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: 'Mass Effect' as TV?

I'm not a big gamer, but having played both Mass Effects, I think it's one of my favourite sci-fi "franchises". If it was a TV series, for me it would be in my top 3 shows easily.

Not sure about a movie though, for various reasons:-
1. I'm afraid they'd treat it like any other video game adaption.
2. There seems to be just too much to squash into a movie.
I agree
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
This movie screams of another scifi-action movie Starship Troopers (1997) to me though... as well as maybe Aliens (1986) with the Space Marines.
Hmm Blamo as you said Mass Effect as a TV series. I like it. It would allow the whole Trek-type aspect of a war/constant enemy [Romulan/Klingons from TOS] in the background while developing the characters

Sheep wrote: View Post
Mass Effect does a better job being Star Trek than anything Star Trek has put on the screen in more than a decade.
I'm not sure how they could do it for TV without loads of CGI=$$ unless they went all CGI animation ala Star Wars:The Clone Wars CGI animated series.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 07:33 PM   #37
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by retro, but maybe it's just the fact that I'm not seeing it.
The design ethos of ME has a definite 80's scifi flare to it. IMO, it gives it just enough visual uniqueness without going overboard and I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't translate to film.
With the sole exception of the "erector set" ground vehicles, I don't see it either. Can you provide some examples?

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 07:48 PM   #38
Blamo
Fleet Captain

MarianLH wrote: View Post
Can you provide some examples?

Marian
It's more of the visual style you see in sci-fi movies in the 80's like Blade Runner and Empire Strikes Back - very cyberpunkish. Technology is very over the top, with a feeling it's out of control, bits and bobs added more for artistic purposes then any possible fictional use, huge towering "man"-made structures etc etc.

They even do OCP style jokes in the second game via the ads.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 04:06 PM   #39
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Mass Effect does a better job being Star Trek than anything Star Trek has put on the screen in more than a decade.
When you look at this
Mass Effect 2: opening scene eath of Shepard it it does feel like Trek (with BSG shakycam).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSysC...layer_embedded
around 3 minutes in.
Great sound design at 5:30 when the airlock opens!

and
Mass Effect 2 The First 12 Minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFajRU4xAVI&feature=fvw
We sit with BioWare producer Adrien Cho down for a sneak peek at some selected highlights around the interior of the Normandy 2.
wow. watching in 720p, love the lighting and camera framing!

this Gamespot video review has some great in-game stuff
Mass Effect 2 Video Review by GameSpot
check out the 4:55 the collectors, creepy-robot-locust things. That makeup just could not be done in Star Trek evne though it looks like a biped and could be attempted but too many hours in the makeup chair...

These 3 videos really show how this could be a feature film as far as universe and type of film.
Old May 27 2010, 04:55 PM   #40
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorite games. I am not sure how to feel about a movie adaptation though. ME takes place in a really cool science fiction universe, and if it is put on the big screen I would want it to be done faithfully to the game.

I still think we have yet to see a truly good film adaptation of a video game. Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider where okay popcorn entertainment. I had high hopes for Silent Hill, being a fan of the games. The SH film captured the atmosphere and feel of the games, but a poor script resulted in a movie that I thought was mediocre.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 06:12 PM   #41
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

Can you provide some examples?

Marian
It's more of the visual style you see in sci-fi movies in the 80's like Blade Runner and Empire Strikes Back - very cyberpunkish. Technology is very over the top, with a feeling it's out of control, bits and bobs added more for artistic purposes then any possible fictional use, huge towering "man"-made structures etc etc.
I don't see anything of Blade Runner in Mass Effect, and none of the rest of that is unique to the 80s. Maybe you see the 80s because you aren't as familiar with other eras? Cloud City, for instance, was straight-up Art Deco, not something new.

Verhoeven-style ads would be an example of something stylisticly 80s, like the "erector-set" vehicles. Unfortunately I haven't been able to scrounge up the $$$ for part 2 yet. But that's still only two exceptions, not a rule.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 06:28 PM   #42
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I don't see anything of Blade Runner in Mass Effect, and none of the rest of that is unique to the 80s.
I'm not really sure how you could look at, say, Omega and not see Blade Runner to be honest. Or for another take on it, Illium. The soundtrack especially of the first game takes a lot of cues from the synthetic stuff that was popular in the 80s, notably Blade Runner and Total Recall.

You can also see here in an interview with the art director of ME 1 and 2, where some of the artist influences are listed... including Syd Mead, who's scifi design work includes Blade Runner, 2010 and Aliens. And the art director himself describes the look as "80's scifi".
Old May 27 2010, 08:01 PM   #43
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: 'Mass Effect' space battles

I'd say the space battles in the trailer of
Jumpgate Evolution PC Trailer - Enter the Fray
rival Trek space battles as pretty epic.
Old May 31 2010, 02:29 AM   #44
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

I would LOVE for there to be a Star Trek game that copies the formula of the Mass Effect games. Just replace the Normandy with a Federation ship and come up with an epic story set in the Trek universe. Maybe throw in some ship-to-ship combat.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:50 AM   #45
Steven
Admiral

I would look forward to seeing a Mass Effect movie if they did it right and I suspect that the guys at Bioware would make sure that it would be done right.

Like others have said though, I wouldn't want to see an adaptation of the games. Instead, I'd like to see the beginnings of humanity's reach into the stars. They could start off by finding the Prothean ruins on Mars and the Sol system mass relay. Then have the bulk of the film about the First Contact war and to end it, show the first humans arriving on the Citadel.

They have to include the Citadel at some point. If only so we could see it on the big screen.

Brandonv wrote: View Post
I would LOVE for there to be a Star Trek game that copies the formula of the Mass Effect games. Just replace the Normandy with a Federation ship and come up with an epic story set in the Trek universe. Maybe throw in some ship-to-ship combat.
"A Final Unity" is one of the best Trek games I've played (not that there's many to choose from sadly ), though it doesn't have much in common with Mass Effect.