Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 24 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
tkron
Fleet Captain

Facebook CEO admits he messed up.

Says they will do better with privacy issues. What do you think?

Here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/2...ch_gadg_tc2204
tkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Re: Facebook CEO admits he messed up.

I wish that Facebook's errors began and ended with "missing the mark" on their Privacy Controls.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...dvertisers.ars
Old May 24 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Rii
Rear Admiral

I don't use Facebook so I'm not really 'in the loop' with such things, but isn't the founder of the site on record as laughing at his users for trusting him with so much of their data? Not exactly something which inspires confidence.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

People in general sometimes turn off their brain when going online.

How many blogs, social sites and the like have you seen where people post the most intimate, embarrasing and private stuff for everybody to see and read and not think twice of it.

HR people nowadays routinely use the net to check on applicants and see who they really are and sometimes they see pictures of the person stonecold drunk amidst a gangbang and such.. try getting a good job after exposing yourself like that.

Personally i don't get social sites like Facebook, myspace etc.. i have all the contact info for my friends and if they want i'll tell them how my days ways.. no need telling strange people that i couldn't take a dump in two days.
Old May 24 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I don't know about the current Facebook issues, but seriously, just use common sense and don't put private stuff out there in the public like that. If you don't want someone to know something or see something about you, or gain important info, then don't put it on the Internet.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 04:46 AM   #6
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
I don't use Facebook so I'm not really 'in the loop' with such things, but isn't the founder of the site on record as laughing at his users for trusting him with so much of their data? Not exactly something which inspires confidence.
That's because he's a 20-something year old, beady-eyed, billionaire DOUCHE-BAG that everyone seems to hate once they meet him. He's a fucking slime ball. A woman once told him that he'd go through life thinking women wouldn't talk to him because he was a rich geek, when in reality it would be "because he was an asshole".
Old May 25 2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Rek
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rek

I'm not angry at facebook or any place. If you don't want people to get your info just don't put it online - anywhere online.
Rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 06:05 PM   #8
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

My account was suspended because they claimed my email wasn't valid. I re-entered it, and they claimed the same thing.

Oh well. I only signed on to that stupid site because my friends want me to.

Screw them.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
John Picard
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
People in general sometimes turn off their brain when going online.

How many blogs, social sites and the like have you seen where people post the most intimate, embarrasing and private stuff for everybody to see and read and not think twice of it.

HR people nowadays routinely use the net to check on applicants and see who they really are and sometimes they see pictures of the person stone cold drunk amidst a gangbang and such.. try getting a good job after exposing yourself like that.

Personally i don't get social sites like Facebook, myspace etc.. i have all the contact info for my friends and if they want i'll tell them how my days ways.. no need telling strange people that i couldn't take a dump in two days.
And those same people will bitch and whine that their privacy is being invaded. Um, right. What you're doing is the equivalent of leaving the front door to your house open so that people can just walk in and look around.

RandyS wrote: View Post
My account was suspended because they claimed my email wasn't valid. I re-entered it, and they claimed the same thing.

Screw them.
I've had a few friends send me invites, but I abhor social networking. I've been viewed as paranoid and "out of it" and yet more and more has come out about what these companies are doing with people's personal information.

No thanks.
Old May 26 2010, 06:35 PM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

John Picard wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

Screw them.
I've had a few friends send me invites, but I abhor social networking. I've been viewed as paranoid and "out of it" and yet more and more has come out about what these companies are doing with people's personal information.

No thanks.
Really? My friends said the same thing about me. I don't see the point anyway, since all three of the friends who invited me live in the same city and we can visit in person whenever we want.

Plus, there's always the phone, or email.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I have a Facebook but the privacy options are about as locked-down as I can get them. I also post very little to it. I sure as hell would never post anything potentially embarrassing, and I would instantly de-friend anyone who posted anything embarrassing or untrue about me.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote