RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 537
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 20 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

History VIA movies...

I was in an interesting conversation with my daughter and a couple of her friends. Its clear to me, that for whatever reason, History, be it world or American (I live in America) just isn't that hip with kids; but movies are.

I wonder if someone could pick a bunch of movies, with leanings not so left or right, in the middle, that could possibly teach these kids history, since its obvious teachers/books are not.

There have been enough movies about slavery, holocaust, world wars, ancient wars, recent wars, people, events..ect....I think it could work.

What do you think? History via movies; good idea? Or just a science fiction dream

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: History VIA movies...

sit them down with Saving Private Ryan and The Longest Day. that should take care of WWII.

LOL!!!

seriously, you should show them those two, as well as The Dambusters, The Battle of Britain and Tora! Tora! Tora! for coverage of WW2. Black Hawk Down for the mess in Somalia. The Green Berets for Vietnam, followed by The Deer Hunter...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Hermiod
Admiral

Take a note from my sister the historian - you really do not want to teach kids history with movies.

For instance, Braveheart ? Wrongest movie in the history of wrong. As one historian said - Braveheart couldn't be more inaccurate if they'd inserted a plasticine dog in to the film and called it William Wallace and Gromit.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 07:36 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Oh, I agree..those are all great movies that I think might 'get into their brains' better than books. My daughter still remembers watching Shindlers List when she was a kid. With a generation being raised on tvs, handheld devices, I think its only natural to think ahead. Yes, we all love books, and reading is important. But if they're not doing it, not reading, then we need to find another way to educate them.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

At best a movie can spark an interest in the events that inspired it. Mostly people are there for entertaiment not education.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

A Bridge Too Far. Pretty much required viewing, plus a damned good movie. Possibly one of the greatest casts.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Jeremiah Johnson. I got it in American History twenty-(mrrph) years ago.
The Andersonville Trials
maybe Chaplin or De-Lovely
The Longest Day

But most films are so off base....

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 10:10 PM   #8
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Ice Cold in Alex, Heroes of Telemark, Dambusters, and The Colditz Story are recommended by my husband, who has a special interest in WWII, and specifically the Battle of Britain. For light, comedic but accurate British history there are a lot of Horrible Histories clips on YouTube. This series is based on the books of the same name and they have helped a lot of kids in the UK to develop an interest in history.
Old May 20 2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

There's a great old book, THE HOLLYWOOD HISTORY OF THE WORLD, which covers the whole genre of historical movies, rating them for accuracy. Maybe you can track down a used copy.

And, yeah, none of them will be totally accurate, but they might spark an interest to learn more.

More examples:

1776 (the musical)

INHERIT THE WIND (the 1925 Monkey Trial)

GRAPES OF WRATH (the Great Depression)

SHOGUN (Japanese history)

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (the Middle East)

THE LAST EMPEROR (China)

GHANDI (India)

EVITA (Argentina and fascism)

REDS (the Russian Revolution)

Hope this helps!
Old May 20 2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Marten
Captain

John Adams?
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:21 PM   #11
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^That was my thought. No, not technically a movie, but the "John Adams" mini-series would be a great thing for high schoolers to watch. I think it would definitely give them a feel for the time, and maybe spark an interest in American history.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:21 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Teaching history with movies is the worst thing you can do.

Documentaries are better, and even them are way too often very incorrect.

The trick is to get kids to be interested in reading books. Everyone can give up and just put them in front of the TV, but that's not good for either side.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:54 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

More suggestions:

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

BECKETT.

CROMWELL.
Old May 21 2010, 12:41 AM   #14
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

There's a lot of inaccurate "historical" movies out there. I was recently watching the Young Guns DVD, which includes a documentary about the life of Billy the Kid that directly contradicts a lot of stuff in the movie. Examples:

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
At best a movie can spark an interest in the events that inspired it.
Agreed. I can think of very few movies that would provide anything remotely close to accurate historical information or appropriately in-depth analysis of the events that occur. At best, there are some bio-pics that might provide some insight into the personal stories of various historical figures. The two of those I would recommend:

HBO's John Adams mini-series (Although I never bothered to watch the final episode, after Adams left political office.)

Downfall, a very interesting German movie about the last days in the life of Adolf Hitler, leading up to his suicide. Made famous by the endless series of YouTube parodies that take one of Hitler's longer rants from the film and changes the subtitles so that he is now bitching about some random pop culture thing, like getting banned from X-Box Live, changing the ending of the Watchmen movie, or Jay Leno re-replacing Conan O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show.
Old May 21 2010, 01:09 AM   #15
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'd also recommend the Hitler: Rise of Evil miniseries, which offers an interesting look at how Hitler grew to power, starring Robert Carlyle.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote