Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 25 2010, 08:26 PM   #16
TerokNor
Captain

Re: Questions for Londoners

How is that loud, alternative market still called? On Saturday (?) Camden Market or such? I found that interresting as well... especially after all the normal sightseeing and museums its a bit varity and another side of London.

TerokNor
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 09:21 PM   #17
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Camden is full of emo kids

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 09:23 PM   #18
TerokNor
Captain

What are emo kids?

TerokNor
Old May 25 2010, 09:25 PM   #19
captcalhoun
Admiral

kids who are emo
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 09:27 PM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

clint g wrote: View Post
NOTHING pisses me of more than when tourists block the damn escalator
Agreed. And I say this *as* a tourist.

I actually have my own question for Londoners. In preparation for when I visit my British relatives, I only have one issue: I understand that, on the Tube, you have to swipe your Oystercard when you enter *and* when you leave a station. Does this happen at *all* stations? Or just some? If the latter, how do you know to which stations this rule applies?

Also, is "Oyster" a funny name for a farecard, or what?
Old May 25 2010, 09:36 PM   #21
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

TerokNor wrote: View Post
How is that loud, alternative market still called? On Saturday (?) Camden Market or such? I found that interresting as well... especially after all the normal sightseeing and museums its a bit varity and another side of London.

TerokNor
Camden Town. The problem is the tents are slowly being bought up and replaced by corporate stores, from what I've heard (I was there a few years ago before that fire and that's at least what people told me).

MLB, as for using oyster cards when you leave, most places will have gates that won't open until you use your card. That makes it pretty convenient to figure which is which. The only confusing one is the DLR. I'm honestly not sure what the rule is for that thing, since there aren't any doors and the thing you have to use wasn't always obvious for a tourist like me. But, unless you're planning on seeing the Docklands Museum (which is pretty cool) or Canary Wharf, I don't think there's any reason to worry about that.

Last edited by Alidar Jarok; May 26 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 09:59 PM   #22
TerokNor
Captain

Oh, well I was there 10 years ago.... so it might have changed.
Well... I just looked emo up myself, so something with punk style. *shrug* Yeah..like I said alternative. Still interessting to watch the going ons and the people there...at least 10 years ago.

TerokNor
Old May 25 2010, 10:02 PM   #23
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
NOTHING pisses me of more than when tourists block the damn escalator
Agreed. And I say this *as* a tourist.

I actually have my own question for Londoners. In preparation for when I visit my British relatives, I only have one issue: I understand that, on the Tube, you have to swipe your Oystercard when you enter *and* when you leave a station. Does this happen at *all* stations? Or just some? If the latter, how do you know to which stations this rule applies?

Also, is "Oyster" a funny name for a farecard, or what?
MLB, though I am no longer a Londoner, I was until 6 months ago.

On the Tube, as mentioned, the majority of the time the gates won't open unless you swipe the Oyster card. On the Docklands Light Rail, the swipe in/out machines are by the stairs to the entrance/exit of the stations; the gates apply to some of those as well. On the London Overground, gates and swipe in/out machines are the norm at all stations.

The Oyster is so named because of the phrase "the world is your oyster," or in this case, city.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 10:22 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

So you will always know if you have to swipe to get out, because then you will have to go thru a gate? No gate, no swipe? Sounds ok.
Old May 25 2010, 10:32 PM   #25
StolenThunder
Poster

You still have to touch your card to a reader even if you are not passing through a closed gate, as there are some stations that don't have gates/the gates are fixed open on quiet days. That's the case for the Underground and light rail anyway.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 11:42 PM   #26
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

So you will always know if you have to swipe to get out, because then you will have to go thru a gate? No gate, no swipe? Sounds ok.
Or you could just vault the gate in a jaunty manner ~ we British are always amused by such japes

Disclaimer ~ do not do this unless you want to get wrestled to the floor by hefty men in orange jackets and then spend a night 'At her majesty's pleasure' ~ actually that sounds quite fun

Last edited by K'Ehleyr; May 25 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 11:52 PM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
You still have to touch your card to a reader even if you are not passing through a closed gate, as there are some stations that don't have gates/the gates are fixed open on quiet days. That's the case for the Underground and light rail anyway.
But in such circumstances, the readers are still easy to see? So there's little risk of missing one? A tourist such as myself would indeed miss it if it's not right out in the open...

K'Ehleyr wrote: View Post
Or you could just vault the gate in a jaunty manner ~ we British are always amused by such japes
I couldn't vault the gate. I can barely vault a matchbox.

And given the current configuration of New York City subway turnstiles, I am already conditioned against attempting any sort of turnstile jump. In NYC, that attempt might cost a man his nads.
Old May 26 2010, 12:14 AM   #28
StolenThunder
Poster

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
But in such circumstances, the readers are still easy to see? So there's little risk of missing one? A tourist such as myself would indeed miss it if it's not right out in the open...
Variable. Some are, some aren't. It's a flaw in the system.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 03:06 AM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I suppose it would just be easiest to follow the crowd and do whatever they do.
Old May 26 2010, 07:09 AM   #30
Hermiod
Admiral

This only matters if you use Pre-Pay so they know how much to charge you. If you just buy a weekly Travelcard it won't make any difference.

With Pre-Pay, if you enter a station and then tap your card on a reader, and then by the time the trains shut down for the night you haven't tapped your card on the way out then the system has no way to know what journey you made and thus how much of your Pre-Pay money to take so it has to assume that you made the longest journey possible. (i.e. if you entered in Zone 1 it will assume you went all the way out to Zone 6)

For the most part this is irrelevant since you won't be able to get out of the station anyway.

The most obvious place this can happen is if you get off the Waterloo and City line at Waterloo and don't get on another Underground train from there. There are no barriers and the readers are not obviously placed.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote