Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: What type of story resolution in LOST is more important to you?
It's all about the characters. 4 19.05%
The mythology and mystery of the Island of course! 1 4.76%
Both should be focused on, whether there is full resolution on each side or not. 9 42.86%
I WANT IT ALL! NOW! 4 19.05%
Let's just watch the final episode and get drunkl on DHARMA beer. It's been a great 6 years. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28 2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: This season and this finale: one last thing to ponder...

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Could the writers have done a better job explaining the mythology? Yes, but they chose not to. Some people call it a cop-out. Other people call it lazy writing. And there are people like me that just don't care.
Or the writers wanted to leave leeway for fans to interpret some things for themselves, which some people are happy to do, while others would prefer getting firmer answers.
Old May 28 2010, 04:58 PM   #17
Ryan8bit
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
There needs to be both, and there was both, but that doesn't mean they need to be of equal importance.
Yeah, like I said, you have to find the right balance. If you focus on both equally instead of one as 99% and the other 1%, you're probably a lot more likely to please people who focus on one or the other.

At the end of the day, if you have to choose one or the other to wrap up, I choose characters (at least for this show).
No one should have to choose one or the other.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Or the writers wanted to leave leeway for fans to interpret some things for themselves, which some people are happy to do, while others would prefer getting firmer answers.
Some things I'm fine with trying to answer myself, but there are others, like my aforementioned issues about Sayid, that I find a lot more important. And it's important because it really does pertain to the character. If you just get a character who jumps through hoops or goes from A to B for no reason, then I find that to be poor character development.
Old May 28 2010, 05:07 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Some things I'm fine with trying to answer myself, but there are others, like my aforementioned issues about Sayid, that I find a lot more important. And it's important because it really does pertain to the character. If you just get a character who jumps through hoops or goes from A to B for no reason, then I find that to be poor character development.
As much as I loved the finale, I agree there are certain things that should have been resolved. What happened to Sayid is definitely one of those things. Whatever leftover questions there are I feel should have been answered throughout the course of Season 6, rather than in the finale. Season 6 should have had things sorted out so that in the finale we could just focus on what happens to the characters rather what had been happening all along. I still think the final episode is awesome, but I think it presumes we have answers that we don't.

Sayid turning evil. Fine. Make him evil. I don't even care if you never explain why he's evil. But why did he suddenly STOP being evil? That's what I want to know.
Old May 28 2010, 05:17 PM   #19
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Yeah, fair points. I'm not saying that they got everything right, and that issue with Sayid was one thing that was lacking. But some people want very specific answers to all of the shows mysteries, while others are willing to have quite a bit left open to interpretation. I'm not saying one point of view is superior to the other. It's just a matter of personal taste and perspective.