RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,587
Posts: 5,403,764
Members: 24,867
Currently online: 657
Newest member: jack@gerryander

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 26 2010, 11:52 PM   #121
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
LOL, reviewers are objective. Learn something new every day.
You actually think you're more objective then them with regards to star trek V? Or objective at all?

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
One would need to let people watch who have never seen any Trek before to find out.
Already happened.
I hereby demand proof!
Should be easy enough - let some of your friends see the movie - in an environment where they can tell you their honest opinion about the quality of the movie without ruining the disposition. Then ask them their honest opinion.
Of course, you'll be embarassed - that's just the price you'll have to pay.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 11:54 PM   #122
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Should be easy enough - let some of your friends see the movie - in an environment where they can tell you their honest opinion about the quality of the movie without ruining the disposition. Then ask them their honest opinion.
Of course, you'll be embarassed - that's just the price you'll have to pay.
Oh I did that, and they liked it, which is why I brought it up to begin with. Of course you won't believe that, or (which is a very clever strategy of yours) you simply question my friend's honesty.


ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
You actually think you're more objective then them with regards to star trek V? Or objective at all
There is no objectivity at all. It's a movie, it's art. There are no facts, only opinions.

Objective is: the movie has visual effects, and they had a 5 million budget to create them. Subjective is: the VFX were baaaaaaaaaad. Or: the VFX were still good, despite the budget.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 11:58 PM   #123
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Should be easy enough - let some of your friends see the movie - in an environment where they can tell you their honest opinion about the quality of the movie without ruining the disposition. Then ask them their honest opinion.
Of course, you'll be embarassed - that's just the price you'll have to pay.
Oh I did that, and they liked it, which is why I brought it up to begin with. Of course you won't believe that, or (which is a very clever strategy of yours) you simply question my friend's honesty.
I would question your friends' tastes.

It's your honesty I question - considering that a few posts back you said "One would need to let people watch who have never seen any Trek before to find out." But what's a large contradiction if you can thus protect star trek V?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
You actually think you're more objective then them with regards to star trek V? Or objective at all
There is no objectivity at all. It's a movie, it's art. There are no facts, only opinions.
You think there are no objective criterions in judging art - and movies? Really?
But what's an absurd statement like that if you can thus defend star trek V, right, JarodRussell?

Objective is: the movie has visual effects, and they had a 5 million budget to create them. Subjective is: the VFX were baaaaaaaaaad. Or: the VFX were still good, despite the budget.
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 12:27 AM   #124
ConRefit79
Captain
 
ConRefit79's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
I think most people will admit the effects are poor when compared to the first 4 films. How is it an excuse that all the major effects houses were booked? It's not Shatner's fault that they were all booked. It's not Shatner's fault that the studio would not push back the release date so they could get ILM. He picked a new effects house and was pleased with a test project he received from them. Like most of the flaws with this film, the effects are poor because the studio rushed the film. As for budget, I cannot tell you if ILM would have completed the effects for the same budget.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:19 AM   #125
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
I think most people will admit the effects are poor when compared to the first 4 films. How is it an excuse that all the major effects houses were booked? It's not Shatner's fault that they were all booked. It's not Shatner's fault that the studio would not push back the release date so they could get ILM. He picked a new effects house and was pleased with a test project he received from them. Like most of the flaws with this film, the effects are poor because the studio rushed the film. As for budget, I cannot tell you if ILM would have completed the effects for the same budget.
Agreed. Once you get the whole picture of what happened, you realize that what Shatner wanted and what he got were two wildly different animals. Everything from Paramount shortchanging the budget, to the writer's strike, to consultants never showing up, to none of the quality art effects houses being available. If this movie would have been made a year prior or a year later, it would have been an entirely different movie. That said, I still love this movie. Shatner's direction is solid, the photography was terrific, the idea was a good one, and this movie felt the most like TOS.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 09:26 AM   #126
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
I think most people will admit the effects are poor when compared to the first 4 films. How is it an excuse that all the major effects houses were booked? It's not Shatner's fault that they were all booked. It's not Shatner's fault that the studio would not push back the release date so they could get ILM. He picked a new effects house and was pleased with a test project he received from them. Like most of the flaws with this film, the effects are poor because the studio rushed the film. As for budget, I cannot tell you if ILM would have completed the effects for the same budget.
Shatner wanted this, the studio did that - they're merely excuses, justifications - it's not Shatner's fault, it's the studio's, there were no money, bla bla bla.

Why? Because none of these changes the FACT that the visuals are GARBAGE. When judging a movie, it does not matter what Shatner or whomever wanted to do, it matters what was done - what's on-screen.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 09:42 AM   #127
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
I think most people will admit the effects are poor when compared to the first 4 films. How is it an excuse that all the major effects houses were booked? It's not Shatner's fault that they were all booked. It's not Shatner's fault that the studio would not push back the release date so they could get ILM. He picked a new effects house and was pleased with a test project he received from them. Like most of the flaws with this film, the effects are poor because the studio rushed the film. As for budget, I cannot tell you if ILM would have completed the effects for the same budget.
Agreed. Once you get the whole picture of what happened, you realize that what Shatner wanted and what he got were two wildly different animals. Everything from Paramount shortchanging the budget, to the writer's strike, to consultants never showing up, to none of the quality art effects houses being available. If this movie would have been made a year prior or a year later, it would have been an entirely different movie. That said, I still love this movie. Shatner's direction is solid, the photography was terrific, the idea was a good one, and this movie felt the most like TOS.
Your post proves my case, Sarek of Vulcan ("Shatner[...]and this movie felt the most like TOS."):
"if you don't care about Kirk&co (not caring about TOS), the movie has no other appeal.

In other words "It can only be enjoyed for fan-boyish or nostalgic reasons"."
Of course, I should add Shatner to the list; star trek V fans seem to be, without exception, dedicated Statner fans.


As for "Shatner's direction is solid, the photography was terrific, the idea was a good one" - no they aren't.
You actually think the script was anywhere resembling 'good one' and Shatner's directing was 'terrific'?
You lack objectivity, Sarek of Vulcan.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 10:54 AM   #128
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Your post proves my case, Sarek of Vulcan ("Shatner[...]and this movie felt the most like TOS."):
"if you don't care about Kirk&co (not caring about TOS), the movie has no other appeal.

In other words "It can only be enjoyed for fan-boyish or nostalgic reasons"."
Of course, I should add Shatner to the list; star trek V fans seem to be, without exception, dedicated Statner fans.
I'm not making a case, I'm enjoying a movie.

As for "Shatner's direction is solid, the photography was terrific, the idea was a good one" - no they aren't.
You actually think the script was anywhere resembling 'good one' and Shatner's directing was 'terrific'?
You lack objectivity, Sarek of Vulcan.
I lack nothing but the desire to make a case out of watching a movie. Your mileage may vary.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 12:16 PM   #129
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
It's your honesty I question - considering that a few posts back you said "One would need to let people watch who have never seen any Trek before to find out." But what's a large contradiction if you can thus protect star trek V?
That confuses you, doesn't it? It's not like people can't say "one would need to do this..." when they already did it, but want to see the reaction on the other side first.


ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Objective is: the movie has visual effects, and they had a 5 million budget to create them. Subjective is: the VFX were baaaaaaaaaad. Or: the VFX were still good, despite the budget.
Not quite.
Objective is: the visuals effects are garbage.
The budget thing is an excuse/justification for (and doesn't change in the least) the fact that VFX is OBJECTIVELY garbage.
No, wrong.

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Why? Because none of these changes the FACT that the visuals are GARBAGE.
Again, wrong! It's not a fact.


I ask you, what makes visual effects good and what makes them garbage?

I also think they look crap, but I also know that it's just my subjective opinion. You seem (as many times before in other threads) to confuse your own opinions with facts and objective criteria.


You think there are no objective criterions in judging art - and movies? Really?
But what's an absurd statement like that if you can thus defend star trek V, right, JarodRussell?
What I'm trying to tell you has nothing to do with Star Trek V. It could be Howard the Duck or Shawshank Redemption. The point is that you think the quality of a movie can be objectively measured, which is simply wrong. As with every piece of art, a movie is solely perceived subjectively by each individual viewer. And what you do now with this movie is basically that you sell your own opinion is fact and that everybody else is wrong or lying.


Again. Statements like "Visual Effects are GARGABE!" are not objective. It's just your own opinion.

I also like your choice of words in your posts. You say I try to "protect Star Trek V", "defend Star Trek V", and you "are making a case", and you appear pretty aggressive and act like it was a matter of life and death. What's your problem, dude?

Last edited by JarodRussell; July 27 2010 at 12:32 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:39 PM   #130
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

JarodRussel

Get it through your head: Art (movies) can be - and are - judged according to objective criteria relating to everything from production values to plot, pacing and characters.

And star trek V IS a substandard movie, according to every objective criterion worth mentioning.
As for the special effects, they ARE OBJECTIVELY GARBAGE. The fact that you can't even admit this evidences how biased you are.


The rest of your post is just convoluted wanna-be explanations relating to you being caught lying - I mentioned non-trek fans watching star trek V, your response admitted you never showed the movie to non-trek fans, then you claimed the opposite, and now you're jumping from one foot to the other trying to cover up your insincerity.
You would make a good politician, JarodRussel.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:53 PM   #131
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Hm, and now you are accusing me of lying. Whatever, dude. But it's not the first discussion with you about totally banal things that went way out of line.

As for the special effects, they ARE OBJECTIVELY GARBAGE. The fact that you can't even admit this evidences how biased you are.
Since they are objectively garbage: PROVE IT! It's all objective, so you can do it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 02:27 PM   #132
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hm, and now you are accusing me of lying. Whatever, dude.
JarodRussell, when you write down an obvious falsity (lie) - such as claiming you did something you just admitted you did not do - you should expect other posters to call you on it.

As for the special effects, they ARE OBJECTIVELY GARBAGE. The fact that you can't even admit this evidences how biased you are.
Since they are objectively garbage: PROVE IT! It's all objective, so you can do it.
Sure.
You want a detailed discussion about how the wires were seen in this scene and how crappy the lightshow was in the other scene? Read reviews found on the internet for a forensic analysis, if you wish.

Or, even simpler, watch the movie. Not alone - with a non-trek-fan friend. After the movie, ask him what he thought about the special effects.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 03:02 PM   #133
ConRefit79
Captain
 
ConRefit79's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Shatner wanted this, the studio did that - they're merely excuses, justifications - it's not Shatner's fault, it's the studio's, there were no money, bla bla bla.

Why? Because none of these changes the FACT that the visuals are GARBAGE. When judging a movie, it does not matter what Shatner or whomever wanted to do, it matters what was done - what's on-screen.
So is your opinion the whole film is crap? Or do you think it would be worthy had decent ILM effects been used and it included the final conflict scenes Shatner & Co originally wanted?
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 03:55 PM   #134
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Shatner wanted this, the studio did that - they're merely excuses, justifications - it's not Shatner's fault, it's the studio's, there were no money, bla bla bla.

Why? Because none of these changes the FACT that the visuals are GARBAGE. When judging a movie, it does not matter what Shatner or whomever wanted to do, it matters what was done - what's on-screen.
So is your opinion the whole film is crap? Or do you think it would be worthy had decent ILM effects been used and it included the final conflict scenes Shatner & Co originally wanted?
If the movie would have benefitted from a reworking of the script and far better special effects, then yes, it could have been decent.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 04:49 PM   #135
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain
 
Solarbaby's Avatar
 
Location: solarbaby
View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Pro- Caithlin Dar! An oriental looking beautiful Romulan.

Cons. Shitner directing. Give the script to someone who knew what they were doing and this might have been a lot better received by critics
__________________
Voice actors needed for Star Trek: Absolution animated series coming 2014
https://www.facebook.com/pages/STAR-...4783277?ref=hl
Solarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.