Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 17 2010, 08:22 PM   #76
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

buckeyenation wrote: View Post
The thing with TFF I keep trying to figure out is who to blame for it. Is it Shatner? Paramount? Screenwriter David Loughery? Looking at film with an unjaundiced eye, I can concede the plot has some good ideas....but, my goodness, horribly executed. So therefore someone must stand accountable. Just tell me who.

Paramount. TFF is not what Shatner really wanted, so we can't say if his version would have sucked.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 09:11 PM   #77
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shatner. Conceptually it was his and he directed it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 09:26 PM   #78
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

It was Shatner's movie; the "wasn't what he intended" stuff is excusism -- where none is needed. It's a very good film, IMO.
Old June 17 2010, 09:29 PM   #79
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Shatner. Conceptually it was his and he directed it.
So when an architect designs a building and a meteor hits it, it is the architect's fault?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 02:46 PM   #80
RookieBatman
Commodore

buckeyenation wrote: View Post
The thing with TFF I keep trying to figure out is who to blame for it. Is it Shatner? Paramount? Screenwriter David Loughery? Looking at film with an unjaundiced eye, I can concede the plot has some good ideas....but, my goodness, horribly executed. So therefore someone must stand accountable. Just tell me who.

When in doubt, I always blame the studio.
Old June 18 2010, 03:51 PM   #81
teacock
Admiral

I just finished watching it for the third time. I love this movie. I couldn't care less about the special effects. I don't find the humor particularly forced, there was often banter in TOS and they just upped the banter a bit. Here's what I liked about it:

1. Sybok. Excellent acting, nuanced character. Able to perpetuate his flawed ideals by his telepathic powers. I'd be interested to know if the people who experienced that he had taken away their pain felt it had a lasting positive effect in their life because of it it or if the positives faded like some drug high revelation.

2. Nimbus III. Awesome. The Planet of Galactic Peace. What a shithole. What a testament to wanky ideals dreamed up far from realities. It seems the only thing offered to these people to make their life one of multicultural peace is the removal of all weapons. Hahahahaha. Nice to see that all is not the Hilton in the Federation.

3. Opening scenes, very striking. Sybok and stringy bald guy in the desert. How's this for a great quote:

Sybok.. "Besides I can't believe you'd kill me for a field of empty holes."

Stringy Bald Guy.. "It's all I have."

4. Musical score. I bought the soundtrack for this after seeing it the second time. It's great stuff. I love the Klingon Calvary theme music which was used in several other films.

5. Most importantly this movie has some great character moments between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Their characters really shine as does their acting. DeForest Kelly seems to be really enjoying himself and relishing his role. It's classic Trek friendship bonding stuff, touching, cheesy, for some I guess subtexty.. and most of all believable. These three are very much three old friends, comfortable in their banter and bickering and always having each others backs.

6. FAN DANCE!!!! Surprising, weird, bizarre, tacky, nice song, short enough to make your eyes pop but not drop.

7. "What does God need with a starship?" I know some people don't like this quote. I like it. Kirk delivers it PERFECTLY. It's classic Kirk too, and classic Trek that God turns out to be a megalomaniac alien of great power.

8 Sybok's end. Very sad when Sybok realizes his error.. we know he's a lunatic (probably gone insane pursuing his wild Vulcan emotions) but we still feel for him because ultimately he was used by this fake god alien. Though it isn't spelled out I think he was contacted telepathically, his very powers made him vulnerable. His sacrifice redeems him.

There was nothing I didn't like about it. It's right up there with VI for me. It's a grand romp with great Kirk, Spock, McCoy scenes!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 04:12 PM   #82
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

This much is true. Other than the TOS bridge, this one is my favorite - it is the closest thing to an enhanced and updated version of the TOS set that we're ever likely to get.
I was REALLY disappointed when they didn't reuse it for The Undiscovered Country.
They did. It is the very same bridge set, just in different colors. And maybe they changed the postion of the doors, I'm not sure exactly.
They did change the position of the doors, as well as repainting the whole damn thing and re-upholstering the chairs, adding buttons to the consoles.....

No, it was NOT the same set at all.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 06:20 PM   #83
CorporalClegg
Admiral

^
No it isn't. I guess it wasn't "military" enough for poor Nicky.

What a shame.

I actually think that, had Shat been allowed to make his film, it would've instead been received as one of (if not the) best of the films. It had so much potential. And really the one of all of 'em that was in the spirit of TOS.
Old June 18 2010, 10:58 PM   #84
jwb
Lieutenant

Some of this has already been said, but here's my two cents.

Pros:

- music was great
- Shatner did a great job directing it
- Bennett made sure the story moved quickly and was a fun rollercoaster ride to distract the audience from the story problems
- Sets and locations were gorgeous

Cons
- Sybok the laughing Vulcan being Spock's brother (seems both illogical and contrived and is too much to swallow)
- Followed II, III, IV, which not only were incredible films but took our heroes from the tv show thing, heroes having space adventures on the Enterprise, to a new place, renegades having nonspace adventure in our time on earth. Trying to follow all that up with them being heroes having a space adventure on the Enterprise is bound to be anticlimactic. That said, IV set that all up.

-jwb-
jwbraun.com

Last edited by jwb; June 18 2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 01:46 AM   #85
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

The bridge in TUC was the same set as the bridge in TFF, just redressed and some walls shuffled around. Link:

By Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, most of the movie Enterprise sets had been recycled to become the Enterprise-D of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The bridge had been irrevocably modified as various Starfleet bridges seen throughout the series, including the Enterprise-D battle bridge, and also became several science labs and alien interiors. A new bridge was constructed under supervision of production designer Herman Zimmerman, who wanted to show a transition to the TNG era by introducing carpet and warmer tones to the bridge.

<snip>

The new bridge was reused in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country for both the Enterprise and the Excelsior, with some modifications. Director Nick Meyer wanted to give the vessels a much more militaristic feel, and incorporated metal flooring and some tactile control surfaces.
Old June 23 2010, 11:42 AM   #86
NathanielM
Captain

We posted a question to Shatner and asked him what the hell was he thinking.

PRO: Decent story idea, originally thought up by Roddenberry before Motion picture that was used and was rejected by the film company.

Just needed a few frills and more action and better directing and it should been fine. Instead it reminded me of a bad rerun of TJ Hooker...

CON Decent Plot -- Again Roddenberry's idea...

CON BAD dialoge,

CON BAD acting, (Except maybe scotty's blooper they left in) "I know this ship like the back of my hand... WHAM!"

CON Shatner Directed and wrote it.

PRO He did not direct another one... they got harve bennett to do VI...

Overall it was a bad attempt at Trek...

It could have been better written. although I thought the part using Yosemite was well done. Can't beat scenery like that!

Nathaniel

Aslan ch'Shran wrote: View Post
Please hold me =(

Seriously though this movie was horrible. The sad thing is they created a fantastic anti-hero/hero in Sybok. I thought he was played to perfection from the moment we saw him in the desert up until he faced himself and sacrificed himself to save the Enterprise crew and his followers. By the end I honestly couldn't even see him as a villain, just a misguided man who in a different circumstance could have been a galactic hero who could have changed many lives. Imagine if Sybok had had the chance to work with Spock to help the Romulans years later.

Terrible, terrible movie otherwise with bad acting from the two Klingon "villains" (if you can call them that they acted and were presented like bit-players) and sub-par special effects.

Yes... hold me.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2010, 05:59 PM   #87
CorporalClegg
Admiral

NathanielM wrote: View Post
We posted a question to Shatner and asked him what the hell was he thinking.

PRO: Decent story idea, originally thought up by Roddenberry before Motion picture that was used and was rejected by the film company.

Just needed a few frills and more action and better directing and it should been fine. Instead it reminded me of a bad rerun of TJ Hooker...

CON Decent Plot -- Again Roddenberry's idea...

CON BAD dialoge,

CON BAD acting, (Except maybe scotty's blooper they left in) "I know this ship like the back of my hand... WHAM!"

CON Shatner Directed and wrote it.

PRO He did not direct another one... they got harve bennett to do VI...

Overall it was a bad attempt at Trek...

It could have been better written. although I thought the part using Yosemite was well done. Can't beat scenery like that!

Nathaniel
Just so you know, you might want to research some of your information.
Old July 2 2010, 04:19 PM   #88
Trek_princess
Lieutenant Commander

It would take too long to list all the cons, so here's the top few things that bother me about Star Trek V:
1. Embarrasingly-bad and unrealistic Kirk/Spock/McCoy camping adventure (I mean, come on - grown men don't sit around a campfire and sing "Row Your Boat" - and why would Kirk go rock climbing without a safety rope?)
2. Uhura's silly feather dance
3. Evil-brother Sybok

PROS: the scene where Spock witnesses his perception of his own birth was wonderfully done.
Trek_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 05:06 PM   #89
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Trek_princess wrote: View Post
It would take too long to list all the cons, so here's the top few things that bother me about Star Trek V:
1. Embarrasingly-bad and unrealistic Kirk/Spock/McCoy camping adventure (I mean, come on - grown men don't sit around a campfire and sing "Row Your Boat" - and why would Kirk go rock climbing without a safety rope?)
2. Uhura's silly feather dance
3. Evil-brother Sybok
1. Yes they do. I'm a grown man and I do. As for the no-safety harness - because he's Captain Kirk and has giant balls. The dialogue makes clear that free-climbing El Capitan is not an unusual occurrence in the 23rd Century

2. Nothing silly about it. Singing, being sexy, and using her sexuality as a weapon is entirely in keeping with the character.

3. He wasn't evil.
Old July 2 2010, 09:33 PM   #90
CorporalClegg
Admiral

And to be fair, Kirk wouldn't have been the first person to free-clime El Capitan--or a dozen other high-skill rock faces around the world for that matter.