Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 23 2010, 06:07 AM   #1
ClawsThatCatch
Lieutenant Commander

Forced Mind Meld?

Hey, I'm trying to make a list of all the times Spock (or I guess any other vulcan) has forced another person into a mild meld. These are the instances I could think of.

1) In "Mirror Mirror" Mirror-Spock forces Bones into a mind meld

2) In the movie The Undiscovered Country Spock forces Saavic into a mind meld to get important information.

3) In the new movie Star Trek (2009)Spock mind melds with an unconscious romulan

4) In the episode "Requiem for Methuselah" Spock mind melds with Kirk, not really with his permission, to erase painful memories of his love with the robot woman.

Please add more if you can think of them.
ClawsThatCatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Forced Mind Meld?

ClawsThatCatch wrote: View Post
2) In the movie The Undiscovered Country Spock forces Saavic into a mind meld to get important information.
actually that was Valeris, not Saavik.

3) In the new movie Star Trek (2009)Spock mind melds with an unconscious romulan
Then it's not really a forced meld, as such, since the Romulan was not awake to be able to resist it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:23 AM   #3
ClawsThatCatch
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Man, I'm embarrassed. Rookie mistake on my part.

ClawsThatCatch wrote:
Then it's not really a forced meld, as such, since the Romulan was not awake to be able to resist it.
lol. I'm sorry, I'm just imagining someone trying to make that argument in court. "It wasn't non-consentual because she wasn't conscious!"
Old May 23 2010, 06:24 AM   #4
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

That sounds a lot like the "It's not really rape if she's drunk" defense.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Cornholio
Rear Admiral

damn, I can't remember the episode, but seems like I remember Spock putting the mental moves on some chick to get her to do something without her knowledge. I think it might've been 'the Omega Glory'.

guess I need to break out the discs and watch TOS again.
Old May 23 2010, 03:18 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Spock put his Katra into Bones without permission in TWoK.

...then again, Bones was unconcious at the time

(ever had a really weird dream? That's just Spock mind-raping you as you sleep)

The Katra-without-permission thing happened to Archer during the last season of Enterprise, and he ended up sharing brain-time with Surak.

A Vulcan Maquis tried (without luck) to meld with Quark in DS9.
Old May 23 2010, 03:22 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Troi got mind-raped by Shinzon via his Reman Viceroy in Nemesis (Remans are supposed to be mutant vampiric Vulcanoids, right?), and there was a Vulcan-free TNG mind rape episode I can remember nothing about.
Old May 23 2010, 03:43 PM   #8
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Dukat, not Quark...but the similarity is remarkable.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:42 PM   #9
ClawsThatCatch
Lieutenant Commander

Cornholio wrote: View Post
damn, I can't remember the episode, but seems like I remember Spock putting the mental moves on some chick to get her to do something without her knowledge. I think it might've been 'the Omega Glory'.

guess I need to break out the discs and watch TOS again.
Ya, I know what you're talking about. Spock "suggested" to the savage-girl that she bring his communicator to him.

There was also that episode, I think it was "A Taste of Armageddon," where Spock "suggests" that a guard open his cell.

KingDaniel wrote:

...then again, Bones was unconcious at the time

(ever had a really weird dream? That's just Spock mind-raping you as you sleep)
LMAO. I'll never be able to sleep the same way again!
Old May 24 2010, 01:31 AM   #10
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Spock forces a mind-meld (and more, if you're into that) onto Kirk in the novel 'Killing Time'...
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:43 AM   #11
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Hey, I'm trying to make a list of all the times Spock (or I guess any other vulcan) has forced another person into a mild meld. These are the instances I could think of.

1) In "Mirror Mirror" Mirror-Spock forces Bones into a mind meld

2) In the movie The Undiscovered Country Spock forces Valeris into a mind meld to get important information.

4) In the episode "Requiem for Methuselah" Spock mind melds with Kirk, not really with his permission, to erase painful memories of his love with the robot woman.

Please add more if you can think of them.
5) in ENT "Fusion", Tolaris, the V'tosh ka'tur Vulcan, starts a consensual meld with T'Pol, but then proceeds even after she asks him to stop - she eventually pulls herself away... (She contracted the Panar syndrome as a result.)

6) In ENT "In A Mirror, Darkly", Mirror T'Pol, having lured Mirror Trip with the promise of sex, forces a meld on him and implants a telepathic suggestion to perform sabotage, then uses the same technique to erase his memory

7) in DS9 "The Maquis", Sakonna, the Vulcan Maquis, unsuccessfully tries to force a meld on Dukat as a part of interrogation. Apparently, the Cardassian military has training for resisting a Vulcan mind-meld (or at least Dukat has learned it)

8) I'm not sure about Tuvok's mind-meld with the alien in VOY "Random Thoughts" - it was consensual for sure, but he obviously showed the intention to force thoughts a lot more violent on the guy than he expected... Continuing with the rape metaphors, would that be like having sex with someone who likes it rough, and then saying "You want rough? I'll give you rough" and proceeding to really hurt them?

9) ENT "The Forge" features another meld with an unconscious subject - urged by Trip and Phlox, Soval melds with a comatose guard to disclose the information about the bomber

Not exactly a meld, but also very intrusive and a form of mental violation...even worse than forced meld, come to think of it. You literally have another soul in your body! Is that like... Spock raped Bones and got him pregnant?

Ugh, maybe we should stop with those rape analogies...

Troi got mind-raped by Shinzon via his Reman Viceroy in Nemesis (Remans are supposed to be mutant vampiric Vulcanoids, right?), and there was a Vulcan-free TNG mind rape episode I can remember nothing about.
Neither of those was a mind-meld. It was (literally) rape, as in forced sex, except that it happened only in the mind.

She never tried such a thing... but Quark was obviously hoping to meld with her in a different way...

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; May 24 2010 at 02:37 AM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 04:39 AM   #12
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

The appalling scene in STVI was unlike anything Spock had ever done - or would ever do. All the characterizations were way off in that movie, which is why I can barely watch it.
Old May 24 2010, 05:06 AM   #13
ClawsThatCatch
Lieutenant Commander

I remembered that in the episode "Patterns of Force" Spock mind melds with John Gill without permission.

I was thinking, did Spock really get permission from that Horta or Gracie the Whale? lol.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Not exactly a meld, but also very intrusive and a form of mental violation...even worse than forced meld, come to think of it. You literally have another soul in your body! Is that like... Spock raped Bones and got him pregnant?
LOL. Poor Bones! That guy goes through a lot.
Old May 24 2010, 05:38 AM   #14
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Ya, I know what you're talking about. Spock "suggested" to the savage-girl that she bring his communicator to him.

There was also that episode, I think it was "A Taste of Armageddon," where Spock "suggests" that a guard open his cell.
In the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" Spock convinces a guard that the crew had escaped and he should open a holding cell.

This thread is starting to sound like a bunch of sailors on a twelve hours shore leave.

And what about Nomad, did it really know what it was getting into?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 07:22 AM   #15
FormerLurker
Captain

Spock did that to Kelinda in "By Any Other Name" after Kirk remembered him doing it in "A Taste of Armageddon" and asked him if he could do it again.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote