Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Your thoughts about the episode?
Fantastic! 15 16.48%
Good 49 53.85%
Average 20 21.98%
Meh 6 6.59%
Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth. 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24 2010, 05:17 AM   #76
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: 5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Silurians:

Funny thing is the show runners actually went to the trouble of correcting the in The Sea Devils. So have to give them props for that. 'Eocenes' being the proper name.

Hiding in the Tardis:

Problem was, the Tardis looke dlike it was about a mile away. Wasn't really time to herd everyone over there and still deal with the approaching enemies.

Time it took to set up the system:

Yeah, that bugged me a little too. But I just chalked it up to 'tv time'. Tons of shows seem to do it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 06:23 AM   #77
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Did they even mention the word "Silurian" in this episode. I heard Homo-reptilian, former owners of earth, and I think something else. Here I am thinking they introduced a new race, and everyone knows who they are? That was one of I liked about RTD who. They brought new fans up to speed with short descriptions on what they were encountering.

I liked this episode. Not the best one of the season, but still very enjoyable. Like others said, it was mostly set up, but it was good set up and looking forward to the next one. As for the settings and stuff, I've been liking them all season. They make things seem more organic and real. Also, it's very appreciative to see more scenes in the Tardis. I still feel since "Rose" that they really haven't done much in terms of developing the TARDIS for the newer generation. One time it was implied that it was alive, but that's pretty much it.
Old May 24 2010, 06:39 AM   #78
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yes the Doctor says their name...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 06:49 AM   #79
Checkmate
Commodore

We're also assuming the waving Future Rory and Future Amy were doing was a greeting. It could have just as easily been a warning. The real question is why were they doing either from such a great distance? Staying out of sight clearly wasn't a priority.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 06:56 AM   #80
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
"Homo Reptilis" is taxanomic nonsense, though that whole thing could be the genus name I guess..i.e "Homoreptilis"

Sloppy science though...
There is a lot of taxanomic nonsense before the advent of DNA testing. It's obvious that Doctor is using the human term for the Silurians.
Old May 24 2010, 09:31 AM   #81
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I enjoyed it.

I felt I could have easily been watching a Patrick Troughton episode, the whole thing felt pleasingly old school.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 09:46 AM   #82
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Very enjoyable indeed.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 09:49 AM   #83
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surveillance system?
Blogger MaryAnn Johanson has drawn some interesting conclusions from that very thing. I don't know that I buy them, but there's certainly a sense that narratively things are firing on cylinders that they simply didn't in the RTD-era.
Hmm, it would be kind of annoying if she's right...would the Moff go there?

Still it would explain the Daleks at least

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 10:46 AM   #84
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I really can't see it - partly because it robs the appearance of River Song of meaning and partly because it's simply lame to have a series conclusion that is "and it was all a dream".
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 11:29 AM   #85
Neroon
Mod of balance

DAK wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
I've just finished watching the episode, and I'm curious. What was this "deleted scene" you're referring to?
You can watch it here.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

I would have enjoyed having that scene in the actual episode, but it didn't strike me as being that critical. We're seeing through the episodes so far that the Doctor is growing fond of Rory. And when you only have about 45 minutes for an episode.... well, they usually can't keep everything.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 11:52 AM   #86
Lonemagpie
Writer

Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surveillance system?
Blogger MaryAnn Johanson has drawn some interesting conclusions from that very thing. I don't know that I buy them, but there's certainly a sense that narratively things are firing on cylinders that they simply didn't in the RTD-era.
Aside from there being no way Moff would pull an "it was all a dream" she should have watched Confidential, where they pointed out the amount of cuts that had to be made to episode to fit the timeslot....

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 12:51 PM   #87
Neroon
Mod of balance

I wonder how much it would add to the overall experience for American viewers, if we could regularly watch the Confidential specials. Not that they are critical to the DW experience, but I've often found myself envious of those across the pond who can pull information from a particular Confidential.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:51 PM   #88
Starkers
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Aside from there being no way Moff would pull an "it was all a dream" she should have watched Confidential, where they pointed out the amount of cuts that had to be made to episode to fit the timeslot....
Cuts to the episode have no bearing on them only taking nine minutes to build a village wide surveillance system and have the kid draw such an accurate (and neat) picture. It would have been simplicity itself to merely change the dialogue to "We only have thirty minutes" rather than nine. The montage could have stayed exactly the same, the episode wouldn't have needed to be any longer but would have made a bit more sense.

Episode length seems to be a real issue this series. Does anyone know if the producers had issues with length in the RTD era? I'd heard maybe in series 1 but that they'd got better at it. I appreciate this is a new production team but many of those involved were involved before, so you'd think they'd have a good handle on what they were doing, timings wise.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:56 PM   #89
SeerSGB
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I really can't see it - partly because it robs the appearance of River Song of meaning and partly because it's simply lame to have a series conclusion that is "and it was all a dream".
If nothing else, I think we're setting up for another "Timelord Victorious" moment towards then end, where the doctor goes back and changes history to get the outcome he wants.
Old May 24 2010, 02:29 PM   #90
DAK
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
I wonder how much it would add to the overall experience for American viewers, if we could regularly watch the Confidential specials. Not that they are critical to the DW experience, but I've often found myself envious of those across the pond who can pull information from a particular Confidential.
They're available if you know where to look.