Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Your thoughts about the episode?
Fantastic! 15 16.48%
Good 49 53.85%
Average 20 21.98%
Meh 6 6.59%
Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth. 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2010, 03:17 AM   #31
Fleet Captain

Re: 5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

USS Bones wrote: View Post
How dull. Next to nothing happened. The new Silurian design is bloody awful. With a two parter you want something big, but instead we get 45 minutes of puttering around a Welsh village with the deepest drilling project ever happening in a shed. Utter filler.
I'd settle for them having a third eye.
26138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 03:59 AM   #32
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well now that we've gotten Bones obligatory 'That was rubbish' review out of the way...

I...hmmm. Not much to say really. I gave it a Good, but in this case we really will have to wait until next week to really rate the story. Honestly I don't understand why everyones down on the story for being slower paced than most. Have we really gotten used to DW rushing by, trying to jam 60 minutes of plot into 45 minutes of story?
So now we're back tot hat same problem. How to resolve all this in just 45 minutes.

Nice creepy episode I thought. One of those times when I really wish I hadn't known who the monsters were in advance. Definately would have been edge of my seat time otherwise. Dialogue between the regulars was great.

The thing on the console holdign the ring? I'm guessing some kind of miniature forcefield.

Going to have to go back and study the original Silurian design more closely. Could they have been wearing masks too?

I really hope they do something apart from the usual 'kill them all' resolution to this story. Thats always struck me as terribly unfair.

As for the lack of people about, well it was a Saturday wasn't it? I could swear I heard someone say 'have a good weekend' near the beginning.

Anyway, more comments as they occur.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 04:06 AM   #33
Bones
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Well now that we've gotten Bones obligatory 'That was rubbish' review out of the way...
I think you'll find so far this season I've given mostly positive opinion. I don't understand why you'd make this childish and slightly nasty attempt to undermine and marginalise my view. Is it just because it differs from your own?
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 04:23 AM   #34
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Feel free to disagree with me all you want. Just making the observation that your reviews have gotten a bit predictible.

But I will give you props for not sneaking in a jab at RTD for once.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old May 23 2010, 04:32 AM   #35
Psylent1
Captain

Loved the "Drow city" at the end, but hate the new Silurians.

Way too human looking! These looked more like Sea Devils with the mask on. The old Silurian design was great, especially the "fish eyes". Those really spooked me as a kid.

And then there is the "Boobs on a lizard" problem.

sorry should have used
Psylent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 05:06 AM   #36
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Oh, and the cliffhanger was a bit of a letdown. Not bad. Just sort of meh.

Now, ending on the shot of the Silurian walking towards Amy with a dissecting knife. now THAT would've been a cliffhanger!
Old May 23 2010, 05:45 AM   #37
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I got a jem hadar vibe from them

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:30 AM   #38
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ YES! That's exactly what I was thinking they resembled...green Jem'Hadar! As for the cliffhanger being anti-climatic I will agree that it had the feel of being anti-climatic but i think it was supposed to be more humorous and subtle than in your face oh my look at all the Silurians!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:56 AM   #39
Hennessy Badger
Fleet Captain

I thought this was one of the better episodes of series 5 actually. Yes, the pacing was a bit slower on this one (closer to classic who really) but I like that time was spent on getting to know the secondary characters.

Because of that I'm more likely to be emotionally invested in them than I was for, oh I don't know, the WWII space fighter pilots, or anybody from The Beast Below episode. I think it'll pay off for part 2 next week.
"Gene Roddenberry used to say that Star Trek is a way of saying that the way things are is not the way they have to be. It's about imagining other possibilities, better possibilities." - David Gerrold
Hennessy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 07:11 AM   #40
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I LOVED this episode, definitely has an old school vibe to it, which I love. I'll have more thoughts to chime in on later, just wanted to say I really enjoyed it and look forward to Part 2.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 08:45 AM   #41
Sparky
Commodore

I enjoyed the slower pacing of this episode. One of the very few gripes I have with nuWho is that they sometimes try and stuff too much into the allotted time.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 08:50 AM   #42
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I have to agree with everybody. Since it was mostly setup, it can't rate higher than good. Still I think I would have liked it better if I didn't read spoilers and found out it was the Silurians.

1. The Silurian redesigns is a little too human. I missed the third eye, fish like appearance and the head bobbing. Since these Silurians weren't in stasis and have been evolving for the past 30 million years you really can't argue about their appearance. The all female maybe a conscious decision (females work better in close quarters) or perhaps has something to do with parthenogenesis.

2. Why they attacked is simple? They've been isolated for 30 million and had no way to determine the status of the Earth until the drill hit them.

3. I'm surprise no one got the inside joke of the Doctor only encountering a remanent and then Bang there is an entire city. The whole Silurians were the original masters of the Earth (with the Sea Devils supposedly) and humans are unwanted pests has been part of Doctor Who since the Pertwee era and is not a commentary on the Middle East
Old May 23 2010, 08:54 AM   #43
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Got the joke just didn't think it was worth mentioning and the Doctor did say that these Silurans were a different branch from the ones he encountered before.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:11 AM   #44
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The moment the Doctor said its Future-Amy and Future-Rory, my over-sensitive gut instinct kicked in.

The Future-Doctor may have visited Young-Amy and mind-wiped her. He has visited Present-Amy on the crashed Byzantium ship, asking her to remember. And now he knows where to find Future-Amy. Anyone taking bets that the Doctor will give Future-Amy a visit in the series finale?
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:56 AM   #45
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I thought it was lousy. Bored by visits to pretty British villages; bored by the big "don't leave me" moments. Thought the guest stars were weak, the setting uninspiring, the story lacklustre, the alien of the week so poor the actress made me refer to an honourable (and previously favourite race of mine) as alien-of-the-week. The kid and his mother irritated me, and why did we have to have another dip into the future of Rory and Amy?

On the upside, I still like Matt Smith a great deal, he is turning into the Doctor for me.

Observtions: last week they filmed on through snow, this week it was teaming it down during the night/dome scenes.

Made me want to go and watch The Sea Devils.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote