RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,696
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 494
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 22 2010, 05:05 AM   #16
Cornholio
Rear Admiral

Re: Cold beer!

I have a better idea.

buy cold beer at the store, then take it home and keep it in your fridge. that way when you're ready to drink it, it's already cold.
Old May 22 2010, 05:16 AM   #17
gturner
Admiral

But suppose a giant monster rises from the ocean and causes you a twelve-hour traffic delay getting home?

When that happens (and it happens more than the press will admit), place your first beer in bucket of ice. Next, spin it between your hands or keep twirling it around with your fingers and thumb by flicking the neck, keeping the rotation going in the same direction. It will coast easily between spins if the bottom is resting on an ice cube, some slush, or if it's almost floating. In just a minute or two the beer will be ice cold.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 05:27 AM   #18
Cornholio
Rear Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
But suppose a giant monster rises from the ocean and causes you a twelve-hour traffic delay getting home?
umm, just drink the beer while it's like, still cold and stuff.

it'll help pass the time while you're stuck in traffic.

traffic sucks.
Old May 22 2010, 05:38 AM   #19
gturner
Admiral

NO!!!! Then you're the drunk dude in the unbuttoned flannel shirt who gets out of his car, gapes at the giant sea monster destroying the city, and screams as a giant reptilian foot smashes him into an ink-blot in the middle of I-95.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 05:49 AM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

gturner wrote: View Post
I've been using this trick for years, except with the can or bottle upright, sometimes I spin it by hand but I've also used a cordless drill chucked with a sanding pad.
I also used to use that one quite a bit. Just ice down the rest of the beer for later and set the one you want to drink now on its side in a pocket on top of the ice, spinning it on its long axis with your fingers in much the same way the machine does in the video. Can or bottle, it'll be ice-cold and ready to go in about three minutes.

Now, of course, I simply make sure it's chilled well in advance.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 01:43 PM   #21
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Cornholio wrote: View Post
I have a better idea.

buy cold beer at the store, then take it home and keep it in your fridge. that way when you're ready to drink it, it's already cold.

In Oklahoma, the only cold beer that can be purchased is the 3.2 pee water; otherwise, it's all sold warm.

See my earlier post about an ice chest, ice, and rock salt. It's the best way to speed chill beer.
Old May 22 2010, 03:06 PM   #22
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

John Picard wrote: View Post
I have a better idea.

In Oklahoma, the only cold beer that can be purchased is the 3.2 pee water; otherwise, it's all sold warm.

See my earlier post about an ice chest, ice, and rock salt. It's the best way to speed chill beer.
It is not a bad way to chill a lot of beer in little time, but you'd need a lot of ice! In my little freezer I have room enough to make ten cubes per six hours -would take me abut a week to make enough ice to chill a six-pack this way
Old May 22 2010, 03:35 PM   #23
John Picard
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
I have a better idea.

It is not a bad way to chill a lot of beer in little time, but you'd need a lot of ice! In my little freezer I have room enough to make ten cubes per six hours -would take me abut a week to make enough ice to chill a six-pack this way
Your local store does not sell ice by the bag? Here in the US, we can get 5lb and 10lb bags almost anywhere.
Old May 22 2010, 03:42 PM   #24
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Your local store does not sell ice by the bag? Here in the US, we can get 5lb and 10lb bags almost anywhere.
Nope, and yeah, I noticed this when visiting a couple of years back -been trying to get my local super market to install a machine like that ever since - without luck.

Closest thing is my parents freezer with an ice maker (fridge/freezer combos with ice makers are sold here as 'American fridges' ) but as they usually aren't even home during the hot time of year the ice maker is off
Old May 22 2010, 04:17 PM   #25
Cornholio
Rear Admiral

I have a better idea.

holy crap, that's like, wrong and stuff. really wrong.

I'd switch to vodka.

well, at least you've got like, a system in place. I think I'd umm, still make every effort to keep my fridge stocked with the good stuff.
Old May 22 2010, 04:49 PM   #26
John Picard
Vice Admiral

well, at least you've got like, a system in place. I think I'd umm, still make every effort to keep my fridge stocked with the good stuff.
Yes. That's what an extra fridge is for
Old May 22 2010, 05:26 PM   #27
Marten
Captain

I want one.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 05:34 PM   #28
Cornholio
Rear Admiral

^umm, yeah, so do I.

good thinkin'.

and people say alcohol kills brain cells. I say they don't know wtf they're talkin' 'bout!
Old May 23 2010, 12:10 AM   #29
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

I have a better idea.

Ouch. While Ontario's liquor control laws suck in quite a few ways, one of the good sides are the fact that these guys sell all their stock straight from big industrial fridges:

The downside is that they hold a monopoly on selling beer in cases larger than a six-pack, so we generally pay about a 25% premium on beer here compared to the rest of North America.
Old May 23 2010, 01:50 AM   #30
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Now, of course, I simply make sure it's chilled well in advance.
You and your infernal logic.....

^umm, yeah, so do I.

good thinkin'.

and people say alcohol kills brain cells. I say they don't know wtf they're talkin' 'bout!
We've got an extra minifridge here serving in that capacity, and a second one of those that gets plugged in for parties since the main fridge is somewhat small.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote