Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Re: "Contagion" 3-D virus thriller dir. by Steven Soderbergh

Why was it in 3D?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 05:56 PM   #17
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Why was it in 3D?
Why do hate progress?

Don't you know that's like asking "why was it in colour?" Or, "why did it have sound?"

Get with the times, or get out of the way, Grandpa. It's a whole new dimension for a whole new millennium. 3D for 3K.

But seriously...

I don't know. I'm curious about that myself.
Old September 10 2011, 06:02 PM   #18
sojourner
Vice Admiral

None of the commercials I saw mentioned 3d.
Old September 10 2011, 06:03 PM   #19
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Why was it in 3D?
That's a very good question, and I didn't even know there was a 3D release until I saw this thread. None of the three local theaters here are showing it in 3D, though the theater with the "fake" IMAX (i.e., not full-size) has "The IMAX Experience" version (not sure if that's 3D or not). I saw absolutely nothing during the film where I thought 3D would make any sense at all. I haven't tried finding any information as to this, but I'm left wondering if the studio ended up deciding not to do a 3D version after all.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 06:50 PM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

I don't think it ended up having a 3D release (although the studio did release it in IMAX, which strikes me as a bit bizarre given what I've heard about the movie).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 02:45 AM   #21
Goliath
Vice Admiral

I saw Contagion this afternoon, along with The Debt.

What a breath of fresh air. Both of them.
Old September 11 2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Goliath wrote: View Post

Agreed. saw Contagion on Saturday and The Debt yesterday. Two very good movies.

I liked the fact that Contagion wasn't a typical plague thriller like The Hot Zone. It was smart and well-researched and acted. It was like Mad Men, only starring the CDC.

And The Debt had the most unique final hero/villain battle I've ever seen in a spy movie.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 08:20 PM   #23
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Goliath wrote: View Post

The Debt was fantastic. Might have to check out Contagion if you think it's on the same level as The Debt.
Old September 11 2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Contagion is very good. It's a very serious movie--not at all like Outbreak, which was fun, but silly.

It's a bit like Traffic or Crash or Babel, in that it's a collection of micro-stories rather than a single story. The stories of a number of different people, and how they try to cope with the outbreak of a serious epidemic.

The whole thing is very low-key and naturalistic--which is one reason why I found it so refreshing, after a summer of bloated blockbusters. I have no idea how Soderbergh got so many big-name actors to star in this film, considering that no one's story (with the possible exception of Matt Damon's character) really takes center stage.

If I had to choose between the two, I would say The Debt was a bit better. But not by much. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old September 11 2011, 09:01 PM   #25
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Sounds like they should have gotten Soderbergh to do World War Z.
Old October 3 2011, 02:17 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, I saw this last night. (Not in 3D, though. )

It was... nteresting. .... Maybe, good.

I dunno. The pacing, tone and presentation of it was just a bit odd and off to me. It had a lot of interesting concepts and ideas in it but overall execution of them left something just a bit to be desired and it doesn't feel like all of the various points and such were completely fleshed out or resolved.

I liked more of the stuff going on with the CDC and WHO more than I the stuff with Matt Damon and his daughter, the stuff with the Blogger guy I didn't like at all but also understood his role as the "Matt Drudge type" who'd muck up the flow of information between professionals and the public, dilute the truth with his own conspiracies and generally rant about nonsense.

Laurence Fishburn was good as the CDC guy as was Kate Winslet as the field doctor for the CDC. The story line with Marion Cotillard and the WHO was interesting until it went off the rails into nuttsville.

I also would've liked to have seen more of the breakdown of society and the effects on the world with a virus out there that could potentially take out a meaningful chunk of the population. Most fo that seemed to happen in the background.

I also didn't buy the moment at the end where Matt Damon lets the now immunized boyfriend to his daughter have the impromptu prom. I mean I get why he did it but his understanding of his daughter's "love" for the kid never came through to me. I know he was only keeping the two away due to possible contamination but I never saw that he felt for his daughter and her quarantine keeping her away from her beau.

I did like how the movie ended with "Day 1" -though I figured it would happen- and showing just random series of events that occur that can cause these types of epidemics/pandemics.

An interesting movie with a lot of interesting concepts but the execution was a bit... dull. It felt more like watching a documentary on Discovery:Health than it did watching a movie. Not an overall bad thing, but it didn't leave me thrilled. I "liked" it, but I think that this one would have been better for home-viewing that theater viewing.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 04:40 AM   #27
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I liked the fact that Contagion wasn't a typical plague thriller like The Hot Zone. It was smart and well-researched and acted. It was like Mad Men, only starring the CDC.
I agree. paced like a thriller and by the end it was pretty good.
loved the music too. The music reminded me of Hanna's soundtrack.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 04:45 AM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Very good movie, much better than the other big budget virus epidemic movie, Outbreak. Outbreak was a non-serious Hollywoodized version of the same theme, Contagion seemed like a serious cautionary tale, sometimes venturing into a public service announcement/documentary feel. Some interesting direction and editing choices. Also, is it just me or did it seem to be paying homage to Andromeda Strain somewhat as well?

RAMA