Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about TNG?
I love TNG, both it and DS9 are excellent 67 44.97%
I like TNG, but I prefer DS9 58 38.93%
TNG was okay, I have no strong feelings 13 8.72%
I disliked TNG, DS9 was the superior show 4 2.68%
I loath TNG, it ruined everything 2 1.34%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote for the comic option 5 3.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2010, 08:07 PM   #16
indolover
Fleet Captain

Re: How do Niners feel about TNG?

Both were excellent series. DS9 had better continuity and character development, but I think TNG had over DS9 a superior enemy. The Dominion rocked, but the Borg were near invincible! Picard and co. were lucky to defeat them. The Dominion showed little sign of being technologically superior to the Federation, and the Federation even managed to counteract their polaron beams.

The arc with the Prophets was never properly explained - were they transfigured Bajorans from the future? Did they create Bajorans and long ago tell them to worship them?

There were too many open questions there. And why did they choose Sisko as their Emmisary? Why him, from trillions around the galaxy? Why not a Klingon from Qo'nos, or a Cardassian, or a Tzenkethi or a Talarian, or a Romulan?
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 08:20 PM   #17
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

The first Trek I watched and loved was TNG, but, as others have mentioned, I think DS9 surpassed it. It was while first watching reruns of TNG that I really picked up on the smugness of some of the characters (Picard going on about how noble humans are makes me gag) and the more I come across Wesley the more I dislike, well, not so much Wesley the kid as what the writers allowed Wesley to do (I don't care what the Traveller said and how much of a wunderkind Wesley is; teenagers do NOT belong on the bridge or in senior staff meetings IMO). DS9 had deeper character development and the characters had a wider range of strengths and weaknesses. The more often I watch it the more I enjoy it, while my feelings stay the same about TNG.
Old May 18 2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Damask
Commander

indolover wrote: View Post
There were too many open questions there. And why did they choose Sisko as their Emmisary? Why him, from trillions around the galaxy? Why not a Klingon from Qo'nos, or a Cardassian, or a Tzenkethi or a Talarian, or a Romulan?
My own theory to this is that Sisko only became the Emissary after he met the Propehets in Emissary. Once he explained what linear time was etc, the Prophets then created Sisko. As timelines don;t mean anything to them.

Also telling the Jem'Hadar to sleep really wouldn't work!
Damask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I hate TNG, I hate it with every fibre of my being. And I curse the day Gene Roddenberry came up with it!

Just kidding... voted for option 2.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Damask
Commander

I say will that DS9 needed to have a TNG before it to be what it could be. It needed to be different and almost a counterpoint at times.
Damask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 10:02 PM   #21
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

It's a good show that lays down some good foundations... it also has many of the same flaws of Voy and Ent, except it's premise is basic enough that it's not as galling. There's a certain thoughtfulness to TNG that just isn't there in, say, VOY.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 11:18 PM   #22
Admiral Shran
Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
And why did they choose Sisko as their Emmisary? Why him, from trillions around the galaxy? Why not a Klingon from Qo'nos, or a Cardassian, or a Tzenkethi or a Talarian, or a Romulan?
Because it could be nobody else.
Old May 19 2010, 03:12 AM   #23
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

The option I want to vote for isn't up there.

When I was little, I thought TNG and DS9 were both great shows...I was probably into TNG more, because it was simpler and easier for a child's mind to grasp.

Now that I am older--I find that DS9 has aged far better, and the plots are at a level that really makes me think now that I'm grown.

TNG's effects didn't age well, but worse than that...I started to see the truly repugnant philosophy behind it, especially embodied in Picard. While I have good childhood memories of TNG, and there are still certain movies and episodes I like...for the most part I haven't watched it in over a decade so that I keep the good memories as they are, rather than spoiling them.

So overall--I would say "liked it at first--now can't stand it."
Old May 19 2010, 03:24 AM   #24
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

^ It sounds like you should be voting for the "I loathe TNG" option. It was high time someone admitted to being a TNG hater, or else people would have thought we Niners were just being sneaky.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 03:26 AM   #25
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Well, I wouldn't categorize myself as a hater because I believe others have a right to their opinion. And I would never go in the TNG forum and flame people because their tastes differ from mine. That's their right, and I think fans of other shows should be able to enjoy themselves unharassed just as Niners should.
Old May 19 2010, 03:45 AM   #26
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

I think they are both great.

I've seen every episode of TNG 1000 times probably, so it definitely feels more stale to me.

Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses I think.

DS9 built on the foundation TNG laid. TNG is the more iconic show. Most people know who Picard, Worf and Data are. Most people will never know who Sisko etc. are.

TNG has an advantage in that you can sit somebody down who never watches Star Trek and they can get into most episodes without having to know a ton of backstory.

DS9 is a show for more hardcore Trek fans. There is more subtlely, more exploration of the Trek universe (strangely, since it is mostly set on a stationary space station).

The DS9 characters grow on a level that the TNG characters never really did. Sure I feel like I know Data, Picard and Worf pretty well. But Troi or Crusher? They are like blank slates in many ways, especially Crusher. I still have no real idea what motivates Crusher or Troi other than broad based likes and dislikes (one likes chocolate..one likes to dance..one is a Doctor..) I don't even know why Troi joined Starfleet.

But with DS9 even the side characters get a lot of exploration. Characters like Garak, Martok, Dukat and Weyoun have more personality than some of the main TNG characters ever did. That is TNG's main weakness and why I think TNG is more friendly to new viewers, but DS9 has more rewards for hardcore fans who watch the shows over and over looking for new things.

But I'm not always in a mood for deep characters and story arcs. Sometimes I just want to sit down and enjoy a good TNG or TOS episode without worrying how it fits into the greater scheme of things.
Old May 19 2010, 03:56 AM   #27
happydave
Lieutenant Commander

I voted "TNG was okay, I have no strong feelings"

I think a lot of times TNG does get preachy, and a few of the characters really do nothing for me. It's difficult to think TNG is excellent as a whole when I find some of the main cast just there rather than anything exciting. I don't mind episodes themselves but sometimes just the entire tone just doesn't do much for me.

It's ok, some episodes are decent, but there's a lot of stuff which isn't particularly excellent but just "stuff happened... nothing eventful we moved to a new planet and now we're not going to talk about it anymore."
happydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 04:01 AM   #28
Navaros
Commodore

I voted that I loathe TNG. TNG has always put me to sleep. I'll never understand why TNG was/is popular. There is nothing good about it. It's boring, it has almost no action, it rarely has any SciFi stories, it has zero story development, it almost never has any interesting story, it has zero conflict, it has zero character development, the characters it does have are not even interesting; they are all cardboard-cutout talking heads with generic, almost 100% interchangeable dialogue. It is nothing at all like TOS.

The exact reason why S1 of DS9 is bad is because it is like TNG.

TNG is one of the worst SciFi shows of all-time.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 04:17 AM   #29
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Navaros wrote: View Post
I voted that I loathe TNG. TNG has always put me to sleep. I'll never understand why TNG was/is popular. There is nothing good about it. It's boring, it has almost no action, it rarely has any SciFi stories, it has zero story development, it almost never has any interesting story, it has zero conflict, it has zero character development, the characters it does have are not even interesting; they are all cardboard-cutout talking heads with generic, almost 100% interchangeable dialogue. It is nothing at all like TOS.

The exact reason why S1 of DS9 is bad is because it is like TNG.

TNG is one of the worst SciFi shows of all-time.
I can understand not liking it, but some of what you say just isn't true. It wasn't non stop action, but there were a number of action episodes each season. Also Worf, Picard and Data (and Riker to a lesser extent) got a lot of character development.

And the dialogue wasn't interchangeable. You couldn't switch any of the main character's dialogue and have it make sense, unless it was technobabble.

Are you seriously saying that Worf could deliver Picard's lines and it wouldn't make a difference??

Again, not liking the show is understandable. But at least be accurate in your criticisms.
Old May 19 2010, 05:18 AM   #30
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Had to vote that I love them both and think they're both great shows overall (thus I voted the top option), though the edge would go to DS9 I think.

TNG is what got me into Trek and really drew me into the world, so it'll always have a special place to me, but I do really like the characters and there are a lot of good stories. DS9 really fleshed out that world more, and gave an equally good cast, many more story arcs, and gave us the Defiant.

TNG and DS9 are televised Trek's golden age. TOS was occasionally good, but kinda meh. Then you have TNG and DS9, then Voyager which is mostly good but started to go downhill, and then you have ENT. A rise, a peak, then a fall.