May 17 2010, 12:00 PM
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Andromeda: AU Style
This thread was formed by the partnership between myself and Admiral Young. We both felt that the show Andromeda needed some reworking to repair the damages it has inflicted with for most of the series. Here's Season 1 of our AU version of Andromeda:
- In the series premiere, the cargo ship Eureka Maru attempts to salvage a High Guard ship stuck in the rim of a black hole. Tyr is the Nietzschean hired gun of the Eureka Maru crew and Beka's lover.
- Trance who is also a member of the crew vaguely remembers her past but feels the need to carry her race's legacy. Harper has a crush on Trance.
- 'Unknown to the Eureka Maru crew, there is a person onboard the ship: Captain Dylan Hunt who survived the beginning of the end of the Commonwealth by putting his ship in the rim of the black hole while fighting aganist his Nietzschean first officer who betrayed him. After the Maru pulls the ship out of the black hole's rim, Dylan finds out that 300 years has passed since his time and that a cargo crew is trying to salvage his ship. When he corners Harper and demands to know what's going on, Harper reveals to him that the Commonwealth has fallen.
- With the help of the ship's AI Rommie, Dylan fights aganist the Eureka Maru crew for control of the ship. Beka sends Tyr to deal with Hunt but, to her surprise, Dylan is capable of fighting a Nietzschean and winning. So Dylan comes to a compromise with the Eureka Maru crew. He'll let them stay onboard his ship in exchange for their participation in a mission that he intends on carrying out and that mission is the rebuilding of the Commonwealth, to bring order to a chaotic galaxy. Though Trance and Rev find it interesting, Beka, Harper, and Tyr are not so persuaded to join so Dylan offers them lucrative positions and money to appeal to the side of their natures that yearn for power and money. Beka, Harper, and Tyr accept and so begins Dylan's mission.
- Harper builds a android avatar for the ship's AI so it can physically interact with the crew and have an active role in missions.
- As Trance continues to spend time on Andromeda and her relationship with Harper develops from friendship to something more intimate, Trance starts to remember more about her past and the race she belongs while keeping it a secret from the rest of the crew.
- While helping out with Dylan's mission, Beka and Tyr try to find ways to use the Andromeda and its resources to benefit themselves and their ambitions personally without Dylan being the wiser.
- Tensions stir up between Beka and Tyr when Tyr falls for a female member of a Nietszchean Pride during a mission but tries to make it look like it was all an act to Beka who isn't easily convinced.
- Over the course of the season, it is gradually revealed that Dylan isn't just pursuing the rebuilding of the Commonwealth for the sake of principle. He's dependent on it and sees it as the only thing that's keeping him going with his life after finding out that his old life is basically over.
- In the season finale, the crew hits a major hurdle in their mission when they encounter the Magog Worldship. They find themselves literally fighting for their lives in the battle aganist the Magog and the mysterious being that's guiding them, the Abyss.