RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 470
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 14 2010, 11:32 PM   #76
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: NBC cancels Law & Order

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Yeah NBC canceled everything besides it's "comedies", Parenthood and Chuck because they THINK their new shows are strong. Heroes, Chuck and Parenthood are the only ones renewed.
Heroes has been cancelled, although it may get a 2- to 4-hour wrap-up. Word of that will likely only come sometime after the upfront, though.
Old May 14 2010, 11:33 PM   #77
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I know, it's silly, but any network that is boneheaded enough to cancel such an excellent show as L&O is clearly not playing with a full deck anyway.
I love the show and I hate that it has been canceled, but not only is it prohibitively expensive to produce, its ratings this year have been utterly abysmal (it just ticked a 1.7 this past week). It is a business decision.
Why is L&O expensive to produce? They rarely have extended action sequences - hell, they rarely even have a chase of ANY kind. Although if you mean "expensive digital effects to simulate the kind of bullshit CSI-like stuff that never works in real life but which can, on the show, appear to do stuff like zoom in on a car's license plate from a thousand feet up", then yeah.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 11:38 PM   #78
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Timby wrote: View Post
I know, it's silly, but any network that is boneheaded enough to cancel such an excellent show as L&O is clearly not playing with a full deck anyway.
I love the show and I hate that it has been canceled, but not only is it prohibitively expensive to produce, its ratings this year have been utterly abysmal (it just ticked a 1.7 this past week). It is a business decision.
Why is L&O expensive to produce? They rarely have extended action sequences - hell, they rarely even have a chase of ANY kind. Although if you mean "expensive digital effects to simulate the kind of bullshit CSI-like stuff that never works in real life but which can, on the show, appear to do stuff like zoom in on a car's license plate from a thousand feet up", then yeah.
Three words: contractual salary escalators.

That, and the fact that it's kinda expensive to film a show in NYC.
Old May 15 2010, 12:10 AM   #79
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^Certainly I've heard that all of Law & Order's location filming can get expensive. But salary escalations don't have to be a problem. I think that Lupo & Cutter are strong enough to carry the series on their own. If they have to cut Van Buren & McCoy loose to keep the show on another year, so be it.

Plus, I would like to see the show last long enough to do my idea for a proper finale; an epic 3-parter centering on the murder of Jack McCoy, which also brings back a bunch of former characters, including Logan, Ceretta, Green, & Fontana volunteering to help Lupo & Bernard canvas witnesses. Stone, Schiff, & Branch would provide Cutter with extra legal advice. Robinette & Southerlyn would defend the murderer. Ross & Carmichael would be the ones at the beginning who first discover the body. Just for the hell of it (because I'm a big Trial by Jury fan), Tracy Kibre would be the judge. In the final scene, as they all have a drink in Jack's office, toasting his memory, they make veiled comments about what a long, enjoyable journey it's been. Right before Adam Schiff turns out the lights for the last time, the camera zooms in on a photo on Jack's desk of him with Claire Kincaid.

That being said: What about L&O:UK? What happened to it? Has it been renewed (or whatever they do with British shows )? I heard talk that Jamie Bamber is joining another show, does this mean that the UK L&O didn't pan out?
That doesn't necessarily mean anything in British TV terms. There are often long hiatuses between seasons in that country. Hell, there was a 4 year gap between the 6th & 7th seasons of Red Dwarf. And Red Dwarf actors such as Chris Barrie & Danny John-Jules were able to be regulars on both that show and another show simultaneously, like Brittas Empire or Maid Marian & Her Merry Men.
Old May 15 2010, 12:21 AM   #80
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Doesn't the show have to be funny to be considered a sitcom.
If that were true, 99% of all sitcoms would not technically be sitcoms.
Old May 15 2010, 12:53 AM   #81
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Yeah NBC canceled everything besides it's "comedies", Parenthood and Chuck because they THINK their new shows are strong. Heroes, Chuck and Parenthood are the only ones renewed.
Heroes has been cancelled, although it may get a 2- to 4-hour wrap-up. Word of that will likely only come sometime after the upfront, though.

I meant renewed for more than one season.
Old May 15 2010, 02:52 AM   #82
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Is this season over for L&O? Even if its not, surely the final eps are in the can. There is no way to do a proper conclusion to the series now. If the writing was on the wall with low ratings and bad blood between Wolf and NBC, then the network should have made the cancel decision mid season, in order to at least give a 20 year series time to wrap itself up. That's like canceling All My Children tomorrow in the middle of a Susan Lucci storyline. Respect people!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 02:54 AM   #83
Aragorn
Admiral

Final episode, Jack McCoy is gunned down, and every regular doing the entire run whose character is still alive shows up to help (except Michael Moriarty)... and probably are limited to three lines each because of how many there are.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 02:57 AM   #84
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

It would be nice if Dick Wolf turned around said, frakk you to NBC and either canned L&O:LA or took it to another network.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 03:12 AM   #85
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
Is this season over for L&O? Even if its not, surely the final eps are in the can. There is no way to do a proper conclusion to the series now. If the writing was on the wall with low ratings and bad blood between Wolf and NBC, then the network should have made the cancel decision mid season, in order to at least give a 20 year series time to wrap itself up. That's like canceling All My Children tomorrow in the middle of a Susan Lucci storyline. Respect people!
According to epguides it has three more episodes to air over the next two weeks, so the episodes would be in the can already.

Incidentally, CBS did the same thing to Gunsmoke at the end of its 20-season run. The cast and crew finished work on the 20th season, had their season wrap party and went home thinking the network was bringing the show back for another season. Then CBS cancelled the show, so it had no special finale episode and the cast and crew had no special final wrap party to say goodbye to each other.
Old May 15 2010, 03:15 AM   #86
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Marc wrote: View Post
It would be nice if Dick Wolf turned around said, frakk you to NBC and either canned L&O:LA or took it to another network.
I wonder if USA would be willing to pick up the 'mothership' like they did with CI. Anyone know how CI's doing in the ratings over there?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 04:55 AM   #87
Wingsley
Commodore

I do agree that this series is obviously in its Swan Song, and my goodness there have been doggy seasons several years ago when it should have been axed. I do however think its wrong to boil television history down to a business decision. That's what the canceling of all these historic soaps were, too. All about business and ratings, no consideration of where a network's stock performers and crew will come from or if there will be a breeding ground for the industry-nevermind the presidence and influence shows like Guiding Light had.
Um, you can say that on a TrekBBS forum? A forum dedicated to STAR TREK, that ratings flop that NBC cancelled about 41 years ago?
Old May 15 2010, 05:05 AM   #88
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They didn't want to cancel it mid season because they needed filler for their failure (Jay Leno). Up until two days ago everyone thought it would get another 13 episodes and TNT would give a few bucks, then NBC acted like shit and thought their new shows will make them god again and canceled it.
Old May 15 2010, 05:25 AM   #89
Wingsley
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
^Certainly I've heard that all of Law & Order's location filming can get expensive. But salary escalations don't have to be a problem. I think that Lupo & Cutter are strong enough to carry the series on their own. If they have to cut Van Buren & McCoy loose to keep the show on another year, so be it.

Plus, I would like to see the show last long enough to do my idea for a proper finale; an epic 3-parter centering on the murder of Jack McCoy, which also brings back a bunch of former characters, including Logan, Ceretta, Green, & Fontana volunteering to help Lupo & Bernard canvas witnesses. Stone, Schiff, & Branch would provide Cutter with extra legal advice. Robinette & Southerlyn would defend the murderer. Ross & Carmichael would be the ones at the beginning who first discover the body. Just for the hell of it (because I'm a big Trial by Jury fan), Tracy Kibre would be the judge. In the final scene, as they all have a drink in Jack's office, toasting his memory, they make veiled comments about what a long, enjoyable journey it's been. Right before Adam Schiff turns out the lights for the last time, the camera zooms in on a photo on Jack's desk of him with Claire Kincaid.

Neat reunion / finale idea. Too bad Dick Wolf isn't the sentimental type.

Here's an idea for a "flashback" movie I can't resist: If they found actresses that looked like Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless and they did a L&O movie based on CAGNEY & LACEY in the 1980's, with C&L serving as the detectives investigating a homicide.

I can't tell you how bummed I am about L&O getting the boot. Life sucks today for some reason. And yes, I hop on the bandwagon and speculate the reason is spelled n-b-c.
1: In the 1960's, NBC cancelled STAR TREK due to poor ratings. Big mistake.
2: In the late '70's, NBC cancelled the ratings-successful EMERGENCY! in a greedy move to make it into movies. Dumb mistake.
3: In 1989, NBC allowed the creative team at L.A. LAW to slip away, and over the next three years the show's declining storylines ruined the show. Laughable mistake.
4: In the 1990's, NBC let Johnny Carson retire (never to resurface) and let Letterman slip away to CBS. Pathetic mistake.
5: In the 2000's, NBC kept that dreadfully airheaded fashion plate "sitcom" FRIENDS around long after Jennifer Aniston's hairstyle had seen its 15 minutes of fame, been imitated, and been forgotten. Silly mistake.
6: Now here we are at the dawn of a new decade and NBC has already made a humungous mistake: killing the acclaimed, respected and still somewhat popular LAW & ORDER after just reaching a tie with GUNSMOKE for longest running American TV drama.
So there you have it, folks. Six decades of NBC blunders. Why ruin a perfect record?
Old May 15 2010, 05:42 AM   #90
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

^Wingsley I don't get what you mean? Yes NBC has made stupid mistakes before, especially re Star Trek. My point is yes they miss the boat a lot and this is another example.

Pity this show can't go out like it deserves. I'm telling you instead of a big ratings finale, there will be resverse negative boycott numbers for 'LOLA' stupidity. Why couldn't they have Jack McCoy semi retire transfer to LA for 12 eps on LO, then next season switch it to LA? There had to be better options than this cold cancel.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote