Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 18 2010, 10:03 PM   #106
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

Therin, the STIV line was "No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space".

Nothing to say where he was born.
Old May 18 2010, 10:13 PM   #107
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
the STIV line was "No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space".
Well, I did do a quick Google search on both versions before posting, rather than digging out the DVD. Hence my question mark.
Old May 19 2010, 11:10 PM   #108
Warped9
Admiral

Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

He went for a bucket of extra crispy KFC.
Old May 20 2010, 06:22 PM   #109
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
So, Nero is supposed to be a 24th century Romulan from the TNG-era prime universe. He should look the part.
Again, totally a matter of artistic choice and nothing to do with the plot but for JJ and his team thought they looked better this way.

A point I happen to agree with. GR really should have kept the Romulans ridgeless.
However, they are still supposed to be 24th century TNG-era Romulan. We know what 24th century TNG-era Romulans looked like. These Abrams/Rommies should look the part. If JJA would have us believe that these Rommies are from the original TOS-TNG universe, they should have made them look like they came from that universe. That's the way I see it. YMMV.

Nor do we need any "background" as to why they all shave their heads. They just do, its really no huge deal and to derail a movie with that little bit of information would be funny.
You don't. But I would have liked to have had a little background info on the Darth Maul makeup other than JJA did it 'cuz he's a Star Wars fan. A couple of lines of dialogue wouldn't have hurt.
Old May 20 2010, 06:53 PM   #110
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

There are no KFC franchises in the Prime Universe, or the food slots can't cough up some?
I suppose it is as good as saying he went to "Someplace Else".
Old May 20 2010, 07:11 PM   #111
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

So, Nero is supposed to be a 24th century Romulan from the TNG-era prime universe. He should look the part.
Again, totally a matter of artistic choice and nothing to do with the plot but for JJ and his team thought they looked better this way.

A point I happen to agree with. GR really should have kept the Romulans ridgeless.
However, they are still supposed to be 24th century TNG-era Romulan. We know what 24th century TNG-era Romulans looked like. These Abrams/Rommies should look the part. If JJA would have us believe that these Rommies are from the original TOS-TNG universe, they should have made them look like they came from that universe.
Even if the TNG-DS9-VOY Romulan make-up looked ridiculous and was a thoroughly unlikely appearance for a people who had split from the Vulcans a mere six thousand years before? I think a lot of Trek fans were quite happy that we didn't get TNG-looking Romulans.
Old May 20 2010, 07:24 PM   #112
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

However, they are still supposed to be 24th century TNG-era Romulan. We know what 24th century TNG-era Romulans looked like. These Abrams/Rommies should look the part. If JJA would have us believe that these Rommies are from the original TOS-TNG universe, they should have made them look like they came from that universe. That's the way I see it. YMMV.

Nor do we need any "background" as to why they all shave their heads. They just do, its really no huge deal and to derail a movie with that little bit of information would be funny.
You don't. But I would have liked to have had a little background info on the Darth Maul makeup other than JJA did it 'cuz he's a Star Wars fan. A couple of lines of dialogue wouldn't have hurt.
Were you this upset when Klingons developed a butt on their foreheads? Really. . we know what Klingons looked like in the TOS, and despite the BS story that never made any sense we accepted that Klingons had forehead bumps. . . this is a stupid detail to get hung up up on. . . especially considering that Vulcans don't have ridges, and they are essentially the same species as Romulans. . .

And using being a Star Wars fan as an indictment against Abrams is weak tea, considering that franchise is the defining science fiction/fantasy series for people (mostly men) of a certain age. . .
Old May 20 2010, 07:37 PM   #113
Admiral

Could anyone imagine Nero with a bowl cut, ridges and those horrific TNG shoulder pads?

And the Kelvin bridge looking like "The Cage", where George Kirk gets the heads-up on Nero's attack from a little paper printer attached to the science station?

Modernized/reimagined visuals in Star Trek XI = awesome.

I loved the modernized TOS look on the Kelvin. My thoughts were "this is what it would have really looked like".
Old May 20 2010, 08:02 PM   #114
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Close the rift
Needs rare red matter for that.
Not necessarily. There are many other technobabbly ways to close temporal rifts. We've seen them countless times in the original Trek universe.
No for the love of all that is holy drop the f@#king technobabble nobody wants it back.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
and/or blow up Nero's ship.
'Cos we know that's a piece of cake!
Sure it is. Spock is from the 24th century. He should know all about tricobalt bombs and whatever else he would need to blow up the Narada.
Except

1) the materials needed to make these weapons may not exist yet (hence why they wouldn't be used in the 23rd century).

2) It would probably be a bad idea to show an advanced (from a 2233 perspective) federation starship with really advanced and highly destructive weaponry ON THE DOORSTEP OF THE KLINGON BORDER. Did some of you guys forget how the Klingons reacted to Genesis? Remember these aren't the 24th century lets be buddies with the Federation Klingons, these are the 23rd century lets CRUSH the Federation Klingons.
Old May 20 2010, 09:04 PM   #115
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I haven't dipped into this forum for a while, and this is precisely why. The thing about the ridges/lack of ridges doesn't really matter and there's onscreen evidence for why they don't matter. The TNG eps where Spock is running around on Romulus. None of the other Romulans notice him as different because of the lack of forehead ridges. Therefore they are an accepted look for Romulans.

Do we need an ENT style story like we got for the Klingons? (Which I don't totally hate, but would have preferred to have been explained as different races like in the novels).
Old May 20 2010, 10:02 PM   #116
Admiral

Didn't the Enterprise episodes pretty much create the two different races from the novels? I can imagine them getting named "Imperials" and "human fusions" shortly after.

The Romulan ridge thing doesn't need explaining IMO. I liked that underlings on Nero's crew had odd lumps and bumps too.

I like to think that the smooth and ridged Rommies were the upper-crust, high-caste guys who all held prestigeous posotions in the senate and military, and the weirder guys on Nero's crew were the lower-class rabble, with some non-Romulan blood from dumpy conquered farming worlds in their bloodline, thus giving them odd noses and the like.
Old May 21 2010, 01:51 PM   #117
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

Nero comes from a different 24th century to the extent that Star Trek XI is a "reboot" (lord I hate that word), and to that extent only. Beyond that, you just have to take the creators word that Spock and the Romulans came from the original universe and leave it at that. Frankly, there's enough implausibility in any number of TOS or TNG episodes to provide precedent for the implausibility of the Narada or the new Romulans physical appearance or whatever.
Old May 22 2010, 12:30 PM   #118
Epsilon-9
Lieutenant Commander

What happened to (startrekrcks) did she get put in “the agony booth”?

As to the timeline of universal Star Trek laws of events being altered, sigh wrong. In about another year or so I would just forget about Star Trek XI (2009) like some bad dream.

Could anyone imagine Nero with a bowl cut, ridges and those horrific TNG shoulder pads?

And the Kelvin bridge looking like "The Cage", where George Kirk gets the heads-up on Nero's attack from a little paper printer attached to the science station?

I loved the modernized TOS look on the Kelvin. My thoughts were "this is what it would have really looked like".
Now that’s funny, made me chuckle.

Captain Nero you’re wanted on the bridge, sir. And we have those new shoulder pads that you ordered.

Looked like Nero had some water leaks in his spaceship damn! He needs to call a plumber before, they get flooded!

I’m sure its been mentioned before Star Trek the motion picture shows us a new Klingon then its explained in Star Trek deep space 9, “trials and tribbles” how they became the way they are now.

Last edited by Epsilon-9; May 22 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 22 2010, 01:26 PM   #119
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Epsilon-9 wrote: View Post
What happened to (startrekrcks) did she get put in “the agony booth”?

As to the timeline of universal Star Trek laws of events being altered, sigh wrong. In about another year or so I would just forget about Star Trek XI (2009) like some bad dream.

Now that’s funny, made me chuckle.

Captain Nero you’re wanted on the bridge, sir. And we have those new shoulder pads that you ordered.

Looked like Nero had some water leaks in his spaceship damn! He needs to call a plumber before, they get flooded!

I’m sure its been mentioned before Star Trek the motion picture shows us a new Klingon then its explained in Star Trek deep space 9, “trials and tribbles” how they became the way they are now.
No it wasn't Worf just said the Klingons didn't like to talk about it.
Old May 22 2010, 01:47 PM   #120
Admiral

In the Enterprise two-parter "Affliction" and "Divergance" we meet the human-fusion Klingons for the first time. They're a botched Klingon genetic-engineering experiment based on stolen human augment (i.e. Khan and friends) embryos. That somehow ends up a virus that infects a whole Klingon colony world...