Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 17 2010, 02:23 PM   #91
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I-Am-Zim wrote:
Notice the differences? TNG Rommies have hair. They also have very pronounced eyebrow and forhead ridges. Abramsverse Rommies are bald and tatooed. Horatio calls them "Tatoomulans". That sounds appropriate. Notice also that Nero has no eyebrow or forehead ridges.
Nero's crew shaved their heads ( but do we know for a fact that head-shaving technology even exists in the 24th century?), and Nero has eyebrow ridges.
Except that we've never heard of shorn Rommies before. It would have been nice to have had just a teensy bit of background as to why they shaved their heads and gave themselves Darth Maul tatoos. And no, Nero does not have eyebrow ridges like a 24th century Romulan.

Michael is the Godfather.

I-Am-Zim wrote:
To me, there's no way that "our" Spock would allow his home planet to be destroyed.
Unless of course he was powerless to stop it from happening. Then again, we all know that TOS Spock was an omnipotent god, and nothing happened in his universe that he didn't personally allow to happen.
He wasn't powerless. "Our" Spock knows all about how to travel back in time. He provided the mathematics to slingshot a battered Klingon BoP around the sun to go back to the 1980's and get a couple of whales to bring back to the 23rd century to save the Earth. His formula to restart the warp engines of the TOS Enterprise caused them to travel back in time three days. And there are many other instances of time travel that Spock could have used.

He could have used any of several different methods to travel back to the instant before Vulcan was destroyed and stopped Nero somehow. How? Maybe he could have told Captain Pike to fire phasers and torpedoes at the teather holding the drill like NuSpock did at Earth and destroyed the drill before they could finish drilling to Vulcan's core. And if Nero still tried to launch the Red Matter bomb, the Abramsprise could have tractor beamed it and then beamed it back to the Narada.

The other possibility is that OldSpock probably knew he was in an alternate universe and that "his" Vulcan was just fine in the other universe that he came from, he simply didn't care that this alternate version of his home world was destroyed. No skin off his nose.

I know this is all pure nonsense and speculation. But it could work.
Old May 17 2010, 02:54 PM   #92
Hythlodeus
Commander

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
And no, Nero does not have eyebrow ridges like a 24th century Romulan.
BS!
Nero and the other Romulans HAD eyebrow ridges. Not as big and rubbery like in the television shows, but more subtle and nevertheless big enough to be noticed. THESE are NOT Banas NORMAL eyebrow ridges:
Old May 17 2010, 03:22 PM   #93
Gojira
Commodore

Hythlodeus wrote: View Post
And no, Nero does not have eyebrow ridges like a 24th century Romulan.
BS!
Nero and the other Romulans HAD eyebrow ridges. Not as big and rubbery like in the television shows, but more subtle and nevertheless big enough to be noticed. THESE are NOT Banas NORMAL eyebrow ridges:
That is very true. If you watch the extras on the DVD it shows them putting make-up on Bana and he is wearing some type of ridge/eyebrow prosthetic. The Romulan ridges are not as built up as the TNG series but they are more than they were in the TOS series.
Old May 17 2010, 03:35 PM   #94
I-Am-Zim
Captain

As I said. Nero does not have TNG-era 24th century Romulan eyebrow or forehead ridges. He has built-up eyebrows, but that's it.
Old May 17 2010, 03:45 PM   #95
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

As I said. Nero does not have TNG-era 24th century Romulan eyebrow or forehead ridges. He has built-up eyebrows, but that's it.
So what?
Old May 17 2010, 03:53 PM   #96
I-Am-Zim
Captain

So, Nero is supposed to be a 24th century Romulan from the TNG-era prime universe. He should look the part.
Old May 17 2010, 04:00 PM   #97
Hythlodeus
Commander

. He has built-up eyebrows, but that's it.
I'm deeply sorry, but there are clearly eyebrow ridges. I understand that you refuse to see them, because you like to whine about little details, but they are still there.
of course, they are not EXACTLY the same like the ridges in TNG, but personally, I would have been very dissapointed if they had used the same cheap rubber parts they used in a TV show from the 80ies. It's an update. A brilliant update to be precise. and face it: it never made sense that romulans had those big bumpers on their forehead while vulcans hadn't
Old May 17 2010, 04:07 PM   #98
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

So, Nero is supposed to be a 24th century Romulan from the TNG-era prime universe. He should look the part.
Naw. Everything looks different in this movie, and that signifies absolutely nothing about the events of the storyline.

Hell, they haven't done Nimoy's ears to match in any two Star Trek movies.
Old May 17 2010, 05:01 PM   #99
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Of course, if it pleases some folks, it's entirely possible that Nero and his crew simply represents a type of Romulan we haven't seen before. After all, we've seen different types of Vulcans (different skin tones), Andorians (different skin tones and different antenna placements), and even joined Trills (Odan) over the years.

Not all aliens from the same world look alike, IMO...
Old May 17 2010, 08:27 PM   #100
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Again, totally a matter of artistic choice and nothing to do with the plot but for JJ and his team thought they looked better this way.

A point I happen to agree with. GR really should have kept the Romulans ridgeless.

Nor do we need any "background" as to why they all shave their heads. They just do, its really no huge deal and to derail a movie with that little bit of information would be funny.
Old May 18 2010, 05:11 PM   #101
Kai Winn
Captain

Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Nero went back in time to 2233. By changing things he created an alternate universe. Surely Spock, who fell into the black hole a few seconds after Nero, should have been altered and be the 2387 product of Nero's new timeline rather than TOS Trek?
that's all very confusing, because in 2233 kirk had moved to tarsus 3 (the conscience of the king), what suggest he must have been born earlier. even if the tos episode got that wrong, it's established that kirk was born in iowa. what was kirk's mom doing aboard the kelvin? how did nero manage to alter happenings before his arrival? it's not so that nero's attack triggered the birth, he made short work of the kelvin.
Old May 18 2010, 05:44 PM   #102
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
that's all very confusing, because in 2233 kirk had moved to tarsus 3 (the conscience of the king), what suggest he must have been born earlier. even if the tos episode got that wrong, it's established that kirk was born in iowa. what was kirk's mom doing aboard the kelvin? how did nero manage to alter happenings before his arrival? it's not so that nero's attack triggered the birth, he made short work of the kelvin.
Kirk was born in 2233, in both timelines (the writers got the year from the 1994 Star Trek Chronology). The Tarsus thing was when he was somewhere around 10-15 years old (and seemingly never happened to alternate Kirk).

There's nothing to say Kirk (prime) was born in Iowa, just that he was raised there.
Although it's possible the Kelvin was en route to Earth, and Nero's attack sent Winona into labour a little prematurely.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; May 18 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 18 2010, 08:25 PM   #103
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I can see how Kirk J's birth was hasten by the battle.
Old May 18 2010, 09:38 PM   #104
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
That it isn't onscreen shows that Abrams either didn't really know and/or care about the original continuity and/or he was just sloppy.
Or that Spock is becoming quite elderly. They really aged up Nimoy for this outing, including even making his eyes rheumy. I was pleased to see that Nimoy out of makeup, promoting the film, wasn't quite as ancient as his Vulcan counterpart.
I think Nimoy would strongly disagree that Spock was senile in this movie.
Old May 18 2010, 09:46 PM   #105
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
There's nothing to say Kirk (prime) was born in Iowa, just that he was raised there.
Isn't the ST IV quote, to Gillian, "I was born in Iowa, I only work in outer space"?

At one point, the ST 2009 writers were going to have the Kelvin be the Iowa, as a word play on the canonical quote.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I think Nimoy would strongly disagree that Spock was senile in this movie.
Who said "senile"? There is obviously a moment of confusion; he's doing calculations as he speaks, and realises something's definitely changed. At this point, Spock hasn't had an opportunity to work out how many differences Nero's presence has wrought.

I think Nimoy would disagree on most of your opinions on this movie.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; May 18 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread