Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 14 2010, 09:52 PM   #76
Char Aznable
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

The thing is, there really aren't too many visual differences. The Romulan ship looks different? Big fucking deal, we never saw what a mining vessel looked like in the 24th century, so who says what it should look like? Spock's ship doesn't look like a 24th century Starfleet vessel? That'd be fine except it's not necessarily Starfleet. Whose to say what Vulcan tech looks like in the 24th (I'm pretty sure we never saw a Vulcan ship in the TNG era).
Old May 14 2010, 09:55 PM   #77
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Char Aznable wrote: View Post
The thing is, there really aren't too many visual differences. The Romulan ship looks different? Big fucking deal, we never saw what a mining vessel looked like in the 24th century, so who says what it should look like? Spock's ship doesn't look like a 24th century Starfleet vessel? That'd be fine except it's not necessarily Starfleet. Whose to say what Vulcan tech looks like in the 24th (I'm pretty sure we never saw a Vulcan ship in the TNG era).

We did they looked a bit like shoeboxes with engines in Unification.
Those were also a radical difference from TMP Vulcan transport. Why do species need to only use one type/style of ship anyway?

Sharr
Old May 14 2010, 11:16 PM   #78
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

jamestkirkfan wrote: View Post
Could Spock Prime undo what happened after the Narada attacked the USS Kelvin and go back in the prime universe just wondering.
To what end? The franchise has now moved to the "alternate universe" so it would be counter-intuitive for TPTB to move them back to the TOS universe.

How's things, there, startrekrcks-startrekk-chriskirkgeek?
Old May 14 2010, 11:51 PM   #79
jamestkirkfan
Ensign

Look stop aggravating the situation leave me alone.
Old May 14 2010, 11:58 PM   #80
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

jamestkirkfan wrote: View Post
Look stop aggravating the situation leave me alone.
That's your response? Leave me alone?

Seriously, why would TPTB want Spock Prime to "fix" anything at this point? Why would you want to see that? I thought you liked the new movie and the new "version" of Star Trek. Have you changed that opinion along with some others?
Old May 15 2010, 03:32 AM   #81
Gojira
Commodore

In an effort to appease many fans the writers wanted to let them know that the events in this movie create an alternate universe that allows for the continuing existence of the Prime Universe we have been watching for the last 40+ years.

The problem with that is, other than the writers telling us that is what has happened I personally have a difficult time reconciling that with what I see on the screen.

The movie plays like a typical time travel story frequently told in all of Star Trek: The time line gets altered but our valiant crew always sets things right and restores the proper time line at the end. Except this movie didn't hit the reset button.

So you can have three viable theories in my opinion.

A) This movie is set in the Prime Universe and has erased all old Trek.

B) Nero and Prime Spock are from the Prime Universe but arrive at an already existing Alternate Universe which they happen to further mess with its time line.

C) Nero and Prime Spock are not from our Prime Universe but are from an already existing Alternate Universe separate from our Prime Universe and are going back in time and erasing the events of this Alternate Universe which they originated from. (this is similar to theory A except that the entire movie all takes place in its own Alternate Universe).

I am alright with either of these theories. Right now I like theory A and in this way I can view the entire Star Trek franchise like one giant long story with each series and each episode playing like a chapter to a long on going story. The events did happen as we have been watching for many years but now at this point in the Star Trek saga the time line has been changed and now events will unfold differently. But I can go back any time I want and view the old time line (via my DVDs) because, as I said, it did happen, it just won't happen again the same way this new time around.
Old May 15 2010, 05:37 PM   #82
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
The movie plays like a typical time travel story frequently told in all of Star Trek: The time line gets altered but our valiant crew always sets things right and restores the proper time line at the end. Except this movie didn't hit the reset button.
So, in other words, the movie plays like a typical time travel story frequently told in Star Trek, except for the fact that it does not play like a typical time travel story frequently told in Star Trek.

So the assumption that this film is bound by the conventions of inherently contradictory 20th-century pop culture time travel has no basis in the film itself.

I-Am-Zim wrote:
Notice the differences? TNG Rommies have hair. They also have very pronounced eyebrow and forhead ridges. Abramsverse Rommies are bald and tatooed. Horatio calls them "Tatoomulans". That sounds appropriate. Notice also that Nero has no eyebrow or forehead ridges.
Nero's crew shaved their heads ( but do we know for a fact that head-shaving technology even exists in the 24th century?), and Nero has eyebrow ridges.

Michael is the Godfather.

I-Am-Zim wrote:
To me, there's no way that "our" Spock would allow his home planet to be destroyed.
Unless of course he was powerless to stop it from happening. Then again, we all know that TOS Spock was an omnipotent god, and nothing happened in his universe that he didn't personally allow to happen.

Last edited by Set Harth; May 15 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old May 15 2010, 06:29 PM   #83
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

I-Am-Zim wrote:
To me, there's no way that "our" Spock would allow his home planet to be destroyed.
Set Harth
Unless of course he was powerless to stop it from happening. Then again, we all know that TOS Spock was an omnipotent god, and nothing happened in his universe that he didn't personally allow to happen.
LOLOL!

Yeah, Spock didn't allow anything, he got stranded by a mad man on a ball of ice and bore witness to Vulcan's demise.

Some fans perceptions of Star Trek, the franchise are viewed via a rose colored lens where StarFleet is never wrong, Gene Roddenberry is a prophet of an achievable Utopian future, and Vulcan's are always flawless and logic somehow equals "kind and pleasant" when in truth a truly logical people would not be safe to be around.
Old May 15 2010, 09:23 PM   #84
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

If they really do not need to film him anymore, they can just as easily have a throwaway line that Spock Prime is going to try to return to his Universe.
Old May 15 2010, 11:28 PM   #85
Gojira
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
So, in other words, the movie plays like a typical time travel story frequently told in Star Trek, except for the fact that it does not play like a typical time travel story frequently told in Star Trek.

So the assumption that this film is bound by the conventions of inherently contradictory 20th-century pop culture time travel has no basis in the film itself.

In other words the action and dialog on the screen point to it being a typical linear time travel story that is not set right at the end.
Old May 16 2010, 03:22 AM   #86
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's fine with me if this erases and replaces the old timeline as far as the movies and TV is concerned - since, in fact, that's what it does regardless of the internal story explanation. The old timeline exists in the 700+ hours of oldTrek tv and films.
Old May 16 2010, 11:40 AM   #87
Warped9
Admiral

Prime Spock may have gone into a black hole and went somewhere. We needn't speak to that because we don't know.

What I do know is that Prime Spock didn't go into the Abramsverse. Simply because Prime Spock knows that Kirk didn't command the Enterprise until his early thirties. And for him to express surprise that young, barely out of Academy, nuKirk is not already in command of the Enterprise clearly illustrates that the Spock that emerges into the Abramsverse isn't Prime Spock from TOS.

It may be that Abrams wants to suggest that, but that isn't the evidence on the screen. That it isn't onscreen shows that Abrams either didn't really know and/or care about the original continuity and/or he was just sloppy. Either way the onscreen evidence (or lack thereof) trumps whatever his intent.
Old May 16 2010, 12:43 PM   #88
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Whatever you have to tell yourself in order to sleep at night!
Old May 16 2010, 03:24 PM   #89
Warped9
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
^Whatever you have to tell yourself in order to sleep at night!
Same to you.
Old May 16 2010, 03:46 PM   #90
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
That it isn't onscreen shows that Abrams either didn't really know and/or care about the original continuity and/or he was just sloppy.
Or that Spock is becoming quite elderly. They really aged up Nimoy for this outing, including even making his eyes rheumy. I was pleased to see that Nimoy out of makeup, promoting the film, wasn't quite as ancient as his Vulcan counterpart.
Closed Thread