RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,361
Posts: 5,446,218
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 514
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 31 2010, 12:10 AM   #241
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

3D Master wrote: View Post
Oh, god, I wish it were. Seriously, I wish I was exaggerating. God, do I wish I was exaggerating. Because if I were, although this movie would still have been bad, at least I would still be able to say that my favorite franchise didn't produce a movie this mind-bogglingly awful, that I have to give it the moniker, Unholy Abomination of Unprecedented Proportions.
No truth. Still exaggerating.

This movie has one 4 minute scene with so many plot-holes and idiocies in them, a mind-boggling 13 at least, that is about the same and more likely more, than the first 9 movies combined. And worse off, any plotholes in the first 9 movies, are small ones that get the story going, while these 13, like the communications officer not saying there are no signals coming from Vulcan; they're the result of Beavis and Butthead writing a movie.

Go look up my review of the movie, and go through that, I've named all the ones I noticed at that time. There are just a mind-shattering three scenes that aren't filled with plot-holes, idiocies, and just plain bullshit; and I've since, through discussions with other people, and as a result reviewing the movie in my head, found those aren't even all of them. This movie is like anti-good movie. Where a good movie you peel back layers through discussion or repeat viewings and you find more good stuff, or funny stuff you hadn't noticed the first viewing; with Star Trek every layer you peel away reveals more bad stuff the more surface bad stuff was obscuring.
Still wrong, still not changing anything.
Devon is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 12:15 AM   #242
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
3DMaster:
Q didn't guide a thing? He warned them about the Borg. Quinn admits to much more in Voyager (like shaking the tree Newton sat under. Dumb again?)
He didn't warn them about the Borg, he sent them to the Borg and sped up the interest of the Borg in the Federation. And whether Quinn shook the tree or not, doesn't matter. He didn't guide a thing. Newton still created his Principals of Physics all on his own.

Or how about "All Good Things", where Q guides Picard though three time periods to defeat a sinister white cloud that travelled backwards in time (another thing that makes no sense!)
Again, he didn't guide a thing. It was just Q mucking up again. After all, the only reason the white cloud existed, is because the Enterprise set up a resonance scan in the same place in three different time periods. And guess, what? The only reason the Enterprise could be at those positions at the same time in three different time periods, is because Q sent present-day Picard to three different times in his own body. Without Q's mucking, no anti-time rift.

Of course, even if Q was "guiding", Q is an existing being, one you can see with your own, that instruments can detect and measure, and who does not stop you from choosing your own path, where your decisions are your own. Gods and nebulous supernatural forces that you can see or measure, that don't exist, yet can rip your ability to decide things for yourself away to follow a "plan" or "destiny", completely removing anything worthwhile you did, because you didn't do it, you were just a puppet on a string, is a whole other matter.

You say Q's not a supernatural force? The crew see and "record" (as you put it) him only when he wants them to. He supposedly has the power to do anything. It's all in presentation.
Exactly, no supernatural force. He actually exists. Just because he's extremely powerful, and has massive amounts of knowledge, doesn't make him any less real, and there's actual evidence of his existence.

[quote\I've seen the STXI deleted scenes - no mention of devine forces repairing the timeline. Early scripts? Don't mean shit with regards to the final film. You're not trying to use "writer's intent", that thing you've been touting as worthless, to back up your arguments?[/quote]

Nope, like I said, it's massively implied even in vanilla STXI. And just because it isn't deliberately called supernatural, doesn't make "destiny" any less so.

You don't like the film because it's "a pile of shit". I'm afraid this has no bearing whatsoever on Spock Prime being the guy from TOS or not.
And once again, it's the other way around. Where Spock Prime comes from, has bearing on whether or not it's a pile of shit. And as for other things than the threat topic, go look at yourself. I didn't bring up all kinds of side mentions.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 12:49 AM   #243
Checkmate
Commodore
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

I hear all aliens look exactly alike, come from exactly the same culture, and all live in exactly the same climate. No variations allowed.

Except for Humans.

Because, you know, Humans get to be varied in looks, culture, personalities, religions, and outlooks.
Checkmate is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 01:16 AM   #244
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

The Borg knew about the Federation. They'd already attacked neutral zone outposts in Federation and Romulan space (and that's before all the reverse-continuity in Voyager and Enterprise). Q warned the Federation about the Borg, not the other way around.

If he wanted to, Q could invisibly manipulate the universe to his will without anyone knowing it. We've seen other Q's alter personalities before.

Where Spock Prime comes from, has bearing on whether or not it's a piece of shit.
How exactly? How does your opinion and enjoyment of the film change depending on if it's TOS Spock or not? Why can't you just ignore the canon and pretend it's not TOS Spock? Why the obsessive urge to "prove" the ficticious universe is how you see it and not TPTB?

You've admitted you hate and disregard Enterprise and Nemesis, so why not just ignore STXI the same? All this bitterness over a tv/film franchise (that couldn't care less about disgruntled obsessive TOS fans) can't be worth it, or healthy.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 07:27 AM   #245
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
The Spock in STXI didn't remind me of the original Spock.
Which version of the original Spock are you referring to?

Hmm. Odd.

(transwarp beaming, anyone?).
Nope, no one.
Devon is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 09:47 AM   #246
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
The Borg knew about the Federation. They'd already attacked neutral zone outposts in Federation and Romulan space (and that's before all the reverse-continuity in Voyager and Enterprise). Q warned the Federation about the Borg, not the other way around.
Bullshit. The Borg had been in Alpha Quadrant, attacked the Neutral Zone... and left, not considering the lot interesting enough to assimilate!! Then suddenly the E-D arrives in the path of a Cube where it shouldn't be, and the Borg go: "What the hell!? How did they get here!?" And then the E-D disappears with impossible speeds the same way! Well, now, now they've got to be assimilated, because we gotta know what that was, and to have it.

The encounter with the Borg that Q sent the E-D to, sped up the Borg's interest in assimilating the Federation. Without Q, the Borg would have left the AB Quadrants alone as too primitive to assimilate. But that isn't all, considering Guinan's people being assimilated by the Borg and she and other refugees having been around in the Federation for quite some time, and there must have been at least one that realized that the more their new home knows about the Borg the higher the chance they may manage to defeat the Borg and having to watch it all over again, the Federation must have known about the Borg before Q Who. Indeed, considering that Shelby managed to get the anti-Borg effort BACK on track, not on track to begin with, as well as considering the length a starship-class has to be developed and the Defiant-class being discontinued before BoBW considering its main designer being at Wolf359, we can say with some confidence that the Federation already knew about the Borg before Q Who, and were in fact, actively preparing for them. In that light, The Raven and Seven's parents aren't retcons, they should have been expected; in fact, they should have been no surprise the moment Guinan revealed the Borg destroyed her species all the way back Q Who.

If he wanted to, Q could invisibly manipulate the universe to his will without anyone knowing it. We've seen other Q's alter personalities before.
Except that he didn't.

Where Spock Prime comes from, has bearing on whether or not it's a piece of shit.
How exactly? How does your opinion and enjoyment of the film change depending on if it's TOS Spock or not? Why can't you just ignore the canon and pretend it's not TOS Spock? Why the obsessive urge to "prove" the ficticious universe is how you see it and not TPTB?
If it were the only problem, maybe, but it's just one of many, many, many, many, many. There are only so many problems, plot-holes, idiocies, and the like a movie can have before the camel's back is broken, and STXI has broken that back before even half the film is over. In fact, if the very FIRST piece of dialog before a minute of movie-time is even over goes:

"It looks like a lightning storm! You should see it!"

"Captain, we are not yet in visible range."

That's an anvil right there.

You've admitted you hate and disregard Enterprise and Nemesis, so why not just ignore STXI the same? All this bitterness over a tv/film franchise (that couldn't care less about disgruntled obsessive TOS fans) can't be worth it, or healthy.
I am ignoring STXI the same way. Just because I'm ignoring it, doesn't mean I don't point out all its idiocies when the situation that demands it arises.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 09:54 AM   #247
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

3D Master wrote: View Post
I am ignoring STXI the same way. Just because I'm ignoring it, doesn't mean I don't point out all its idiocies when the situation that demands it arises.
No situation that has "demanded" it of you.
Devon is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 10:43 AM   #248
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

3DMaster:
You missed my point about Q. He can, if he chooses, act without anyone knowing. Thus we'd never know if he or a similar alien were pulling the strings from afar.

Of course the Borg knew about the Federation, and the Federation knew a little about the Borg. Yet Q put the Enterprise in the path of a cube and then snatched them away just before they effortlessly overrun the flagship. This is when Starfleet learned what the Borg were really capible of first hand.

You're not ignoring STXI. You keep attempting to prove it's not "your" Spock when it very obviously is.
This isn't about your hatred for the movie. We understand and accept that you dislike it, and why, although I and others disagree. However such silliness does not preclude Spock Prime being the guy from the original series outside your head. At all.
Your opinion is not that of those in charge. It's your fanon only. In the canon, Enterprise and STXI are connected to the TOS continuity.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 10:46 AM   #249
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Oh, and Defiant and Sisko being in charge there came after Wolf 359. It when the Borg stayed away after that that the project was put on hold and Sisko went to DS9.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 11:26 AM   #250
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
3DMaster:
You missed my point about Q. He can, if he chooses, act without anyone knowing. Thus we'd never know if he or a similar alien were pulling the strings from afar.
Yeah, well, we'd never know there is an invisible flying spaghetti monster either, nor if there is a teapot orbiting the sun right now either, or Zeus exists after all. But if there is no evidence for it, a rational mind will say it doesn't exist.

Of course the Borg knew about the Federation, and the Federation knew a little about the Borg. Yet Q put the Enterprise in the path of a cube and then snatched them away just before they effortlessly overrun the flagship. This is when Starfleet learned what the Borg were really capible of first hand.
And SPED UP, the time that the Borg came for the Federation, at a time that the Federation utterly was (and is) not ready for them. Which means, he didn't warn them, he fucked them over.

You're not ignoring STXI. You keep attempting to prove it's not "your" Spock when it very obviously is.
1. I AM ignoring STXI. Posting in a thread with the very topic is not not ignoring them. If I were not ignoring STXI, I would be posting in every thread under the sun, including gusher threads and speculation threads, and whatnot.

2. He is obviously not.

This isn't about your hatred for the movie. We understand and accept that you dislike it, and why, although I and others disagree. However such silliness does not preclude Spock Prime being the guy from the original series outside your head. At all.
Of course, when you don't like this movie, you're silly. Keep insulting people, have fun with that. And again, my hatred does not mean that Old Spock is not Spock Prime. If it was Spock Prime I would never argue against it. The problem is, that evidence shows he's not, and, here we get with the other way around AGAIN, the fact that he's not, is one more reason why this movie is horribly bad.

Your opinion is not that of those in charge. It's your fanon only. In the canon, Enterprise and STXI are connected to the TOS continuity.
It's not fanon, it's a cold hard fact exemplified by the evidence. Just because you and those in charge aren't willing to see the problems with Old Spock versus Spock Prime, doesn't make it any less true.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Oh, and Defiant and Sisko being in charge there came after Wolf 359. It when the Borg stayed away after that that the project was put on hold and Sisko went to DS9.
Nope. The Defiant project was shut down after Wolf 359, because the Federation stopped the Borg and there were problems with the ship anyway. Result being, the Defiant was being developed BEFORE Wolf 359, and given a ships development cycle it was also started before Q Who.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 11:53 AM   #251
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

I wasn't insulting you, 3DMaster. I wasn't calling you silly, but the movie. I love the movie, but it is silly and packed with unlikely coincidences. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief at those as well as the continuity errors exactly as I have since watching TOS, TNG and the rest. I don't think anything in the film is any worse than what has come before (you obviously disagree).

"Cold hard fact" in Trek is decided by those in charge. They have absolute power over the franchise. If they make an episode set just before "Space Seed" where Kirk passes a bong around the bridge it becomes canon, and part of the TOS story even if everyone quite rightly ignores and hates it. If they say the old guy in STXI is the Spock from TOS, it is. You're free to pretend otherwise. The canon is what future Treks build on and what the tie-in materials have to adhere to. That's all.
It shouldn't matter to you since future Treks are obviously lost to you and I doubt you'll buy any STXI tie ins.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 11:58 AM   #252
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

3D Master wrote: View Post
1. I AM ignoring STXI. Posting in a thread with the very topic is not not ignoring them. If I were not ignoring STXI, I would be posting in every thread under the sun, including gusher threads and speculation threads, and whatnot.
A majority of your posts from the past few days has been in this part of the forum. You even bashed Trek XI in the general forum. You aren't ignoring it if you're constantly discussing it. Ignoring it = You wouldn't be discussing it.

Of course, when you don't like this movie, you're silly. Keep insulting people, have fun with that.
When you don't like the movie, and have spent probably close to two years endlessly reminding everyone... yes, that is silly.

And again, my hatred does not mean that Old Spock is not Spock Prime. If it was Spock Prime I would never argue against it. The problem is, that evidence shows he's not, and, here we get with the other way around AGAIN, the fact that he's not, is one more reason why this movie is horribly bad
You aren't presenting any facts, just opinion, but you aren't aware of that?

It's not fanon, it's a cold hard fact exemplified by the evidence. Just because you and those in charge aren't willing to see the problems with Old Spock versus Spock Prime, doesn't make it any less true.
There aren't any "problems."
Devon is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 11:58 AM   #253
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Oh, and that Defiant thing? Sounds a lot like a continuity gaff you're willing to gloss over and explain away to me
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 12:09 PM   #254
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Oh, and that Defiant thing? Sounds a lot like a continuity gaff you're willing to gloss over and explain away to me
It's not a continuity gaff at all, it fits perfectly.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 31 2010, 12:19 PM   #255
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

^It fits like the Excelsior fits though spacedock doors.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.