RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,841
Posts: 5,327,575
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 582
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 26 2010, 08:03 PM   #166
I-Am-Zim
Captain
 
Location: North Carolina, USA
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

The way I see it, the Kelvin fits just fine between the NX-01 and the Abramsprise. The NX-01 was a small, 80+/- crew starship with primitive (by 23rd century standards) weapons. The Kelvin is a gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and phaser turrets on the saucer. The Abramsprise is an even more flippin hugomongously frakkin gigantically oversized behemoth with probably 12.5 thousand crew that can travel at speeds heretofore unheard of in the Star Trek universe. So yes, in the bigger-is-better Abramsverse, the Kelvin fits just fine.

However, it does not fit between the NX-01 and the TOS Enterprise, in my opinion.

The NX-01 was a small, 80+/- crew starship with primitive (by 23rd century standards) weapons, no tractor beams, and only a couple of shuttle pods. The Kelvin is an gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and phaser turrets on the saucer. The TOS Enterprise is a reasonably sized starship with advanced weaponry, 200-400 crew, tractor beams, several shuttles, smooth surface features, concealed weaponry, and a sleek, understated design style that is truely elegant in its simplicity.

From a purely stylistic standpoint, the Kelvin doesn't fit the design lineage from NX-01 to TOS Enterprise. It works just fine for the Abramsverse though.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim; May 26 2010 at 09:12 PM.
I-Am-Zim is offline  
Old May 26 2010, 11:07 PM   #167
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
<snip> The Kelvin just looked...wrong. That's not saying it wasn't a good looking ship. I liked the design. It just didn't look like an early 23rd century starship should. It looked too much like the TMP refit. Plus there was that lit-up deflector. That was totally out of place. The size issue is debatable. I tend to agree that it was too big, what with 40+/- shuttles!?!? That's one froggin gigantic ship the likes of which is never seen in Trek until at least the 24th century. And I don't even think the Galaxy class had that many shuttles. It just doesn't fit.
<snip>
I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
<snip>
The Kelvin is a gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and <snip>

<snip>
The Kelvin is an gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and <snip>
(emphasis mine)

Where are those shuttle counts coming from, btw? Just curious - I don't think we saw anything near that number of shuttles on-screen in the Kelvin evacuation sequence, nor do I believe that many would necessarily have been required to transport ~800 people.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 26 2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: necessarily
M'Sharak is offline  
Old May 26 2010, 11:18 PM   #168
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Where are those shuttle counts coming from, btw? Just curious - I don't think we saw anything near that number of shuttles on-screen in the Kelvin evacuation sequence, nor do I believe that many would have been required to transport ~800 people.
If you say no more than 20 people fit into one shuttle, you'd need about 40 of them. One must still take into account that they were somewhere in deep space, so help might not have arrived for days, so there needs to be enough air, food and water for everyone in these little shuttles, so you can't put many more people inside than originally intended.
__________________
lol
l
/\

Last edited by JarodRussell; May 26 2010 at 11:30 PM.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 01:37 AM   #169
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
Notice the differences? TNG Rommies have hair.
Nero's wife has hair. Thus the stance of STXI is that Romulans in general have hair, just like all the other Romulans we've ever encountered. So: no difference.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 01:47 AM   #170
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
Simply using recycled dialogue and storylines from past Trek along with numerous cliche' lines and scenes that felt forced at best do not necessarily "connect" the Abramsverse to the original Trek universe.
You may be missing the point of the "recycled dialogue". This callback to TWOK/TSFS is meant to indicate that it's the same Spock who originally spoke those lines, and not just some random coincidence. Similarly, Ambassador Spock is meant to be the same Ambassador Spock we already know, as opposed to a stranger with the same title. These would be the most likely suppositions on the part of the supposedly all-important "average moviegoers". The claim "they do not necessarily connect" is merely a useless appeal to provability, which I'm sure you know to be an impossible goal in any event, especially when explicit authorial intent has already been thrown under the bus. In other words, this film did everything in its power to indicate that it was intended to be the same Spock, and thus refusal to accept this fact is merely contrarianism for its own sake.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 02:36 AM   #171
I-Am-Zim
Captain
 
Location: North Carolina, USA
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
<snip> The Kelvin just looked...wrong. That's not saying it wasn't a good looking ship. I liked the design. It just didn't look like an early 23rd century starship should. It looked too much like the TMP refit. Plus there was that lit-up deflector. That was totally out of place. The size issue is debatable. I tend to agree that it was too big, what with 40+/- shuttles!?!? That's one froggin gigantic ship the likes of which is never seen in Trek until at least the 24th century. And I don't even think the Galaxy class had that many shuttles. It just doesn't fit.
<snip>
I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
<snip>
The Kelvin is a gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and <snip>

<snip>
The Kelvin is an gi-frakkin-gantic, 800+/- crew starship with 37+/- shuttles and <snip>
(emphasis mine)

Where are those shuttle counts coming from, btw? Just curious - I don't think we saw anything near that number of shuttles on-screen in the Kelvin evacuation sequence, nor do I believe that many would necessarily have been required to transport ~800 people.
George Kirk told his wife to get on shuttle #37. That implies that there are at least 37 shuttles, if not more. With 800 crew, about 40 shuttles would be required for everyone to evacuate. And in the opening scene, there were a whole buncha shuttles (I didn't count them) leaving the scene of the Kelvin/Narada skirmish. So 40+/- sounds about right to me. That's one big ol' ship by TOS standards.
I-Am-Zim is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 06:54 AM   #172
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
George Kirk told his wife to get on shuttle #37. That implies that there are at least 37 shuttles, if not more. With 800 crew, about 40 shuttles would be required for everyone to evacuate. And in the opening scene, there were a whole buncha shuttles (I didn't count them) leaving the scene of the Kelvin/Narada skirmish. So 40+/- sounds about right to me. That's one big ol' ship by TOS standards.
1. George Kirk says "Shuttle 37," not "shuttle #37." So that does not technically mean that there are 37 shuttles. And even if it was the 37th shuttle, who's to say that it simply wasn't a replacement for a previous shuttle no longer aboard the ship?

2. There were 19 shuttles that escaped the Kelvin (not counting Robau's). So the Kelvin's shuttle complement was twenty, taking into consideration that there's no reason why every shuttle used wouldn't have been in that scene.

3. I also understand that 40+ people crammed into a shuttle is indeed sardine territory, but that's what the scene implies. Sure, it would have sounded better had the Kelvin had only a crew of, say 300, but it didn't.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 11:38 AM   #173
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

3D Master wrote: View Post
So the mining vessel has to look like a bird of prey? Why? That's like saying all Starfleet vessels have to look the same. They don't.
Whatever it can look like, it can't look like a Shadow Battlecrab from Babylon 5.[/quote]

It can, just like it also doesn't have to look a bird of prey or warbird. No such rule exists except in the minds of a few fans.

And sorry, but yes, all Starfleet vessels may not look exactly the same, but they ALL look alike. Even the massive different design-philosophy of the Defiant-class, even that ship still has the same hull composition and coloring, as well as the same insignias.
Not really. Plus, I should have caught this snafu in your post earlier which I ended up doing the same thing, but you were also making the mistake of lumping the mining vessel with a Romulan military vessel, so why does it have to look like a bird of prey?

*It doesn't*


The Narada-crab, wasn't even anywhere in the neighborhood.
Irrelevant. Mining vessel.

If he didn't know the year, why would he be surprised? If he didn't know the year and saw a Cadet Kirk, any rational person would assume a time/year before Kirk took command of the Enterprise, possibly even, before he even graduated the Academy. Yet he was surprised Kirk wasn't the captain of the Enterprise, despite the fact there has been at least one other captain of the Enterprise, and this Kirk is very young and still cadet uniform and insignias.
Spock just saw Kirk in a black shirt... obviously he didn't know he was a cadet (cadet uniforms being different in the prime universe.) He had no idea what was going on. He looked like the younger Jim Kirk he once knew.

Uh, no, the Galaxy-class was A LOT bigger than TOS Enterprise.
Where did I say it wasn't? Re-read what I said please.

The point is, that the Enterprise in the Prime Universe was the pinnacle that Starfleet had. It also still carries the design and engineering eastetic of the Prime 2280s.
And it still is in the new universe.

Bullshit. It was supposed to look like something designed around the 2200s-2230s prime universe;
According to??? Again, made up.

Nope, logical reasoning.
Where?

Nope, he is not.
Oh well if 3D Master says he isn't then I suppose that makes everyone else in the world wrong.

Then they should still be surprised they're seeing Vulcans in something that doesn't even come close to Vulcan.
So now it's withered down to if they look "surprised" or not. Game over basically.

Old radio transmissions? You think old radio transmissions manage to survive intact enough to be used to decipher not just one language, but three entire dialects of one?
Sure, why not?

As for other references; name them.
References other members of the Federation may have had and shared with Starfleet, Intel, etc. You know, like any other way we have to decipher other languages? This isn't a new concept.

======

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
George Kirk told his wife to get on shuttle #37. That implies that there are at least 37 shuttles, if not more. With 800 crew, about 40 shuttles would be required for everyone to evacuate. And in the opening scene, there were a whole buncha shuttles (I didn't count them) leaving the scene of the Kelvin/Narada skirmish. So 40+/- sounds about right to me. That's one big ol' ship by TOS standards.
Then you would have to say that the TOS Enterprise had at least 7 shuttles because of the Galileo 7 shuttlecraft. We only ever saw 1 or 2, at once if we were lucky.
Devon is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 12:47 PM   #174
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Devon wrote: View Post
Then you would have to say that the TOS Enterprise had at least 7 shuttles because of the Galileo 7 shuttlecraft. We only ever saw 1 or 2, at once if we were lucky.
I think that might be a common misconception. The shuttle was the Galileo. The 7 was the seven crew on board.

Previously shuttles were primarily for exploration and life pods were for emergency evacuations (noted specifically on the TMP Enterprise). It looks as though they have moved towards shuttles being the primary means of evacuation. Perhaps the life pods are only needed where a saucer separation has been required and the shuttle bay isn't available? At any rate, they now need larger shuttle bays otherwise they can't evacuate quickly(shuttles are normally kept parked up and would need to be moved to the landing bay and prepped before flight).
Pauln6 is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 01:32 PM   #175
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
Then you would have to say that the TOS Enterprise had at least 7 shuttles because of the Galileo 7 shuttlecraft. We only ever saw 1 or 2, at once if we were lucky.
I think that might be a common misconception. The shuttle was the Galileo. The 7 was the seven crew on board.
The "7" was also in reference to the shuttle's registry number--NCC-1701/7--displayed prominently on its flanks and along its nacelles.

Conversely, the Shuttlecraft Columbus (seen in TOS-R) had the registry NCC-1701/2.

But even before TOS-R, I think it always was quite plausible that there were indeed seven shuttles on the original Enterprise, presumably all named after famous Earth explorers, IMO. It might be standard operational procedure, however, to only have one or two shuttles ready for quick launch.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 01:52 PM   #176
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
Then you would have to say that the TOS Enterprise had at least 7 shuttles because of the Galileo 7 shuttlecraft. We only ever saw 1 or 2, at once if we were lucky.
I think that might be a common misconception. The shuttle was the Galileo. The 7 was the seven crew on board.
The "7" was also in reference to the shuttle's registry number--NCC-1701/7--displayed prominently on its flanks and along its nacelles.

Conversely, the Shuttlecraft Columbus (seen in TOS-R) had the registry NCC-1701/2.

But even before TOS-R, I think it always was quite plausible that there were indeed seven shuttles on the original Enterprise, presumably all named after famous Earth explorers, IMO. It might be standard operational procedure, however, to only have one or two shuttles ready for quick launch.
Ah cool - I never noticed that. The information and shuttle bay in the TMP Enterprise is more detailed but I think the assumption was that they had a small number of shuttles and then a larger number of small auxilliary craft (such as work bees). The shuttles have to be retrieved from a parking area by elevator before they can be used.
Pauln6 is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 02:26 PM   #177
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Devon wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
So the mining vessel has to look like a bird of prey? Why? That's like saying all Starfleet vessels have to look the same. They don't.
Whatever it can look like, it can't look like a Shadow Battlecrab from Babylon 5.
It can, just like it also doesn't have to look a bird of prey or warbird. No such rule exists except in the minds of a few fans.[/quote]

Wrong. The only place it doesn't exist, is in people who refuse to apply any sense of logic.

And sorry, but yes, all Starfleet vessels may not look exactly the same, but they ALL look alike. Even the massive different design-philosophy of the Defiant-class, even that ship still has the same hull composition and coloring, as well as the same insignias.
Not really.
Yes, really.

Plus, I should have caught this snafu in your post earlier which I ended up doing the same thing, but you were also making the mistake of lumping the mining vessel with a Romulan military vessel, so why does it have to look like a bird of prey?
It has to look like it comes from the same species, the same culture, at least. Thus similar construction and design philosophies must exist. Then there's the fact that as a totalitarian government, the likelihood of private mining ships are extremely small, which would have given you the only chance at least somewhat different a design and even than it would be extremely small. The Shadow Battle-crab: no.
Irrelevant. Mining vessel.
Mining vessel is irrelevant.

Spock just saw Kirk in a black shirt... obviously he didn't know he was a cadet (cadet uniforms being different in the prime universe.) He had no idea what was going on. He looked like the younger Jim Kirk he once knew.
Not really, he looks a whole lot younger.

And it still is in the new universe.
Irrelevant.

According to??? Again, made up.
According to simple reasoning. The date was 2233, and according to the movie that is the Prime Universe until Nero's arrival split it up. Therefor in 2233, and given a potential age, it should look like 2230s Prime Universe.

It doesn't, therefor it isn't.

Where?
Everywhere.

Oh well if 3D Master says he isn't then I suppose that makes everyone else in the world wrong.
No, when logical reasoning says he isn't, and everyone else in the world doesn't apply that reasoning, they're wrong.

Old radio transmissions? You think old radio transmissions manage to survive intact enough to be used to decipher not just one language, but three entire dialects of one?
Sure, why not?
Good cloud cover, and a simple tunnel is enough to reduce the signal to noise on a system designed to specifically read that signal. If you think enough of a signal manages to get to the nearest solar system having to avoid planets, asteroids, comets, but especially ions in space and solar radiation and storms to get even one word intact to the nearest solar system, you're mistaken. Let alone have to cross multiple solar systems and manage to get even one entire language out of it, let alone three distinct dialects.

As for other references; name them.
References other members of the Federation may have had and shared with Starfleet, Intel, etc. You know, like any other way we have to decipher other languages? This isn't a new concept.
The Romulans have always been secretive. They're going to be protecting knowledge of themselves and their language from ever other species equally.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 04:21 PM   #178
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

A quick mini-questionnaire for 3DMaster and the other members of thr "It absolutely must be an alternate universe" brigade:

1. Do you believe Enterprise takes place in the same universe as TOS?

2. What about TNG? Do you think "Unification" Spock is the same guy from TOS?

3. Do you believe anything other than utter mindless slavish devotion to the TOS canon is allowed in any Star Trek?

Just trying to understand your POV's a little better.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 04:57 PM   #179
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
A quick mini-questionnaire for 3DMaster and the other members of thr "It absolutely must be an alternate universe" brigade:

1. Do you believe Enterprise takes place in the same universe as TOS?
Nope.

2. What about TNG? Do you think "Unification" Spock is the same guy from TOS?
Yep.

3. Do you believe anything other than utter mindless slavish devotion to the TOS canon is allowed in any Star Trek?
Nope.
3D Master is offline  
Old May 27 2010, 05:18 PM   #180
I-Am-Zim
Captain
 
Location: North Carolina, USA
Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
A quick mini-questionnaire for 3DMaster and the other members of thr "It absolutely must be an alternate universe" brigade:

1. Do you believe Enterprise takes place in the same universe as TOS?
Hmmm. I'd like to believe it doesn't (I'm not a big ENT fan), but unfortunately, it has to. Although there are numerous canon errors in ENT that can't be justified, there are also references to TOS and Trek's future that tie ENT in with the rest of the Trek universe. So, I suppose my answer to that one would be yep.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
2. What about TNG? Do you think "Unification" Spock is the same guy from TOS?
Yes. I have no reason not to believe so.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
3. Do you believe anything other than utter mindless slavish devotion to the TOS canon is allowed in any Star Trek?
Well...I would prefer at least some adherance to the established canon in any series that claims to be in the same universe and timeline as the Star Trek we all know and love. That's why I prefer to think of STXI as a completely separate alternate universe that has little in common with the original Trek. Simply because there is absolutely no adherence to any of the established TOS continuity except for the names. Although there are numerous errors throughout Trek's 44 year history, for the most part, the overall continuity is pretty consistent. There are things we know and things that are left somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation. I can't say "yes" or "no" to that question because it is too direct. I would expect adherance to the established canon that we know, but that which is ambiguous can be interepreted in many ways as long as it still fits in with what is firmly established.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Just trying to understand your POV's a little better.
Hope this helps. My POV is basically that I don't agree with JJA's alternate timeline/reality/universe/whatchamajigger approach to sidestepping the existing canon so that he could essentially "reboot" the Star Trek universe. My POV is that there were many, many, many exciting and entertaining stories that could have been told while still adhering to the established continuity of the TOS universe. All they needed were writers who were creative enough to do it. To me, the use of the alternate whatever was just lazy writing. I'm not saying I could have done better, but better writers could have. If STXI is the best this writing team has to offer, I'm not impressed.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim; May 27 2010 at 06:02 PM.
I-Am-Zim is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.