The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Chrisisall
Commodore

My change of heart Re: Nu Enterprise- anyone agree?

I fully accept the Nu E as being equal to the MP Refit E.
I never hated it as some did, in fact I kinda liked it from the start. But it has grown on me like a Denibian fungus.
If only Diamond Select could do a good Nu E!!!

Still, the Original one is best IMO.

Opinions?
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 01:49 AM   #2
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Re: My change of heart Re: Nu Enterprise- anyone agree?

I respect your opinion, and I realize that a lot of people like it, and that's fine, but I absolutely loathe that bloated kitbash. I hate the Abramsprise with a passion the likes of which the known universe has never seen, nor will ever see again. There is no word in the Englinsh, or any other language ever conceived that can adequately convey the depth of my hatred and disgust of that ugly, disproportionate caracature of Matt Jeffries' eleganty beautiful starship. And that's all I have to say on the subject.
I-Am-Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Chrisisall
Commodore

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post
I absolutely loathe that bloated kitbash. I hate the Abramsprise with a passion the likes of which the known universe has never seen, nor will ever see again. There is no word in the Englinsh, or any other language ever conceived that can adequately convey the depth of my hatred and disgust of that ugly, disproportionate caracature of Matt Jeffries' eleganty beautiful starship. And that's all I have to say on the subject.
Okay, noted. But as an aside, do you like the Original series one better, or the MP Refit? Just curious.

I *love* the Original, and if I'd had my way, it would NEVER have been radically changed, save for the hull texture the Remastered series lent to it. Yeah, a few minor things could have been subtly re-worked, but the Refit went too far, IMO. I *love* the clean lines of the OS E!
Old May 12 2010, 02:55 AM   #4
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

The new Enterprise is still my favorite, a full year after its debut. IMO, it is my childhood Enterprise with more muscle and improved lines.
Old May 12 2010, 03:08 AM   #5
Chrisisall
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
The new Enterprise is still my favorite, a full year after its debut. IMO, it is my childhood Enterprise with more muscle and improved lines.
I can agree to a point, yet the Original, with its clean lines & multi-coloured nacelle heads is still MY favourite.
But yeah, the new one sure is shiny!
Old May 12 2010, 03:47 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

A year later and it still feels wrong...

I think they were close, just needed to work on the proportions and spacing of the nacelles.
Old May 12 2010, 03:54 AM   #7
Chrisisall
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
A year later and it still feels wrong...

I think they were close, just needed to work on the proportions and spacing of the nacelles.
I would have spaced them in closer lines with the originals myself, yes. Everything else is okay with me IMO.
Old May 12 2010, 04:22 AM   #8
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Okay, noted. But as an aside, do you like the Original series one better, or the MP Refit? Just curious.

I *love* the Original, and if I'd had my way, it would NEVER have been radically changed, save for the hull texture the Remastered series lent to it. Yeah, a few minor things could have been subtly re-worked, but the Refit went too far, IMO. I *love* the clean lines of the OS E!
I like the original the best. The refit is awesome, but like you said, they went too far with the redesign. It didn't look like a "natural" evolution of the original design. I still like it, though. But the Abramsprise, no. I can't get past the strange proportions or the extra "greebles" that just look out of place. It looks like a kitbash of the TMP saucer with "alien ship of the week" parts slapped on for good measure. Matt Jeffries' original design was clean, simple, elegant, and perfectly proportioned. All it needed was some more surface texturing and more detail. Look up Deg3d and Vektor for absolutely brilliant interpretations of the original. Both are on this forum.
Old May 12 2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Chrisisall
Commodore

I-Am-Zim wrote: View Post

I like the original the best.

Yeah, baby!!!
Old May 12 2010, 07:34 AM   #10
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

I like both It is sexy now the Abramsprise sorry
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Captain Rob
Commodore

Doesn't everyone like all of the "It's a completely different ship than from TOS or the movies." that we hear from JJ and Co. And then the art book comes out and there's a diagram of the refit-E with some changes doodled on it.
I wonder if you can interchange the primary hulls from a nuEnterprise model and a refit-Enterprise model. If you can; can you tell the difference.
Old May 12 2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Devon
Fleet Captain

Not that I'm a huge fan of the design, but after seeing the nuEnterprise for so long now the old Enterprise is starting to look weird.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Captain Rob
Commodore

What if you made an exact 1:1 scale copy of the original filming model in the NASM and super-detailed it for movies? Somebody restored a photograph of the innards of the nacelle caps and is on a previously mentioned website somewhere. So a accurate LED version could be done. We could see previously unseen details such as escape pod covers and flush-mounted RCS thrusters and hatches.
Old May 12 2010, 01:28 PM   #14
I-Am-Zim
Captain

This thread http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=vektor shows what Vektor has done with the TOS Enterprise. I think it is one of the best "updates" of the original design that I have seen. IMO, this ship would have looked fabulous on the big screen. Something like this was what I was actually expecting to see in STXI. What I saw was, well, disappointing to say the least.

And this one http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=...ighlight=deg3d is from Deg3d. I love them both. I'm sort of torn between these. They are both absolutely amazing. Deg's is the more "faithful" of the two, but Vektor's is more modernized. I'll just say that either would have worked just fine. I love 'em both!
Old May 12 2010, 01:44 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

For me, I simply regarded the nuEnterprise as being the product of an alternate universe where designs took a similar, but ultimately different path than they did in the prime universe. The nuEnterprise is flashier, more elaborate, and has a lot more "bling," but ultimately it really didn't do anything than the original Enterprise couldn't do, IMO. I imagine that the original Enterprise would have fared the same way against the Narada.

Personally, I like both designs and think they each fit perfectly for the different eras/universes they were made for. I may be in the minority, but I'm not knocking either design. I'll take 'em both.