Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 10 2010, 04:47 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Are you a Blu-Ray & 3D skeptic?

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Yawn, another "Oh what's the point of better technology" thread... On a SciFi forum???? Are you for real?

Or is this the luddite forum?
Like I said, there is no standard for 3D television. I would be far more likely to buy into it if there was. As it stands, you could buy a 3D TV right now and whatever standard eventually DOES come up, might not be compatible. Why take that risk?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 05:01 AM   #17
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

No interest in 3D TV, but I set up the DVD and Blu-Ray of Avatar side by side the other day... and you'd have to be a complete moron not to be able to tell a HUGE difference.
Old May 10 2010, 05:12 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The BD of Avatar is cum-worthy.
Old May 10 2010, 05:29 AM   #19
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I showed a friend the film for the first time, but I showed her the DVD version for a minute or so first. It was a "holy crap, I'm sold" moment.
Old May 10 2010, 05:32 AM   #20
mswood
Rear Admiral

Right now I couldn't care a rats ass about 3-D.

But for Blu-Ray hell to the Yes.

With a few points.

If all you are watching is a vast library of old tv titles, then I can understand not wanting to.

But even with TV broadcasts and the newer tv shows, you can easily, easily tell a vast difference. Heck even 780 is a big improvement let alone 1080. And for film (again certain films are shoot on very poor grain, and thus less noticable improvement), but for most films and certainly most any blockbuster there is a huge, huge difference. Of course, another issue is what are you displaying your media on. The higher the quality of your tv the more you will be able to notice.
Old May 10 2010, 05:41 AM   #21
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I think it's stupid to introduce these new luxury items during the Second Great Depression. And, yes, that's what it is even though people won't bring themselves to admit it. They shouldn't strong-arm people into making these types of purchases during times like these.
Anybody who buys a luxury item(especially now)because they felt "strong armed" into it is an idiot and deserves to get ripped off.

I buy things when I want them, not because society tells me I need to.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 05:49 AM   #22
Rii
Rear Admiral

I've adopted Blu-Ray, but only for films which I feel benefit enough from the additional resolution to justify the additional cost and which I don't already own. The only films I'd be willing to double dip on are the LOTR EEs. Incidentally, I was furious yesterday when I popped in District 9 on Blu-Ray and was immediately treated an unskippable trailer for some Michael Jackson production. Fuckers are pushing their luck, I'm not exactly averse to piracy.

3D? Nah. I don't mind it, but I'm not paying for it either.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 05:52 AM   #23
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Yawn, another "Oh what's the point of better technology" thread... On a SciFi forum???? Are you for real?

Or is this the luddite forum?
Like I said, there is no standard for 3D television. I would be far more likely to buy into it if there was. As it stands, you could buy a 3D TV right now and whatever standard eventually DOES come up, might not be compatible. Why take that risk?
Then you are misinformed. There is a standard. Most devices that are being sold now are supporting it, or will through a future firmware update.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 05:54 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I meant the TVs themselves. There is no standard for 3D televisions. Not yet, anyway.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 10 2010, 06:16 AM   #25
Hyperspace05
Commodore

What standard do you need? There is an HDMI spec for delivering 3D content in various resolutions - HDMI 1.4(a) - for 3D blu-ray and 3d broadcast content. (You can find info about it here) THIS IS THE STANDARD. So any 3D blu-ray player can connect to any 3D TV.

What else do you want??? Do you want a standardized 3d glasses? Why? The standard is agnostic when it comes to how the 3D is displayed. If a manufacturer comes up a TV with better glasses (or a display with no need for glasses), it will still accept the 3D standard content. This is a future-proof standard for stereoscopic 3D content.

Any further 'standardization' will just lock down progress. You all want your 3D blu-rays to be playable in the future without glasses, right???

Last edited by Hyperspace05; May 10 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 10 2010, 06:25 AM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Even after a few years I'm still not sold on Blu-Ray yet. Sure the cost of hardware has come way down and the movie discs themselves have also become more reasonably priced. But I'm still not sold.

Except in some applications I still don't see enough of a difference to convince me to leap for it until I absolutely have to. The other criticism I have is that discs seem to take so damned long to load.

Maybe it has partly to do with growing up with B&W CRT television, then colour, VHS and then finally DVD.

And now there's 3D. Maybe it's my eyes but while I can see some extra depth I don't notice a huge difference. There's also the fact that you need expensive eye wear to watch it. Until they can do 3D without glasses and not have to be pretty much at right angles to the screen I see it all as just a gimmick.

Of course I feel much the same about expensive home theatre systems. It might well be nice, but every time I've been exposed to it it seems as if it's just an excuse to play everything too damned loud. As far as I can see you won't hear the great clarity for long because you'll make your self deaf.

Maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud.
When I first showed DVDs played on my HD-DVD player, everyone immediately noticed the difference between regular DVD res, and the upconverting. The DVDs looks as good as the dedicated HD-DVD discs...so nope, I'm not a skeptic at all about Bluray.

3D is another matter, I know its better than the old 3D process, but I don't really have a particular interest in it.

RAMA
Old May 10 2010, 06:31 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

The standard is agnostic when it comes to how the 3D is displayed. If a manufacturer comes up with better glasses (or a display with no need for glasses), it will still accept the 3D standard content.
I see. And you're sure about this, are you? Can you give a link?
Old May 10 2010, 06:36 AM   #28
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The standard is agnostic when it comes to how the 3D is displayed. If a manufacturer comes up with better glasses (or a display with no need for glasses), it will still accept the 3D standard content.
I see. And you're sure about this, are you? Can you give a link?
Yes. It is called HDMI 1.4(a). If your TV supports this input, then it is 3D ready. AFAIK all 3D televisions now on sale support it. All new 3D blu-ray players support it. Older 3D capable blu-ray players will support it after a firmware upgrade. Heck, even PS3's are receiving 3D support via a firmware upgrade. (or have already received it)
Old May 10 2010, 06:38 AM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I know what HDMI is. As I said, I'm concerned with the TVs themselves. Will any 3D television, regardless of its specific method of displaying 3D, be able to display any 3D blu-ray or cable/satellite channel *IN 3D*, regardless of how that blu-ray or channel is encoded? Aren't blu-rays and TV channels encoded with a specific method of 3D, which may or may not be compatible with the actual TVs?
Old May 10 2010, 06:49 AM   #30
BigFoot
Admiral

I've been buying Blu-rays for about a year and a half now and own more then 130 titles. So that would be a no.

However, I'm not a huge fan of 3D, at least as long as 3D glasses are required.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote